Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 08:04 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I guess part of this depends on how many hours they are asking their employees to work. If they are expecting the working hours of one person, but want them to know multiple jobs that is much different than expecting them to work many more hours to get the multiple jobs done.
YUP!

I can't even count how many coworkers I've had who whined about having additional responsibilities due to changes in business or staffing but when pressed would acknowledge that yup they are still coming in at 8:00, taking an hour lunch, and leaving at 5:00. "But I'm doing three jobs now!" No you aren't, you are working eight hours per day like the rest of us. Your job duties have evolved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 05:37 AM

989 posts, read 1,877,530 times
This "it's not my job" mentality will make you extinct in no time. There are pools of highly educated and skilled applicants all over the world who are looking for work, and would have no issue whatsoever with wearing multiple hats. I'm in the same situation as well, and so I'm not just blowing hot air.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:56 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
This "it's not my job" mentality will make you extinct in no time. There are pools of highly educated and skilled applicants all over the world who are looking for work, and would have no issue whatsoever with wearing multiple hats. I'm in the same situation as well, and so I'm not just blowing hot air.
I agree 100%. Having multiple responsibilities helps you stay employed. Just doing ONE thing everyday at your job makes you one dimensional

Old 02-10-2011, 09:14 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,592,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenScoutII View Post
I don't mind going the extra mile and doing more than what is expected of me to help the company succeed, but I know when I'm being screwed.
Superb post. Never lose that about yourself. There's a fine line between abuse and maximizing the positives. Good luck

Old 02-10-2011, 06:36 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenScoutII View Post
I know when I'm being screwed.
Octo-Mom probably does not, at least not anymore.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:15 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
I've said this many times, in a number of threads - the more advanced technology gets the fewer people needed to do the job. Technology has allowed us to do more in less time thus making it feasible to put 1 to 4 positions into one with no additional hours needed. Look for this to increase in the coming years.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:52 AM

207 posts, read 501,200 times
I've seen this. My career is untechnical by definition, but I see postings all the time asking for a business analyst with

- Project Management experience
- A few languages
- System testing experience

It makes no sense. The worst is that some companies are combining jobs that need to be separate.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:07 PM

531 posts, read 1,177,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
YUP!

I can't even count how many coworkers I've had who whined about having additional responsibilities due to changes in business or staffing but when pressed would acknowledge that yup they are still coming in at 8:00, taking an hour lunch, and leaving at 5:00. "But I'm doing three jobs now!" No you aren't, you are working eight hours per day like the rest of us. Your job duties have evolved.
I agree! If I am still working 9-5, it actually benefit me for taking on more responsibilities. Atleast I believe my resume looks better with added new responsibilities I did a lot of OT on my previous job but I also learned a lot from my manager. The company even spent another 4K by senting me out for a week training/certification class.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:52 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Someday View Post
I've seen this. My career is untechnical by definition, but I see postings all the time asking for a business analyst with

- Project Management experience
- A few languages
- System testing experience

It makes no sense. The worst is that some companies are combining jobs that need to be separate.
Sometimes it's to create one f/t as opposed to 2-3 p/t positions...

Old 02-12-2011, 02:54 PM

207 posts, read 501,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Sometimes it's to create one f/t as opposed to 2-3 p/t positions...
But I'm thinking of IT. Say you want a programmer, it makes little sense to have your programmer be the one who solicites requirements, programs, then tests their own program because you know what? They are going to create their program the way they want to understand it, and when getting requirements they won't be open to things they don't currently know how to do, and that will lead to inadequate solutions.

And getting someone to test their own work? They will most likely not test it against likely scenarios that they haven't accounted for.

This is why several PT jobs might make more sense. Although in IT, it's easy to get people to do contract work.

So even though it's cheaper to create one job instead of 2-3, it's not nearly as valuable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment