Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 03:41 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times

Advertisements

After my neighbor alerted me to the secretary/concubine position she found during her job search, I wrote about in this thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ay-what-i.html

I decided to look around at what else was on offer from local employers on craigslist.org and I found another doozy. Thankfully this one did not hint at sexual contact as part of the job duties, but nonetheless, it was still ridiculous in scope.

Here is the text of the ad:

Quote:
Legal Secretary / Office Manager / Administrative Assistant (Great Neck)

This is a job like no other. Successful candidate will wear many hats. On the one hand you will be doing some typical legal secretarial work. On the other hand you will be handling all managerial aspects of a small office including some light quick books. On the other hand you will be taking calls and fulfilling orders for a candy brand company. We are looking for a candidate with legal secretarial experience who is willing to take on many other roles in a growing business. The office managerial aspects will be taught with on the job training. This is a fun and dynamic position with growing company that is moving to new offices in Great Neck. Friendly, bright, decent computer skills, a nice phone presence are necessary qualities.

Send Resume via email with a one paragraph cover letter explaining how you are the right candidate for this job as specifically posted. Full time: Monday - Friday 9:00 -- 5:00 $14 per hour.

• Compensation: Full time: Monday - Friday 9:00 -- 5:00 $14 per hour
• Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
• do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers
I'll say that's a job like no other! That's 3 jobs in one. I love how you get to take orders for candy, plus box that up and ship it out too! All that for the princely sum of $14 an hour. I think the candy order taker/packer/shipper alone is worth $14 an hour; the office manager is worth maybe twice that and an experienced legal secretary on LI should get at least $20 an hour or more. They are officially insane in what they want. Especially bearing in mind that Great Neck, NY is a VERY HIGH COST OF LIVING AREA. Compare it on one of the cost of living calculators and you will see. Look up the real estate and you will see what it costs to buy or rent there and you couldn't get a cardboard box in Great Neck on $14 an hour.

I especially like the part in the posting that says to send "a one paragraph cover letter explaining how you are the right candidate for this job as specifically posted." So they want the applicant to grovel too? What would you write? Hmm, let's see ... "I am the biggest sucker in the whole wide world!" or "My probation officer says if I don't get a job THIS WEEK it's jail for me!" I bet rambler could write an absolutely beautiful paragraph for them (hint, hint)!

Here's the link, for those who think I might be trolling this up:

Legal Secretary / Office Manager / Administrative Assistant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 04:27 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,293,365 times
Around here the candy packer would be making 8 or 9 dollars an hour, so the $14 an hour is way over paid, but I am guessing it is a small part of the work week. The $14 an hour is well within the salary range of a new hire secretary.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:13 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,748,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Around here the candy packer would be making 8 or 9 dollars an hour, so the $14 an hour is way over paid, but I am guessing it is a small part of the work week. The $14 an hour is well within the salary range of a new hire secretary.
and you are from Great Neck NY?

If not, how can you label that position as..........."way over paid " ?

Old 01-07-2014, 06:00 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,037,280 times
My favorites are the ones that basically require 2 degrees and a pile of experience in both fields, such as combination electrical / mechanical engineers, aerospace / chemical engineers, etc. It's a joke - there are very few people like that in real life, and there's no way they would have the time to meet all the job requirements (which basically amount to 40 hours a week in each engineering role.) But, hey - it's cheaper than hiring 2 different people, so it must be a good idea... right...

Old 01-07-2014, 06:43 PM

69 posts, read 138,335 times
lol that's literally my job...I do program administration, take orders for promotional materials, pack and ship them, do the customer service for that (someone didn't get their package, needs to reschedule delivery, not happy with the materials, etc.), and I manage the physical office (so I coordinate repairs and cleaning, do the decorating, make sure we have supplies, etc.).
They're also going to put me in charge of the interns soon so that should be fun.

I make a little more than that, but still not nearly what I should be making, given the duties.
It's more common than you'd think (especially in this economy and with so many recent grads running around) for people to take these kinds of jack of all trades jobs for not so good pay.

It's better than nothing, and at least you are really getting alot of experience and acquiring some good skills.
Plus there's never a dull moment in the day.
Also I get to keep my clothes on.
So it's not all bad.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:33 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,293,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
and you are from Great Neck NY?

If not, how can you label that position as..........."way over paid " ?
I guess like I did.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:58 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,400,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
After my neighbor alerted me to the secretary/concubine position she found during her job search, I wrote about in this thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ay-what-i.html

I decided to look around at what else was on offer from local employers on craigslist.org and I found another doozy. Thankfully this one did not hint at sexual contact as part of the job duties, but nonetheless, it was still ridiculous in scope.

Here is the text of the ad:

I'll say that's a job like no other! That's 3 jobs in one. I love how you get to take orders for candy, plus box that up and ship it out too! All that for the princely sum of $14 an hour. I think the candy order taker/packer/shipper alone is worth $14 an hour; the office manager is worth maybe twice that and an experienced legal secretary on LI should get at least $20 an hour or more. They are officially insane in what they want. Especially bearing in mind that Great Neck, NY is a VERY HIGH COST OF LIVING AREA. Compare it on one of the cost of living calculators and you will see. Look up the real estate and you will see what it costs to buy or rent there and you couldn't get a cardboard box in Great Neck on $14 an hour.

I especially like the part in the posting that says to send "a one paragraph cover letter explaining how you are the right candidate for this job as specifically posted." So they want the applicant to grovel too? What would you write? Hmm, let's see ... "I am the biggest sucker in the whole wide world!" or "My probation officer says if I don't get a job THIS WEEK it's jail for me!" I bet rambler could write an absolutely beautiful paragraph for them (hint, hint)!

Here's the link, for those who think I might be trolling this up:

Legal Secretary / Office Manager / Administrative Assistant
I can't comment on the whether the salary is fair for your area, but I don't see an issue with the duties and responsibilities listed.

This would be a great job for someone who likes to keep busy and have variety in their day. It's also provides an opportunity to gain a range of valuable experience - light accounting, office management, customer service, experience in multi-tasking and prioritizing.

I'm an executive assistant and I wear many "hats" so that wouldn't bother me one bit. If I was unemployed and opportunities were not bountiful, I would consider applying for this position.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:40 PM

595 posts, read 2,703,556 times
That's sounds about par for the course. What is ridiculous in scope is a job ad a former employer of mine put out looking for an Accounting Assistant that read like it was seeking a fully certified CPA. I was tasked with phone screening all the applicants and after the fourth person laughed and told me that my employer was crazy when I told them the salary ($25K with no bene's) I went to my boss and told her she better pull the ad as people were laughing at her. She thought *I* was the crazy one until one awesome guy she phone screened herself told her flat out that the job ad she had posted in no way warranted any less than 70K per year.

As to the many hats, I was just promoted from a job like this making $13 per hour. I don't make too much more in my new position and it's significantly more hats to wear, but it'll look good on my resume and I don't plan to stay full time after getting my RDH license and can start back to working clinically. But those jobs do exist and they do underpay when it comes down to the details.

But if you need a job, you'll wear whatever hat they want you to wear when it comes down to it.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:18 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,462,953 times
It doesn't surprise me. They have been trying that in my area when unemployment was high. They try and get the most bang for their buck, and work the person till they quit and find another. I can't say if all of those would be too much. However, for that wage I would be skeptical of the job...and anyone who would take it.

The worst so far was a position open for a senior research scientist. They wanted some one who had a long track record of running multiple labs and studies in the millions of dollars doing cutting edge stuff. This was managing a staff of over 30 people including PRA's, students, and other PhD's. The pay scale on the website was....~$17 an hour. Looking it up on indeed the base salary was over $200,000 in the area.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:23 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
The worst so far was a position open for a senior research scientist. They wanted some one who had a long track record of running multiple labs and studies in the millions of dollars doing cutting edge stuff. This was managing a staff of over 30 people including PRA's, students, and other PhD's. The pay scale on the website was....~$17 an hour. Looking it up on indeed the base salary was over $200,000 in the area.
That is pretty much the going rate for everyone in science nowadays $12-20 per hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment