Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 04:21 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,642,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaEagle View Post
Im just considering all possibilities.
If you are considering all possibilities why not sell drugs, prostitute yourself, or rob a store....

I mean if you are seriously still considering being illegal and committing serious crimes why not consider even the more unsavory methods to earn cash?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 04:32 PM

335 posts, read 1,312,440 times
The IRS knows so the UI will know.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:37 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,041,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
I didn't say he would be charged with telling a lie.
You said:
Just because he won't be punished for being dishonest, does not mean that he was not dishonest. Those are two different things.
If the IRS gets a 1099 and cannot match it to a tax return filed using that SSN, they will automatically send you a bill for an amount that they will "assume" you owe. It will then be your problem to prove you don't owe it.

No person has to do anything. It will be found by a computer, the computer will generate a letter and it will be mailed - all without human intervention.
If you supply a fake SSN or the SSN of someone else, it could possibly just get lost in the shuffle as far as you're concerned.

If you were to, say, use my SSN then it would be my problem to prove that I didn't get that $6k from that client.

The thing is; the 1099 will also have your name on it.

If you have decided that you will not attempt to make restitution, then I would fake the SSN and "kick the can down the road." You might get off. I don't know your whole situation. Maybe it's worth the risk.

If you get caught, then it will cost you more at that time. Interest and penalties from the IRS can be really punative. It's possible to turn $6,000 into a $20,000 obligation - TO THE IRS.
Great post. Excellent advice and it makes sense.

OP, I would still check with a tax attorney on this one. Just pay him for the hour and don't give your real name (just in case there's some secret law where he might have to report you or something. Hey, you neva know?) and ask him these questions. Or pay a tax accountant for his/her advice.

I wouldn't give the social out nor your address. There might be a dozen or so peeps with your last name.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
It doesn't matter what you did in the past. You were intentionally and quite deliberately committing fraud.

Talk to an attorney. States are broke and I can tell you from having worked in payroll for the past few years it is amazing how jurisdictions are going after employees for wage attachments aka garnishments faster and more aggressive than a few years ago. It is because they need the money and can't afford to be not collecting from debtors OR in your case can't afford to be paying people who commit fraud.

Talk to an attorney. The longer you wait the risk you develop increases
100% agree with the highlighted. Find a tax attorney. Borrow some money to pay his fee for an hour (or half hour). Your question is very simple and don't use your real name.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:41 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,774,110 times
You guys are being paranoid. A lawyer cannot divulge anything you say to anyone else, except for child abuse I think (certainly nothing in the tax codes).

If you find a lawyer that will sell you legal advice without even knowing your name, that's not a lawyer I would use!

Old 02-09-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
If you are considering all possibilities why not sell drugs, prostitute yourself, or rob a store....

I mean if you are seriously still considering being illegal and committing serious crimes why not consider even the more unsavory methods to earn cash?
Why are you trippin'?

Cut it out. If you have nothing positive to say, then dip.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
You guys are being paranoid. A lawyer cannot divulge anything you say to anyone else, except for child abuse I think (certainly nothing in the tax codes).

If you find a lawyer that will sell you legal advice without even knowing your name, that's not a lawyer I would use!
LOL! I know I'm being paranoid JS1, but there are so many laws being passed these days that no one seems to know about until AFTER *ish hits the fan.

But yeah, the lawyer probably won't say anything, but it doesn't hurt to be safe just in case.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:53 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,585,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaEagle View Post
Ive been on unemployment for over a year. Earlier in 2010 while collecting unemployment I did a side job making a website for someone for 8000. I was desperate for money and didnt tell unemployment that I worked this side job. Now its tax time and the client wants me to tell them my ss number and put me down as 1099. I havent given them my ss number yet. What should I do. I dont want to get into trouble. Im afraid if i tell them they willl tell the IRS and then unemployment will find out and ill get in deep trouble. I was desperate for money what should I do? Thanks
In the end there is only one piece of advice worth while here. ! DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL" if there is no signed W9 form then there can't be a valid 1099 form !. End of story.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:57 PM

23 posts, read 60,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
My apologies if I did so but I don't think I did. Please explain/quote. Thanks.

PS: Oops, my bad. It gets a little tangled. You THINK you did nothing wrong but now understand that you really did do something wrong. You really should have known that working for a job which paid you what you thought was a quick $8K under the table wasn't on the up and up. And now you're looking for ways to dodge the system.

I'm sorry that the responses here haven't met your expectations and that your DMs have been curtailed but hopefully all will work out for you and that you'll soon be gainfully employed, All the best!

where did I post that i did nothing wrong?

Old 02-09-2011, 04:58 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,642,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Why are you trippin'?

Cut it out. If you have nothing positive to say, then dip.
Are you kidding? Because I won't pander to the poster who wants someone to provide him the pat on the head and say oh we understand, they won't ever find out!

Sorry I don't really see the difference between what he did and the other crimes I posted--- and he is obviously not unwilling to continue his illegal activity in the hopes that UI won't find out or the IRS (basing on an assumption here of his other post where he is obviously shrewd enough to know the difference between cash basis accounting and accrual basis).

Personally, I find it repugnant. There are a lot of our fellow posters who have very limited UI or no UI now, who are at the risk of losing their homes, but they still have not attempted to defraud the state nor their fellow taxpayers (and I'm sure to those 8k would be well appreciated even if received over a period of weeks or months). It is wrong. I would think it shady if we are only talking about a few hundred dollars, but the fact we are talking about 8k--- not an meager sum of money all things considered--- I find it worse.

The poster from his words and sentiment does not sound like he came here to find out the best way he can right the laws he broke, he sounds as if he came here hoping for advice or comfort that no one will find out or how he can arrange it so no one finds out thereby continuing his fraud.

And btw, to the OP. I have worked on the side of the company when we didn't have the SSN or the vendor didn't provide info timely or were trying to pull one one the company-- those vendors went on a do not use list-- and good luck trying to get a reference out of them for the work you did if you try to even be somewhat shady with them and not provide the appropriate information to them--- it makes you stick out as being of questionable character and business practices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment