Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 06:39 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,668 times

Advertisements

There are a few people in my office who have been abusing a sort of honor system in regard to work schedules. The company has a flextime policy, however, I think it would be more accurately called Flexible Start Time Policy. One person has even been leaving early and not putting in a full 8 hr day and I cannot see that the time is being made up. We don't punch a clock, and I hope it stays that way.

I have heard low rumblings about mgt being concerned about people not adhering to schedules and I think we are going to be confronted about it soon.

Problem is, everyone knows who the offenders are but despite that, I think we are probably going to be rounded up and given a soft reprimand or some global email is going to be sent out. I feel it coming and I'm dreading it.

Some people are saying that one manager in particular is afraid to confront the known offender. I don't think that's it at all - the @#$ that he is. The problem is that the ones taking liberties are the political beneficiaries (who's performance is inversely related to their rewards and status) and they cannot be written up. I think that mgt. just can't have these people making their politics look bad (or worse than it already is, rather).

Has anyone else had the experience of being admonished as a group when everyone, including mgt., knows who the specific offender is? I have, that's how I feel it coming soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 06:56 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,408,574 times
Default constantly...

When these emails or mgts occur I speak up and suggest that the culprits be spoken to in private and to please not waste my time. My attendance is impeccable as are my work ethics, it's nonsense for management to play the PC game.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:07 PM

225 posts, read 1,114,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
There are a few people in my office who have been abusing a sort of honor system in regard to work schedules. The company has a flextime policy, however, I think it would be more accurately called Flexible Start Time Policy. One person has even been leaving early and not putting in a full 8 hr day and I cannot see that the time is being made up. We don't punch a clock, and I hope it stays that way.

I have heard low rumblings about mgt being concerned about people not adhering to schedules and I think we are going to be confronted about it soon.

Problem is, everyone knows who the offenders are but despite that, I think we are probably going to be rounded up and given a soft reprimand or some global email is going to be sent out. I feel it coming and I'm dreading it.

Some people are saying that one manager in particular is afraid to confront the known offender. I don't think that's it at all - the @#$ that he is. The problem is that the ones taking liberties are the political beneficiaries (who's performance is inversely related to their rewards and status) and they cannot be written up. I think that mgt. just can't have these people making their politics look bad (or worse than it already is, rather).

Has anyone else had the experience of being admonished as a group when everyone, including mgt., knows who the specific offender is? I have, that's how I feel it coming soon.
Yup...happens all the time. We all lost the right to take our company vehicle home at night because one of the guys got caught with one of his girlfriends (he was married) at a bar one night at 9pm. We all paid the price for his mistake. I used to be able to report to work at a field office five minutes from home....but, one of my coworkers threatened to kill the other (and he meant it) so we all lost that right too after HR got involved (neither was fired) and now I drive an hour a day commute thanks to that one. The list goes on and on. When one of the screw ups does wrong, we all get called in and screamed at and jobs threatened as a group. I wish I just got an email from someone as a reprimand....it must be nice.

Biggest problem now where I work is the constant gossip, lies and backstabbings propogated against people. The losers I work with thrive on spreading lies about coworkers and even though management threatens us on that, they won't stop. Welcome to corporate america.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:53 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoatpa View Post
Yup...happens all the time. We all lost the right to take our company vehicle home at night because one of the guys got caught with one of his girlfriends (he was married) at a bar one night at 9pm. We all paid the price for his mistake. I used to be able to report to work at a field office five minutes from home....but, one of my coworkers threatened to kill the other (and he meant it) so we all lost that right too after HR got involved (neither was fired) and now I drive an hour a day commute thanks to that one. The list goes on and on. When one of the screw ups does wrong, we all get called in and screamed at and jobs threatened as a group. I wish I just got an email from someone as a reprimand....it must be nice.

Biggest problem now where I work is the constant gossip, lies and backstabbings propogated against people. The losers I work with thrive on spreading lies about coworkers and even though management threatens us on that, they won't stop. Welcome to corporate america.
Man, that is digusting, I would be majorly ticked off if my commute went from 5 to 60 minutes.

Before I properly interpreted, I thought I read that you lost the right to knock off your troublemaking, offending co-workers.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:06 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
There are some people who would do absolutely anything to avoid a one on one confrontation. Unfortunately I have seen too many of these people become managers. And then you get situations like those described above.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:38 PM

207 posts, read 501,113 times
So what's the big deal? If you're putting in your 8 hours and you need to check in, nothing changes. Or even less everyone is rounded up and told you all need to spend the whole 8 hours in, which you already do. So stil nothing changes. Am I missing the point?

Old 02-22-2011, 08:44 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
Group admonishment is a poor management tool. First, it makes the innocent resentful, not because they're being wrongly admonished--if you know you aren't the person the admonishment is for, then no sweat--but because it's a waste of time. Second, the guilty never see themselves as culpable and will just keep doing what they're doing.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:28 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
I see it from a different perspective. A reminder about policies given to the group lets the offenders know that their negligence has been noted, and puts them on notice that they're not getting away with anything. When everyone has been put on notice, the offenders either knuckle down and comply or face the consequence of being written up if they continue to ignore the rules which everyone else adheres to.

I've seen the same thing happen several times and, when I managed a large group, did the same thing myself with productive results. Those who are doing their job shouldn't worry about a general reminder or take offense at it and those who aren't have the opportunity to step up to the plate. I wouldn't jump the gun and assume that management won't follow through. Not all management is bad.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:09 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Someday View Post
So what's the big deal? If you're putting in your 8 hours and you need to check in, nothing changes. Or even less everyone is rounded up and told you all need to spend the whole 8 hours in, which you already do. So stil nothing changes. Am I missing the point?
There is a risk that the flexible schedule could be taken away from everyone.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:23 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I see it from a different perspective. A reminder about policies given to the group lets the offenders know that their negligence has been noted, and puts them on notice that they're not getting away with anything. When everyone has been put on notice, the offenders either knuckle down and comply or face the consequence of being written up if they continue to ignore the rules which everyone else adheres to.

I've seen the same thing happen several times and, when I managed a large group, did the same thing myself with productive results. Those who are doing their job shouldn't worry about a general reminder or take offense at it and those who aren't have the opportunity to step up to the plate. I wouldn't jump the gun and assume that management won't follow through. Not all management is bad.
If there are several people doing something wrong then I would agree with you. If it is just one or two then I don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment