Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 05:46 PM

580 posts, read 2,293,336 times

Advertisements

After reading this forum over the last few months, I've seen many people (myself included) who have gotten jobs and told their story here. Most of the time you will get people who congratulate them and tell them how happy they are that they finally got a job. But, the one thing I've noticed is the people who constantly bash the unemployed never even acknowledge this.

You would think they would be the first to say something. After all, they are the ones who seem so annoyed that you are getting a so-called government handout. You would think they would be happy and say something even if it was sarcastic. But no, there is no acknowledgment what so ever. However, if somebody comes on here and ask for advice after a job loss, they are usually the first to chime in and start insulting them.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think they are more annoyed at the fact that you got a job. Many people love to see other people fail. This is the only way some people can feel superior without having to succeed themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I don't really care if I have their approval or not. That was never my intention of staring this thread. I just wanted to point out my observation to see if anybody else has ever noticed this.

I didn't want to mention names, but I'm sure everybody knows the people I'm talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 05:57 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,621,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
After reading this forum over the last few months, I've seen many people (myself included) who have gotten jobs and told their story here. Most of the time you will get people who congratulate them and tell them how happy they are that they finally got a job. But, the one thing I've noticed is the people who constantly bash the unemployed never even acknowledge this.

You would think they would be the first to say something. After all, they are the ones who seem so annoyed that you are getting a so-called government handout. You would think they would be happy and say something even if it was sarcastic. But no, there is no acknowledgment what so ever. However, if somebody comes on here and ask for advice after a job loss, they are usually the first to chime in and start insulting them.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think they are more annoyed at the fact that you got a job. Many people love to see other people fail. This is the only way some people can feel superior without having to succeed themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I don't really care if I have their approval or not. That was never my intention of staring this thread. I just wanted to point out my observation to see if anybody else has ever noticed this.

I didn't want to mention names, but I'm sure everybody knows the people I'm talking about.

Welcome to the real world-the majority of people want to see others fail

Old 02-25-2011, 06:00 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
I think it's awesome when people get jobs.

On a slightly related note, I was leafing thorugh our local small town paper this afternoon and noticed the Help Wanted section has 60% more ads than it did just a few months ago. Here's to hoping that's a really good sign for a lot of people.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:05 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
It's almost like hunting dogs who are sniffing out the down and out..

To everyone here who has found a job and I missed it....Congrats !! .

Old 02-25-2011, 06:28 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,720 times
I don't respond to all of the "yays, I got a job" because I don't see all of them, I don't know everyone who is stating it, and if there are already a load of congrats-- then I don't see the value of adding mine to the fray.

I think it is fantastic when anyone gets a job especially if they have been looking for awhile. There are some who I have recalled posting in the same threads as me since I have been around who I definitely congratulate whether it is through a PM or on the thread-- I have also responded to some that I am more acquainted with when I see that they didn't get a certain job, etc.

I responded to this because-- I am sure some think I am an unemployed hater-- others probably don't, but I thought I would at least give my perspective as well too.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:38 PM

964 posts, read 2,648,216 times
I like it when people get jobs.
Less burden on me.
More taxes being paid to the system that benefits me.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:44 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post

Maybe they simply have nothing to say. Just because someone converses on a message board with someone else does not make them friends. It's just two people posting their opinions for the eyes of strangers.

I am happy that people get jobs. Very happy. But I don't think I would make the effort to wish them well, or say "congratulations" if I did not know them personally.

So, here. CONGRATULATIONS EVERYBODY WHO GOT A JOB. There.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-25-2011, 09:17 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,762 times
I think some don't see the "I got a job" posts. Others may see them but they are not sure what to say b/c just saying "Congratulations" may sound too empty for them. Then, there are probably a few posters who have the mentality of, "Why are you bragging? You should have had a job the entire time! Now get to work and start making up for all the money you stole from me and my taxes."

Old 02-25-2011, 09:44 PM

550 posts, read 1,356,098 times
I often comment to congratulate because I know how it is like to be unemployed for a long time and question everything in your life. I do it to let the OP know that their hard work paid off and to encourage readers and bring some positivity to this forum.

I admit I've bragged about my job and how I was fortunate to get it but I was something that changed my life forever.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:55 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
I don't read every thread, and don't try to post in every thread. I don't know anyone personally, and of the members that are currently unemployed, I don't follow their stories. And I guess I don't feel the need to congratulate them when they find a job finally. I also don't think that those newly employed people notice me as a poster either.

Otherwise in real life and at work, I'm not that keen on signing those office birthday cards or chipping in for a group birthday present. While some of my co-workers have become good friends of mine, there are many who are just mere passing acquaintances to me. I don't believe in trying to fake caring about someone I don't care about. Maybe it's a New England thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment