Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 12:16 PM

741 posts, read 1,289,004 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,
Have a little question for you all:
I am hourly.
My company is requring that I attend a meeting that will involve a bus and plane trip on Sunday, and a return bus and plane trip on a Wednesday.
My manager is trying to tell me that the company will pay for the bus and plane on Sunday and Wednesday, but will NOT pay for the time it takes for me to get to location (about 8 hours) since it's a weekend day and I'm not "working" just sitting around on various pieces of transit. I can see his side, but then I don't see his side. I feel I should get paid for my travel time, it is part of doing work to me, how else would I get to this required location outside of a teleporter?

On the Wednesday I am traveling back, my manager told me I could use a vacation day or just go unpaid. Really? Burn a vacation day to facilitate required company travel?

There is no way I can refuse to this trip, also they will not "allow" me to take a company laptop and work during travel as I am "only hourly".

Is this unfair, or am I just being whiny?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 12:19 PM

839 posts, read 2,417,309 times
No, you are not being whiney. It is completely unfair.

IMHO, any time spent doing something work related that has been made mandatory by your employer should be paid time for you.

Truthfully, in this economy, I doubt there's much you can do about it though......

Old 03-01-2011, 12:50 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,284,297 times
You are on that bus and that plane because the company requires you to be. They should be paying you for it. And at time-and-a-half if it is over 40 hrs.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:56 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,381,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
On the Wednesday I am traveling back, my manager told me I could use a vacation day or just go unpaid. Really? Burn a vacation day to facilitate required company travel?
You know, I've traveled on weekends before and not been paid. It's not right, but if overall the good outweighs the bad, you can sometimes accept some things that aren't quite right...

But not paying you for Wednesday, a day you usually work, just because you're traveling? That just seems really wrong.

You offered to bring a laptop and work during those travel hours on Wednesday, and since that's a day you would be working otherwise, I can't see why they won't allow that? If I were you I would bring that option up again. You never know, if you frame it that way, your boss may change his mind.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:05 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,693,073 times
There are actually FLSA rulings about travel time. Its been a long time since I checked into them but if I recall, when you travel on the weekends the company has to pay you for any time involved in traveling between the hours of your normal workweek. (Example, if you are normally at work during the week at 2pm and this trip started at 2pm and you are still in transit at 7pm -- say the plane did not land --even tho its Sunday traveling its paid time. But if you begin traveling at 6pm and your normal weekday schedule ends a 5pm, not paid time. Also if you chose to drive but could have taken an airplane, company can make adjustments. Time to and from airport is only covered if you went between airport and work location to actually work (otherwise its commute, commute is not covered). Time waiting for plane to take off....only covered if its a wait during the weekday core time.

I am pulling this from my memory.....go do some research on the regs......

Old 03-01-2011, 03:17 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
Hi Guys,
Have a little question for you all:
I am hourly.
My company is requring that I attend a meeting that will involve a bus and plane trip on Sunday, and a return bus and plane trip on a Wednesday.
My manager is trying to tell me that the company will pay for the bus and plane on Sunday and Wednesday, but will NOT pay for the time it takes for me to get to location (about 8 hours) since it's a weekend day and I'm not "working" just sitting around on various pieces of transit. I can see his side, but then I don't see his side. I feel I should get paid for my travel time, it is part of doing work to me, how else would I get to this required location outside of a teleporter?

There is no way I can refuse to this trip, also they will not "allow" me to take a company laptop and work during travel as I am "only hourly".

Is this unfair, or am I just being whiny?
Tell them they either pay you for the Wednesday or you aren't going. The Sunday thing I could go either way on. I have often traveled on a weekend with no compensation.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:20 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,685,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
There are actually FLSA rulings about travel time. Its been a long time since I checked into them but if I recall, when you travel on the weekends the company has to pay you for any time involved in traveling between the hours of your normal workweek. (Example, if you are normally at work during the week at 2pm and this trip started at 2pm and you are still in transit at 7pm -- say the plane did not land --even tho its Sunday traveling its paid time. But if you begin traveling at 6pm and your normal weekday schedule ends a 5pm, not paid time. Also if you chose to drive but could have taken an airplane, company can make adjustments. Time to and from airport is only covered if you went between airport and work location to actually work (otherwise its commute, commute is not covered). Time waiting for plane to take off....only covered if its a wait during the weekday core time.

I am pulling this from my memory.....go do some research on the regs......
You didnlt do bad at all.. Good memory

Travel Away from Home Community: Travel that keeps an employee away from home overnight is travel away from home. Travel away from home is clearly work time when it cuts across the employee's workday. The time is not only hours worked on regular working days during normal working hours but also during corresponding hours on nonworking days. As an enforcement policy the Division will not consider as work time that time spent in travel away from home outside of regular working hours as a passenger on an airplane, train, boat, bus, or automobile.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:41 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
You need to speak to them about this. Especially the part about taking a vacation day for Wednesday.

I had a salaried position and had to travel one time from CA to OH. My flight was leaving around 3pm from CA, so my boss told me I should just come into work at the usual time and leave early for the airport.

I told him I wasn't coming in at all because the hours I was sitting on a plane going to OH for a training seminar(that I really didn't want to go to) were my work hours for that day.

He agreed.

You have to speak up.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:46 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
You didnlt do bad at all.. Good memory

Travel Away from Home Community: Travel that keeps an employee away from home overnight is travel away from home. Travel away from home is clearly work time when it cuts across the employee's workday. The time is not only hours worked on regular working days during normal working hours but also during corresponding hours on nonworking days. As an enforcement policy the Division will not consider as work time that time spent in travel away from home outside of regular working hours as a passenger on an airplane, train, boat, bus, or automobile.
It might be helpful to the OP if you could provide a link to this excerpt so that he/she can use it to bolster the request/diplomatic demand to be paid for Wednesday.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:25 PM

531 posts, read 1,177,693 times
That's not fair at all.
I have 2 business trips on my previous job (also hourly) and my boss said my hour start when I get into the airport (before departure).
My commute to the airport is my own time (same as commute to work on a daily basis).
Why you have to use your PTO or unpaid when you are on a business trip?
I hope they atleast pay for your meals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment