Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 01:53 PM

859 posts, read 3,322,758 times

Advertisements

I have mine on private. You can only see the user name (a nick name), main pic and quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 02:05 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,939,614 times
Mbuszu thanks a LOT!!!! I already blocked everyone except my friends now.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:13 PM

This is definitely scary but people are saying here....practically ALL of my friends have incriminating pictures, almost always involving alcohol. Half the people I know have "albums" devoted to spring break...well so much for "What happens down in Mexico stays in Mexico" I guess.

And also people can be biased against you because of your political views. If I was a manager I would not personally check out Facebook profiles (cause obviously I would not want that done to myself)...but if I were to somehow discover that someone is sympathetic to illegal immigrants, actively supprots abortion, criticizes Israel (no I'm not Jewish but being anti-Israel is one of the symptoms of a left wing nut) or is a conservative Muslim (and wears it on their sleeve) they are not getting that job or being admitted.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:45 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,987,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
If I was a manager I would not personally check out Facebook profiles (because obviously I would not want that done to myself)...
The reality is that any hiring manager who cares about their job and who also has the time and knowledge would do this.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:02 PM

453 posts, read 2,101,676 times
they can't see your facebook profile unless they are in your network. and if you don't have your name on your myspace page they wouldn't be able to search for you

Old 07-25-2007, 05:57 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,397,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
If I was a manager I would not personally check out Facebook profiles (cause obviously I would not want that done to myself)...but if I were to somehow discover that someone is sympathetic to illegal immigrants, actively supprots abortion, criticizes Israel (no I'm not Jewish but being anti-Israel is one of the symptoms of a left wing nut) or is a conservative Muslim (and wears it on their sleeve) they are not getting that job or being admitted.
Then you have no right to complain when others do the same to you.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:01 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,192,866 times
hmmmm, and you really, really don't think that an outsider can access your account?

I don't think that anyone would go to the trouble, but if someone can access the pentagon, or your local bank or a dozen or so other stores, credit card companies or whatever, what makes you think they can't trace your account back to your own computer regardless of what nickname you use?

Old 07-26-2007, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdude View Post
they can't see your facebook profile unless they are in your network. and if you don't have your name on your myspace page they wouldn't be able to search for you
But they can find people who are in your network....I know this has happened before. Also in Myspace, they can serach you by typing in your first and last name under the advanced search options.

Now I love technology but its gone over in the past few years....it seems like nobody really has any privacy anymore.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:28 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,191,469 times
What you put online is too easily accessible to anyone out there. All they have to do is google your name or user name and way too much will pop up.

Try it for yourself and see what pops up. You just might be surprised what is still floating out there for others to find.

Don't put anything out there that you wouldn't want your mother to see. Liz

Old 07-26-2007, 04:06 PM

Ironicallly enough, this story from today shows the risks of the Internet....

Story - Man Burns Down Trailer in Online Feud - AOL News (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment