Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 03:07 PM

410 posts, read 1,494,754 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a salaried supervisor. (This is a new job for me and my first time being salaried). I should also say I live in Texas (I'm not sure if that matters).

In speaking with someone at my job I was told that as long as I work 4 hrs. per day I will get paid for 8. Not saying I plan on doing that on a regular basis but wondering if it is necessary when I have an appointment for me to submit PTO for that time.

Does this differ state by state or depening on what the company's policy says?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 03:51 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
You employer cannot dock your pay for absences less than a full day but can require that you apply your PTO hours. If you run out of PTO hours, then there's the problem.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:53 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
If you are exempt from being paid overtime, your employer is paying for you to get the job done, not for the hours it takes to complete the job. Of course, if you are always working less than 40 hours, they will find another reason to fire you. A random doctor's appointment here or there is not something you officially report on a time card. However, I highly recommend keeping time records for your own reference at your house. If your employer ever treats you like an hourly worker, you have a right to all of the back overtime you weren't paid.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:14 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,160,676 times
I have always been a salaried employee (until I retired) and it hasn't worked this way for me. If I worked less than an 8 hour day I had to use my accumulated leave, or I'd be docked (considered leave without pay) for the hours. No overtime pay, although I did earn compensatory time (for each half hour worked beyond the normal 8 hours I earned a half hour of leave that I had to use within the next 12 months).

The lower pay grades would get either time and a half overtime pay or time and a half compensatory time if they worked more than a 40 hour week, or had more than 40 hours accounted for by way of a combination of work and paid leave time.

I probably should add that I worked for state government. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
I probably should add that I worked for state government. Don't know if that makes a difference.
It makes a big difference. For example, compensatory time is only legal in government work. Private companies that use conpensatory time are breaking the law.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:38 PM

OP, read this: My Employment Lawyer - Docking a full day's pay from exempt employees

Old 02-26-2011, 05:37 PM

623 posts, read 1,602,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It makes a big difference. For example, compensatory time is only legal in government work. Private companies that use conpensatory time are breaking the law.
Compensatory time can be used as long as it is given at the ot rate. For instance if I work 2hrs overtime I would get 3 hrs comp time.

As long as the company does not force you to take it I believe it's legal if the follow the above guideline.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Our written policy is that management is paid on the "body of work" not on the hours. I may have to stay late or work on a weekend day at times, but then don't use PTO for a day or less off. No one really pays attention to the
numbers, but they are coming out way ahead.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:09 PM

207 posts, read 501,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
Our written policy is that management is paid on the "body of work" not on the hours. I may have to stay late or work on a weekend day at times, but then don't use PTO for a day or less off. No one really pays attention to the
numbers, but they are coming out way ahead.
I think that's how it goes. I can't remember the last time I've actually had a weekend off. I'm really busy, but it's worth it because I'm making some financial goals now that will allow me to retire before 65.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:01 PM

76 posts, read 257,925 times
It depends on the how strict the company is and how much your boss likes you. Mostly the latter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment