Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 11:49 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,203 times

Advertisements

I would think they should be satisfied with it. I just found that that no raises have been given at my current company in over 4 years.

And I was kinda hoping for a measly 3%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 11:54 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
No one in our place has had a raise since 2007. We'd be grateful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
"That pay rate meets or exceeds local pay for those kinds of jobs"

It sounds like they would be stupid to be upset with anything.
Yep.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:55 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's why I recommended finding other ways to improve employee morale.
A good suggestion

Old 03-25-2011, 12:02 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's why I recommended finding other ways to improve employee morale.
That can be a tough one though. In reality how many "other" ways are there to increase morale that don't involve some amount of expense? And then you risk employees saying why is the company wasting money instead of giving me a better raise.

I have heard employees ***** about getting a free turkey at Thanksgiving because they would have rather had $20.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:13 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
That can be a tough one though. In reality how many "other" ways are there to increase morale that don't involve some amount of expense? And then you risk employees saying why is the company wasting money instead of giving me a better raise.

I have heard employees ***** about getting a free turkey at Thanksgiving because they would have rather had $20.
As an employee I think it depends on where you are sitting as far as compensation goes. If you feel you are fairly compensated then a little raise doesn't mean as much as being treated better. If you feel you are underpaid relative to your peers than you'd want a raise. Or at least that is how I feel.

But you are right, if I felt under compensated I'd say screw the perks give me the money, I need to pay my bills.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:19 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
Quote:

This is why we stopped the day care center for this company! Turkeys turned into turkey or ham choices, then to vouchers at the local supermarket .... And then complaints about which supermarket was selected,,,,

Old 03-25-2011, 12:59 PM

863 posts, read 2,993,382 times
Quote:
After taxes you'd get about $12 try buying a turkey with that!

Old 03-25-2011, 02:09 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
I think they figure, if you balk at a 2 % raise and want to leave ...there are many outside waiting to take your job. ( that may be the employers mentality )

Also, as many have stated here ( no raise ) in the last year or two.

Friend of mine did not get a raise either but she said she was VERY happy to have a job

Old 03-25-2011, 02:15 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I think they figure, if you balk at a 2 % raise and want to leave ...there are many outside waiting to take your job. ( that may be the employers mentality )

Also, as many have stated here ( no raise ) in the last year or two.

Friend of mine did not get a raise either but she said she was VERY happy to have a job
I'll agree and take it a step further. There are people who would kill for any job right now. I would not balk at no raise.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
This is why we stopped the day care center for this company! Turkeys turned into turkey or ham choices, then to vouchers at the local supermarket .... And then complaints about which supermarket was selected,,,,
You've got some strange workers there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment