Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 03:16 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Why don't you wait until you receive a job offer before you start discussing the fact that you don't drive. You could reassure them that you can navigate public transit, taxis and other means of transportation without any difficulties. As my job does not require traveling, I usually don't even mention the fact that I don't drive and, despite the fact that my present job is 40+ each way from my home, I have never had any issues with tardiness or failures to show.
I got to be frank, but if I had a candidate who said during the interview-- yeah air travel and such no problem.

And then if I made the offer and they were then saying-- oh yeah I can't drive because I never learned and now I don't have or something precludes me from learning-- I would be rather annoyed and possibly even say-- (if they were trying to get me to help them figure it out) that this would not be the best match after all. It is almost a little deceitful that the candidate did not probe for more information especially to find out the locations of the travel.

Taxis are extremely expensive-- driving services (kind of like those people you see at the airport with the names of the people waiting) are even more expensive. In fact, those types of executive driving services at my company can only be used by executives (and most do not use them unless they have significant time restraints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 03:19 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Of course. Most people get rentals. What are you going to do if your destination isn't convenient for a cab and other public transportation isn't available? Driving ability is generally assumed.

Exactly. I went to Endicott, NY on business once. I didn't get a rental (It didnt bode well that they had run out of rentals). I had to use a taxi and so I went to the little taxi stand-- no taxis. You had to call a taxi and it took around 20 minutes for one to show up.

It ended up being a pretty expensive week.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:52 AM

7 posts, read 14,344 times
Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm thinking this job is probably not for me, and that's ok.

I don't work in a field that typically requires traveling and the job description just said at the very end that the job "may involve air travel." It was only during the interview that they mentioned there could be a lot of it, so it caught me off guard.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:54 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Of course. Most people get rentals. What are you going to do if your destination isn't convenient for a cab and other public transportation isn't available? Driving ability is generally assumed.
I would have to agree as a former "road warrior". Flying into NYC or LA or another major metro area, I would take cabs between the airport, hotel and sites where I worked as it made more sense and was just easier. And I take cabs in the UK because I would be on the wrong side of the road in about 30 seconds

I also took trips where the place that I had to work at was anywhere from 30-60 miles away from the nearest airport so driving a rental car was the only option. And there were rare occasions where flights were cancelled and I wound up getting a rental car to get myself to my destination.

All told, in my time on the road, I would say that I rented cars about 75% - 80% of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Why don't you wait until you receive a job offer before you start discussing the fact that you don't drive. You could reassure them that you can navigate public transit, taxis and other means of transportation without any difficulties. As my job does not require traveling, I usually don't even mention the fact that I don't drive and, despite the fact that my present job is 40+ each way from my home, I have never had any issues with tardiness or failures to show.
As someone whose job did require extensive travel for several years, I would respectfully disagree. Your situation of just getting to and from your office every day is a completely different situation. As to telling the OP not to mention it well....if they do get a job offer and / or take the position and then this issue is brought up, and it turns out it will hinder their ability to properly be able to handle their responsibilities, they will have wasted both their own time and that of the employer as it could wind up that the OP will have to be let go and both parties will need to start over in terms of looking for a job / employee.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:38 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350125 View Post
Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm thinking this job is probably not for me, and that's ok.

I don't work in a field that typically requires traveling and the job description just said at the very end that the job "may involve air travel." It was only during the interview that they mentioned there could be a lot of it, so it caught me off guard.
Since you're willing to accept that this job might not be a good match, I'd handle it this way.

I'd wait for the offer. Then I would turn it down by saying how much you'd love the job but it just occurred to you that driving might be required for air travel and that you've never had a license in your life.

If you spin giving the information in the form of the only reason you're turning down the job, they might say, "driving isn't required because travel is to major cities." Then you could accept the job.

Ignore the people who say they would be annoyed if they learned about this after the job offer. Yeah, that would be annoying if you ACCEPTED the job and then said "Oh, by the way." But it's diffeent if you're informing them of your inability to drive when turning down the job offer because you're not appearing to be someone who assumes that it's not a problem. You might still want you.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:46 AM

589 posts, read 1,221,024 times
Are you willing to learn how to drive? Maybe you can say I am also currently in the process of obtaining (renewing, whatever works for you) my license if personal driving is necessary.

Driving is not that difficult, not everyone has to be a speed demon like me

Last edited by cee4; 03-26-2011 at 11:30 AM..

Old 03-26-2011, 10:55 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,163,599 times
I would have thought that if the job required that you have access to a car or that you needed a driver's license then they would have mentioned that. I always did when I was interviewing prospective employees. In fact, the job notice would actually include that for certain positions - auditor, for example. And even for positions that didn't usually involve a lot of travel, I would still ask because there would be times where the employee would have to go to other locations for training or presentations. I live in an area where public transportation is far from efficient and most people drive, yet I never just assumed that prospective applicants could drive and/or had access to a car.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:56 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
Are you willing to learn how to drive? Maybe you can say I am also currently in the process if obtaining (renewing, whatever works for you) my license if personal driving is necessary.

When people don't learn how to drive at a younger age, it becomes more difficult to find people who can teach them to drive if they don't have a spouse who drives.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:22 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,163,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
Are you willing to learn how to drive? Maybe you can say I am also currently in the process if obtaining (renewing, whatever works for you) my license if personal driving is necessary.

Keep in mind that some people have medical conditions that may prevent them from being able to have a driver's license, yet not interfere with their ability to do the job. One of my coworkers is an attorney, and is outstanding at her job. However, she has a seizure disorder that is normally well controlled with medication, but still prevents her from being able to have a driver's license. Her job does not require much in the way of travel, but on the rare occasion that she does need to get somewhere outside of the downtown area she is usually able to work something out.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:50 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
When people don't learn how to drive at a younger age, it becomes more difficult to find people who can teach them to drive if they don't have a spouse who drives.
Exactly ... I spent over 1K trying to do it through driving schools and just gave up after failing the test twice! Unless I get constant practice, it seems like I was just relearning how to drive each time I was with the school and half of the lesson was wasted! I just don't feel that I can handle driving and I'm wise enough to keep myself off the roads. It gets really hurtful when folks talk smack about public transit and the public that uses that mode of transit. Thank God I've always had understanding bosses and employers and have developed a reputation for never being late or missing work due to mass transit issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment