Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 04:46 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,851,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesatrip View Post
Whatever happened to the benifits with jobs?
Makes you think how far companies are going to need to go just to survive. People are working more, things are getting way more expensive, and wages are going nowhere fast. I wonder if benefits, regular work hours, and higher compensation is going to come back if the economy bounces back. Maybe these things are gone for good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 04:47 PM

17 posts, read 44,028 times
Charles, I can tell you when I was younger I very seldom had to go to doctor. Heck, some years I would just opt out that year for benefits. But now as I get older, and never thought I would say this, but benefits are important to me. Almost more than the job. Because if I can't go to the doctor when I need to no sense in going to work because I won't be able to keep up with the work. I tell ya just being young pays off

Old 04-07-2011, 04:50 PM

You know what Garfunkle, I recently applied for a job and it was at a doctors office and it was part time. Would you believe that the job did not have benefits. I mean a doctor office of all people I really thought that was rediculous.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:53 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,012,739 times
Yes I love how we have been suckered into working harder and longer for less..

Here are the reasons we are working harder and more for less:

1. Jobs are going overseas.. If the higherups can pay an IT person 3% of what they pay you.. I dont care how good you are.. They are putting your job in China..

2. Most products are made and assembled overseas.. See #1 above for reasons..

3. People are generally seen as sheep by the top 5% who run this country and will do whatever. People now get happy as long as they get fed donuts once a week at their job.. Who cares if they are spending 15-25 more hours a week at the job on average with worse insurance, benefits?? Can you blame companies for seeing people as sheep too when we have as many television shows about celebrity gossip and the #1 rated tv show for 9 years now has been American Idol and Dancing with the Stars?

4. Healthcare is expensive.. This is too complicated to go over.. I cant even fault the companies here.. Its a complicated mess, but simply put.. It hurts the worker more than the owner.

5. As technology improves, the need for people being paid gets to be less and less.. I really wonder how this plays out in the long run..

Old 04-07-2011, 05:03 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,706,289 times
In my area it is rare to get more than a six hour work day. Most places will only hire people 20 hours a week so they don't have to pay benefits.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:09 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,822,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesatrip View Post
Charles, I can tell you when I was younger I very seldom had to go to doctor. Heck, some years I would just opt out that year for benefits. But now as I get older, and never thought I would say this, but benefits are important to me. Almost more than the job. Because if I can't go to the doctor when I need to no sense in going to work because I won't be able to keep up with the work. I tell ya just being young pays off
You're telling me. The older I get the better I was. I play full court basketball at lunchtime then go back to my desk. I sit there for a half hour or so and try to get up. I almost can't walk - totally stiffen up.

Getting old sucks.

Oh, and I just had to put my 89 year old dad in a board and care this past Sunday.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:09 PM

860 posts, read 2,207,151 times
A coworker of mine is on a weekly alternating schedule of M-Th 10 hr/day and then M-F 8 hr/day the next week. Also it seems government office jobs are the best bet for those who want a routine schedule such as 8-5 M-F no matter what with all the normal holidays off.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:27 PM

Charles,
Oh I am sorry to hear about your dad. I haven't been working now for about 6months and I can tell a difference in my body. If I sit to long I can't get up. I try to walk as much as I can.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:28 PM

Charles,
I'm sorry to hear about your dad. I haven't been working now for about 6months and I can tell a difference in my body. If I sit to long I can't get up. I try to walk as much as I can.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:31 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,919,881 times
Quote:
Whatever happened to the 8 hour work day?
Same thing that happened to the beta max and the yugo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment