Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 02:05 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I was just looking at the job listing and I don't know if I qualify. You need to lift a minimum of 35 pounds. The first time I saw the job listing, I misread it and thought it said maximum of 35 pounds. I should be able to lift 35 pounds. But I'm not very strong, and they don't say what the maximum is. And whether you need to walk while carrying the stuff makes a big difference. It's a lot harder to lift something and walk at the same time.

The last thing I want to do is injure myself doing heavy lifting at a job I was undecided on in the first place.
Okay, here we go with the exhausting excuses again. Apply for the job and get the interview experience and see then exactly what the position entails. You're already looking at all the reasons to get out of working.

I'm a 100 lb. woman and can lift 35 plus pounds and whether you realize it or not so can most grade schoolers. Don't believe me? Find a bathroom scale and start putting your text books you carry around everyday on top of each other and see where the weight takes you. Bets are on they are more than 35 lbs.

I used to give speaking engagements to schools and organizations and in the school program I would ask for a volunteer (grade school and junior high) and it was a weight experiement and I had him hold his arms out and put one book after another on them to prove a point and it exceeded 35 lbs.

Just because it says a MINIMUM of 35lbs, does not mean there is a maximum requirement. No job is going to put you in a OSHA regulation violation position or want pay you workman's comp.

Apply for it. But unless you change your attitude you probably won't get it.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:06 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
As far as this job goes, it will be "worth it" to someone else. You obviously see no value in the job and the library deserves someone who does see value in it.

Would I hire you? Based on this attitude...not a chance.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:06 PM

242 posts, read 534,162 times
is there someone that you can contact with a phone number or email that is listed on the job posting? if you want to know the maximum amount of weight, just ask! simple as that.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:07 PM

Now why in the hell would they say that you would have to lift a minimum of 35 pounds? Makes no sense.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:13 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,473,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Okay, here we go with the exhausting excuses again. Apply for the job and get the interview experience and see then exactly what the position entails. You're already looking at all the reasons to get out of working.

I'm a 100 lb. woman and can lift 35 plus pounds and whether you realize it or not so can most grade schoolers. Don't believe me? Find a bathroom scale and start putting your text books you carry around everyday on top of each other and see where the weight takes you. Bets are on they are more than 35 lbs.

I used to give speaking engagements to schools and organizations and in the school program I would ask for a volunteer (grade school and junior high) and it was a weight experiement and I had him hold his arms out and put one book after another on them to prove a point and it exceeded 35 lbs.

Just because it says a MINIMUM of 35lbs, does not mean there is a maximum requirement. No job is going to put you in a OSHA regulation violation position or want pay you workman's comp.

Apply for it. But unless you change your attitude you probably won't get it.
On Christmas, I hurt my back lifting my 100 pound cousin.

But I can lift my 40 pound cousin.

I never said I'm unable to lift 35 pounds. I said I can lift 35 pounds. But that's just the minimum you need to lift. Depending on how much they want me to lift and/or if I need to walk while carrying it, I might be unable to.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Now why in the hell would they say that you would have to lift a minimum of 35 pounds? Makes no sense.
Library - carrying stacks of books around and reshelving them, moving boxes of books - things like that and if it exceedes that then you use a cart or dolly to do it.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
On Christmas, I hurt my back lifting my 100 pound cousin.

But I can lift my 40 pound cousin.

I never said I'm unable to lift 35 pounds. I said I can lift 35 pounds. But that's just the minimum you need to lift. Depending on how much they want me to lift and/or if I need to walk while carrying it, I might be unable to.
But you're already looking at all the negatives to justify whining about - 'I can't find work or get a job' when your attitude is already defeating you before you even ask or apply. I'll wait for the next thread.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:16 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,473,258 times
Quote:
As far as this job goes, it will be "worth it" to someone else. You obviously see no value in the job and the library deserves someone who does see value in it.

Would I hire you? Based on this attitude...not a chance.
I'm not asking if you would hire me based on my attitude. Me, along with a lot of other people, do a good job hiding their attitude at job interviews.

If everyone showed their true attitude at job interviews, the unemployment rate would be much higher.

Quote:
I don't know but that's what the job listing says.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:

I don't know but that's what the job listing says.
See Above.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Library - carrying stacks of books around and reshelving them, moving boxes of books - things like that and if it exceedes that then you use a cart or dolly to do it.
Oh, I know that...it just seems a weird way to phrase it. I think you're right...they want someone who can lift at least that much but there's no maximum requirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment