Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 07:00 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times

Advertisements

Technology is constantly changing. Did you know we once had
Pinsetters in bowling
Elevator operators
Film processing technicians
Railroad crossing attendants
Toll takers
Seamstresses
TV repairmen

How did we survive when all those were eliminated? Economic growth and new industries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 09:00 AM

93 posts, read 269,833 times
FYI, here is the finished article:

Computer says, you're fired: how technology dictates the way we work | Money | The Guardian (http://tinyurl.com/63rehs7 - broken link)

Old 05-16-2011, 07:49 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,776 times
No, but I'm afraid my job will be taken by low-balling pinheads who are now calling themselves "graphic designers" or "web designers" because they have access to a pirated copy of Photoshop and some 15-minute tutorials.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:28 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Heck, no. At least until the day comes when a computer can serve the kids with a smile, give them the center slice of pizza or meat loaf if they ask for it, make sure there are enough chicken sandwiches and french fries made on a day they don't like the regular lunch, and see that no retainers go down the garbage disposal when the trays are rinsed off. It may happen eventually, but by then I'll probably be too old to work anymore anyway.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:36 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Heck, no. At least until the day comes when a computer can serve the kids with a smile, give them the center slice of pizza or meat loaf if they ask for it, make sure there are enough chicken sandwiches and french fries made on a day they don't like the regular lunch, and see that no retainers go down the garbage disposal when the trays are rinsed off. It may happen eventually, but by then I'll probably be too old to work anymore anyway.
you better watch out...it is coming.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:11 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
you better watch out...it is coming.
I jokingly brought that subject up to the district cafeteria supervisor and two of the school board members when I worked a school function last night. They dispelled any concerns I might of had (which I didn't). Actually, the board members laughed. The cafeteria supervisor seemed scandalized at the thought.

With all the carrying on about obese kids, etc., vending machines such as that seem completely counter to what the "food police" wants, doesn't it? Where's the portion control? A kid could buy five sandwiches out of one of those things if they wanted to. Granted, you'll likely see automated lunches served from this kind of vending machine in suburban/city schools with a high enrollment eventually, but the school board/supervisors here in this small rural school district take months to approve buying more paperclips, yet alone anything new fangled for the cafeteria. We still prepare a lot of our food, including whole wheat sandwich rolls from scratch, which the board and supervisors take pride in. Their motto is, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Either way, this is my "semi-retirement" job - I'm not worried about it.

Nice try, "Sport". You can put your nose back to that grindstone now.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 05-18-2011 at 01:43 AM..

Old 05-18-2011, 05:14 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I jokingly brought that subject up to the district cafeteria supervisor and two of the school board members when I worked a school function last night. They dispelled any concerns I might of had (which I didn't). Actually, the board members laughed. The cafeteria supervisor seemed scandalized at the thought.

With all the carrying on about obese kids, etc., vending machines such as that seem completely counter to what the "food police" wants, doesn't it? Where's the portion control? A kid could buy five sandwiches out of one of those things if they wanted to. Granted, you'll likely see automated lunches served from this kind of vending machine in suburban/city schools with a high enrollment eventually, but the school board/supervisors here in this small rural school district take months to approve buying more paperclips, yet alone anything new fangled for the cafeteria. We still prepare a lot of our food, including whole wheat sandwich rolls from scratch, which the board and supervisors take pride in. Their motto is, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Either way, this is my "semi-retirement" job - I'm not worried about it.

Nice try, "Sport". You can put your nose back to that grindstone now.
Take it easy killer. It was a joke. I don't actually think kosher paninis are going to take over school cafeterias.

Not every thread on this forum is attacking you. Lighten up!

Last edited by hnsq; 05-18-2011 at 05:26 AM..

Old 05-18-2011, 07:31 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
No, but I'm afraid my job will be taken by low-balling pinheads who are now calling themselves "graphic designers" or "web designers" because they have access to a pirated copy of Photoshop and some 15-minute tutorials.
LOL, I took a web design program from a well known university long before web editing software so it was all done in code...within 4 years web editing software made me obsolete, now everyone "thinks" they can design a web page...I've seen so many crap web sites, no understanding of information mapping etc. And I agree with you there is more to "Graphic design" or "Web design" than having the software, but the thinking and creative end of it seems to have fallen by the wayside, and as you said any pinhead with the software can get away with doing it now.

I took a phlebotomy course for just that reason, I figured it'd be a long time before a computer could actually locate the vein and draw the blood...still no job, proly age discrimination but that's another thread.

There are many jobs/professions that are in danger of becoming obsolete as computers become more advanced in just about every field. My question is how do you stay ahead of the game? What jobs/professions will never be turned over to a computer?

Old 05-19-2011, 08:15 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
LOL, I took a web design program from a well known university long before web editing software so it was all done in code...within 4 years web editing software made me obsolete, now everyone "thinks" they can design a web page...I've seen so many crap web sites, no understanding of information mapping etc. And I agree with you there is more to "Graphic design" or "Web design" than having the software, but the thinking and creative end of it seems to have fallen by the wayside, and as you said any pinhead with the software can get away with doing it now.

I took a phlebotomy course for just that reason, I figured it'd be a long time before a computer could actually locate the vein and draw the blood...still no job, proly age discrimination but that's another thread.

There are many jobs/professions that are in danger of becoming obsolete as computers become more advanced in just about every field. My question is how do you stay ahead of the game? What jobs/professions will never be turned over to a computer?
I just keep up with the technology, especially code (a lot of knuckleheads want designers to be programmers too, it seems). I was lucky and graduated from a university that employed a lot of older designers who built their careers way before the computer. They didn't know and didn't care about software and taught us how to do things by hand. And this was recent—I graduated in 2009. So I ended up with both the computer skills and knowledge of design fundamentals. I've always told them that I wish I lived back then. (But I guess it'd still be hard for me to get a job, as racism was open and much more acceptable than it is now.) Now it's the "oh I'm a designer too, I do logos for $50" hobbyists who make it hard for real artists to get any work.
I'm not as good as I want to be, but I'm just going to keep designing and getting better!

Old 05-19-2011, 09:16 PM

386 posts, read 1,052,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
No. I'm worried that my job will be taken by an Indian, and not the kind that wears feathers and rides horses. That's what people really should be concerned with.
Agree 100%, although my fluency of English has helped me get customers who would normally have called Dell or HP for assistance, so maybe its not all bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment