Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 07:40 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Ha ha, my foot! My daughter at 15 started bookkeeping for my husband. My son, who is now 15 is thinking of making money from playing online games and soliciting advertising, from which he gets paid. Time to start thinking about a job, kid.
Maybe he should try mturk. You do make money, but it sure is low paying. I think I made like $8.00 this month. It will help buy bread though.

There is also clickworker.com, microworker.com, minuteworkers.com. I haven't tried those yet.

I picked veggies when I was 15. Most Indiana kids do that. A lot of 14 year old kids detassel corn here in Indiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 12:35 AM

134 posts, read 367,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
Maybe he should try mturk. You do make money, but it sure is low paying. I think I made like $8.00 this month. It will help buy bread though.

There is also clickworker.com, microworker.com, minuteworkers.com. I haven't tried those yet.

I picked veggies when I was 15. Most Indiana kids do that. A lot of 14 year old kids detassel corn here in Indiana.
You could probably solicit and offer to mow peoples' lawns with a pair of scissors and you'd make money faster than mechanical turk.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
[FONT=Arial Black]I'm not one of them, but what the hell are people supposed to do here if they've been unemployed for a VERY long time, yet they're trying like crazy, but still nothing?[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black]Have you been unemployed now for just about 2 yrs or longer? I just want to know how many people are in this same boat. Thanks! [/FONT]
I've been unemployed for over 2 years. I don't have a degree. I had just returned back to school and had a 1 year contracting job. I have three boy teens mouths to feed. What am I going to do? I am looking for job in COBOL programming in GA. I had to move to GA because I couldn't afford cost of living in MD. I guess I'm not the only one in this boat...if you know someone hiring in COBOL not Microfocus let me know please someone.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:58 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
I'm curious what "to know" the manager means. Now if a girl "isn't smart" but is "in" with the manager, then people could wonder. Um...is someone tapping someone else? Some people still sleep their way to the top, even today.

But, no, I would rather continue being unemployed than have to sleep my way to the top or to get a job.
oh her sister slept with the manager for a long time..so thats that

Old 03-13-2012, 12:13 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BF4YAB9 View Post
I've been unemployed for over 2 years. I don't have a degree. I had just returned back to school and had a 1 year contracting job. I have three boy teens mouths to feed. What am I going to do? I am looking for job in COBOL programming in GA. I had to move to GA because I couldn't afford cost of living in MD. I guess I'm not the only one in this boat...if you know someone hiring in COBOL not Microfocus let me know please someone.
I feel that you scope may be too narrow if you're only looking for a COBOL job. There's a demand in objective C mobile application development and web CMS systems. You may want to consider broadening your scope. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by NJBest; 03-13-2012 at 12:40 AM..

Old 04-01-2012, 06:56 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,314,195 times
i don't get why is a long unemployment gap, drougt, a big red-flag to employers, there is a difference between being lazy to work at a job, and being lazy to find a job, to take initiative to get a job

Old 04-01-2012, 09:27 PM

878 posts, read 1,653,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
i don't get why is a long unemployment gap, drougt, a big red-flag to employers, there is a difference between being lazy to work at a job, and being lazy to find a job, to take initiative to get a job
Good question... Is the person too lazy to work a job? Too lazy to even find a job? Milking their unemployment ride as long as they can? Or do they have some other reason as to why they have been out of work for so long? I mean, if nobody else would hire you, why should I? That's probably what a lot of employers say when they see people with big unemployment gaps although I can't confirm because I'm not an employer.

When I got my job in May 2011 I had layoff 2 gaps in my resume... from November 2009 thru September 2010 and from January 2011 thru May 2011. My job is a skilled trade and my employer told me "We've been looking for someone for a few months." That might also explain why they hired me over the phone from 3000 miles away. I was living in Georgia at the time and couldn't find any work there but found this one on the other side of the country.

When you can't find work where you live, you need to consider other areas of the country. It worked for me. Unemployment doesn't last forever.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:35 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,314,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
Good question... Is the person too lazy to work a job? Too lazy to even find a job? Milking their unemployment ride as long as they can? Or do they have some other reason as to why they have been out of work for so long? I mean, if nobody else would hire you, why should I? That's probably what a lot of employers say when they see people with big unemployment gaps although I can't confirm because I'm not an employer.

When I got my job in May 2011 I had layoff 2 gaps in my resume... from November 2009 thru September 2010 and from January 2011 thru May 2011. My job is a skilled trade and my employer told me "We've been looking for someone for a few months." That might also explain why they hired me over the phone from 3000 miles away. I was living in Georgia at the time and couldn't find any work there but found this one on the other side of the country.

When you can't find work where you live, you need to consider other areas of the country. It worked for me. Unemployment doesn't last forever.
for me, i was lazy to find a job, not to work at a job, i just got sick, tired and frustrated of applying at so many places and not getting any response back, not getting hired

Old 04-02-2012, 07:19 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,466 times
i am on the 2 year mark though technically I am in school again and volunteering 2x a week, I have been unemployed for 2+years.

And yes gaps in employment, the dreaded "white space" is death, utter death on a resume. And ya you can say "Well yes I have been looking for work the past 6 months" and that may all be true, but you will get little sympathy from employers

Old 04-02-2012, 08:21 AM

Location: Olde English District, SC (look it up on Wikipedia)
243 posts, read 366,918 times
Other things that seem to be death on a resume, at least in my experience, is having a graduate degree. Oh, and the applications that make me put the year I graduated from high school, revealing the fact that I am several years past 40 don't seem to help either. I found out that the person who got a customer service job I applied for has a criminal record (for assault), but is under 30 and doesn't have a degree. It hasn't quite been two years, but I've had to settle for freelance online work of a nature that I can't tell a lot of people what I'm really doing. It's legal, but has an "ick" factor. Can't move because of my spouse's job (has insurance that we need and pays bills, but we need my income, too).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment