Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 07:54 PM

27 posts, read 168,389 times

Advertisements

So I am considering leaving NYC and looking for a cheaper city....I was just reading about a job at KPMG in Cleveland and was thinking that maybe their office isn't pulling the best of the best....so does that make the job "easier" to get?

I think in this market the unemployed need to make personal sacrifices and it just mean moving to a new place....And in a way I find it exciting....I mean obviously Cleveland is not NYC...but I am sick of living here anyway as its lost its zeal.

Has anyone had experience with well recognized firms in less desireable cities....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 07:58 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Hm. Well I am from Cleveland and I live in NYC now.

I went to college in Ohio. I think if you have NYC experience in Ohio you shouldn't have too hard of a time getting a job. Many people from my college are working for banks in Cleveland now however they all had hard times finding jobs.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:22 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
I live in Pittsburgh. I was in banking prior to becoming a SAHM. My sister returned to the workforce after being a SAHM and now has a high profile career in banking.

You're not going to have an easier or harder time finding a job in Pittsburgh.

Seriously. New Yorkers are "the best of the best?" If you're a programmer analyst, my sister would hire you if you were from Iowa.

Pittsburghers are very down to earth people. Don't come here with an elitist attitude. It could hurt your career because most employees, even many of the top executives, are Pittsburghers.

Pittsburghers are extremely friendly. If you can embrace a slower paced way of life, you'll have no problem feeling welcome and making a life for yourself here.

Our economy is strong. Our cost of living is very low. Expect your salary to be adjusted accordingly. Don't compare Pittsburgh to NYC and you'll be fine.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I live in Pittsburgh. I was in banking prior to becoming a SAHM. My sister returned to the workforce after being a SAHM and now has a high profile career in banking.

You're not going to have an easier or harder time finding a job in Pittsburgh.

Seriously. New Yorkers are "the best of the best?" If you're a programmer analyst, my sister would hire you if you were from Iowa.

Pittsburghers are very down to earth people. Don't come here with an elitist attitude. It could hurt your career because most employees, even many of the top executives, are Pittsburghers.

Pittsburghers are extremely friendly. If you can embrace a slower paced way of life, you'll have no problem feeling welcome and making a life for yourself here.

Our economy is strong. Our cost of living is very low. Expect your salary to be adjusted accordingly. Don't compare Pittsburgh to NYC and you'll be fine.
Jesus these forums can be tedious...

Relax dude I wasnt taking a shot at Pittsburghs residents....The fact of the matter is New York is the headquarters for many of the worlds most elite companies, from banking to fashion to advertising to consulting etc....Its without any doubt that a large percentage of prestigous grads move to NYC to pursue career tracks in a particular companies head office which is often in NYC

Old 04-25-2011, 09:32 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettleblack View Post
Jesus these forums can be tedious...
Totally agree.

Quote:
Relax dude I wasnt taking a shot at Pittsburghs residents....
I'm not stressed. Your post didn't offend me.

I gave you solid advice. I know the culture here. It important to understand what can make you or break you if you relocate.

Quote:
The fact of the matter is New York is the headquarters for many of the worlds most elite companies, from banking to fashion to advertising to consulting etc....Its without any doubt that a large percentage of prestigous grads move to NYC to pursue career tracks in a particular companies head office which is often in NYC
For banking, it would be wise to start a career with the fed, as my friend did and he's a CFO now. (That's the other advantage of living in Pittsburgh. Connections. Connections. Connections. It's much easier to make important connections. People are more accessible here.)

My father was an executive officer for a fortune 500 headquartered in Pittsburgh. He started his career in a small town in West Virginia, transfered to small towns in Indiana and North Carolina and overseas too. As a result, I don't believe you need to start out in corporate headquarters to climb the ladder to the top. You can draw more attention to yourself by being a big fish in a small pond. Think about it. If you move up to the top of the small pond, your opportunities for high profile contacts in headquarters increase dramatically compared to being just another face in the crowd.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:38 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
The attitude that simply being from NYC makes you more qualified or a better worker is an attitude that is really only welcomed in....NYC. Everywhere else, it's meaningless at best and a turnoff at worst.

Whether or not you will have an easier time than others in finding a job in Cleveland really depends on your work skills and whether or not the marketplace is looking for those skills. Your zip code is not a skill.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:43 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
The normalizing metric to determine if it is easier (whatever "easier" means) is the rate of unemployment, preferably within that sector. If that sector's unemployment rate is higher in Pitt, then most likely it is not "easier" to get a job there in that sector.

I would look at data such as unemployment and also industry/university/government reports before I read too much into highly subjective advice ("My Aunt Edna got a job.....so it must be easier") from an anonymous internet forum.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:31 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,829 times
It's usually easier to get a Big 4 job in a major city than a smaller regional office. The reason is turnover and a much more competitive market for talent.

Also, it is kind of well known that accounting isn't considered the most prestigious profession in NYC, so it doesn't attract the best students. Most of the very best schools in the NE don't even have accounting programs.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:29 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,490,405 times
New York is full of rats and lowlifes. You are no better than anyone else!

Old 04-26-2011, 05:44 PM

Slim04 - I buy that....I didn't think about accounting firms in that way.....I guess my question would better pertain to investment banks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment