Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
I try to avoid working outside of my regular hours if at all possible. 16 39.02%
I'm willing to work outside of my regular hours w/o pay to complete essential work. 13 31.71%
I'm willing to work outside of regular hours if appropriately compensated. 14 34.15%
I'm just willing to learn new skills (related to my job) outside of my regular hours. 4 9.76%
I'm more than willing to work outside regular hours for no pay and I'm not my own boss. 8 19.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 07:55 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Yeah, I'm considering moving into a cheap studio apartment and part-timing (maybe 20-25 hours a week). Time to enjoy your life > extra $$$ IMO.
If that works for you, go for it. Some people, on the other hand, don't mind the longer work-weeks as they see other benefits. There is no one-size fits all perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I can't imagine how someone could tolerate 50-60 hours a week. What's the point of that? So you can buy more material garbage that you don't need or really even want, but must do so in order to keep up with the Joneses?
I put in close to 45-50 hours a week on average...used to be a bit more (alot more if you counted travel), but long term (for me) I'm in a position where I have a nice house, can take care of my family without pinching pennies.

But the most important benefit is that the trade off for those extra hours I put in earlier in life will put me in a good position to retire early and live the rest of my life comfortably. So I worked a lot of hours in my 30's...sounds fair if I can do whatever I want 24/7 before I'm out of my 50's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 08:15 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,533 times
I will work outside my regular hours when I start working for an employer that has an interest in the progress of its employees. I will work outside my regular hours when the job I'm in offers challenges and opportunities to continually build new skills. I will work outside my regular hours when my manager starts taking an active interest in my success. Until that time comes in my life, I will put in my 40 and leave. I will not stick around for extra hours when it will have absolutely no impact on my career. Most of my work gets done in 35 hours or less anyway. Staying beyond 40, in most cases, is frivolous.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:19 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
My boss travels almost constantly around the world, 7 days a week, and for me to do my job in supporting him, I work whenever I am needed. Everyone who works with him is the same. It is just the nature of what we do and where we work.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:11 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
While it's nice to see that it appears you no longer view time with family as selfish lets not go back to you trying to act like you are a doctor saving lives here again with your work over 40 hours being a great benefit to society.

1. Spending time with family IS selfish, there simply is nothing wrong with being selfish. Selfish is anything you do for your own good, and people spend time with family because they like the emotional high it gives them. Again - selfish is not always a bad thing.
2. If you hate your boss and do something that doesn't matter, then fine. Don't push that attitude onto the rest of us.

I don't go out of my way to work over 40 hours. I do what needs to be done, and am completely fine with that taking 30 hours of 90 hours per week.

edit: And to the guy anonymously sending passive aggressive notes bashing me, please grow some balls and send me a PM so I know who you are. We could actually have a discussion. If you are ashamed or afraid to put your name with a message, don't bother writing it in the first place.

Last edited by hnsq; 05-12-2011 at 06:26 AM..

Old 05-12-2011, 08:09 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,705,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
1. Spending time with family IS selfish, there simply is nothing wrong with being selfish. Selfish is anything you do for your own good, and people spend time with family because they like the emotional high it gives them. Again - selfish is not always a bad thing.
A most interesting perspective. Personally I love spending time with my family, because I feel to some extent people have become so consumed with their careers that family life i.e quality time in the raising and nurturing of a family, has fallen by the wayside. I happen to think the absurdly high divorce rate is, among other things, a byproduct of people investing too much time in their careers versus too little time in their marriages/families. A healthy balance is needed, in my opinion.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:22 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
A most interesting perspective. Personally I love spending time with my family, because I feel to some extent people have become so consumed with their careers that family life i.e quality time in the raising and nurturing of a family, has fallen by the wayside. I happen to think the absurdly high divorce rate is, among other things, a byproduct of people investing too much time in their careers versus too little time in their marriages/families. A healthy balance is needed, in my opinion.
I think you are exactly right, and that is absolutely something people do not spend time thinking about. Personally, my girlfriend and I are very, very happy with our 70+ hour work weeks right now, but we are in now way even thinking of starting a family until our work schedules die down. People try to 'have it all', but with a family comes a responsibility that someone with a busy schedule (like myself) does not have time for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment