Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 09:15 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Sorry to be a Debbie Downer but be careful about putting crap in your food to punish a scavenger. You never know when somone might sue you because they stole your lunch and went to emergency room because they are allergic to ExLax. Just my two cents.
What rights do the person who stole/ate from the lunches of others have to sue? They were in the wrong!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 09:22 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
What rights do the person who stole/ate from the lunches of others have to sue? They were in the wrong!
Maybe this poster has a point. Hasn't there been cases where burglars sues the individual he was trying to rob?

Here are a couple who did:

Convicted Burglar Sues Store He Robbed - Asylum.com

Accused Burglar Sues Homeowner Who Shot Him

Whether or not they will be successful is another story.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:29 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
This is insane. I can see someone stealing a lunch or some. But actually taking a bite out of multiple lunches? That's absurd. I can't even understand the point of that.

I mean seriously, if you're going to steal food, grab the best thing and run. I'm not serious, but atleast there's some logic in that method. One bite from everyones lunch, no logic.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:39 AM

78,426 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
At one of my previous jobs, we suddenly had a lunch thief. It was really annoying because we never knew if we would have a lunch when it came time to eat. Then, the thief started to take a lunch, take a bite out of a sandwich and put it back in the fridge, take a bite out of another person's banana and put it back, etc. The person would eat an entire lunch one bite at a time. No one could eat their lunches because there were bites taken out of everything.

I think that was the most annoying thing we had to deal with. I sat near the break room, so one day I set up a web cam in the break room and we were able to catch the guy. It was a VP who didn't NEED to do it. He just did it because he could.
Yeah, the person was doing that just to be a jerk.

We've had a few lunches disappear around here....hard to say though since I generally just eat in our cafeteria.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:43 AM

78,426 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I think it boils down to a concept similar to the excessive use of force. You can't put a bomb in your car that blows a theif up etc.

Also, the lunch thief can just lie and claim they brought a lunch that looked similar and confused the two. Remember, you are dealing with a scumbag and they are notorious liars and suddenly the burden of proof shifts.

If you are going to put stuff on your food, just put out a "bait" item and then never ever claim that it was yours. Just play dumb.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:10 AM

65 posts, read 92,994 times
Default no free lunches?

Years ago I had a boss/owner that would actually come out of the breakroom and announce "whoever made the tuna/egg/chicken sandwich put in too much mayo/mustard etc", letting everyone know he took food. He had no sense of embarrassment about it. He would dig into other peoples lunches eating sandwiches, cookies, fruit, drinks etc. He felt that because he gave you a job that he could do anything he wanted. We would share our lunch with the person whose lunch had been eaten. When talking to clients he would often mention that there were "no free lunches in this world" and the employees (all women) would glance over at each other and roll our eyes. We all needed our jobs so we never did anything about it. Why, oh why didn't we think of x-lax!!

Old 05-24-2011, 10:13 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ne'ne' View Post
Years ago I had a boss/owner that would actually come out of the breakroom and announce "whoever made the tuna/egg/chicken sandwich put in too much mayo/mustard etc", letting everyone know he took food. He had no sense of embarrassment about it. He would dig into other peoples lunches eating sandwiches, cookies, fruit, drinks etc. He felt that because he gave you a job that he could do anything he wanted. We would share our lunch with the person whose lunch had been eaten. When talking to clients he would often mention that there were "no free lunches in this world" and the employees (all women) would glance over at each other and roll our eyes. We all needed our jobs so we never did anything about it. Why, oh why didn't we think of x-lax!!
I would love to mandate that my staff bring me lunch everyday. Too bad that's not my style.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:14 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This is insane. I can see someone stealing a lunch or some. But actually taking a bite out of multiple lunches? That's absurd. I can't even understand the point of that.

I mean seriously, if you're going to steal food, grab the best thing and run. I'm not serious, but atleast there's some logic in that method. One bite from everyones lunch, no logic.
LOL, that's just a sign of hostility.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:41 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I think it boils down to a concept similar to the excessive use of force. You can't put a bomb in your car that blows a theif up etc.

Also, the lunch thief can just lie and claim they brought a lunch that looked similar and confused the two. Remember, you are dealing with a scumbag and they are notorious liars and suddenly the burden of proof shifts.

If you are going to put stuff on your food, just put out a "bait" item and then never ever claim that it was yours. Just play dumb.
I personally would never "bait" anyone even if they deserved it but I seriously would not blame others for doing so and think that the lunch thief has no rights to complain if things backfired on him/her.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:09 PM

924 posts, read 2,231,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post

Think of a buffet. Why go to a sit down restaurant where you get one main course when at a buffet you get to sample the whole menu? Same thing applies to dating. Why limit yourself to a monogamous relationship when you can date many people, sampling the best the each menu has to offer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment