Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 06:34 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times

Advertisements

Judge orders 25-year-old man to leave home and find job - CNN.com

This article is about Spain, where the unemployment rate for youth is 40%, there are 4.6 million Spaniards unemployed. It is not unusual for children to remain living with their parents until well into their 30's.

The man in the article, a 25 year old male, was court ordered to leave his parents home, because he was abusive. But the parents will still have to make his car payment, and pay a $292 month food allowance to him.

My question is not about parenting, or him getting thrown out..but is this the possible future of the United States? With higher unemployment, and adult children just not being able to find jobs? Living at home until 30-35 years old?

Old 05-20-2011, 06:42 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,972,617 times
Not unless we employ an unemployment insurance program that would make it more attractive to be unemployed for long periods of time like they do in most European countries.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:07 PM

379 posts, read 1,401,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
My question is not about parenting, or him getting thrown out..but is this the possible future of the United States? With higher unemployment, and adult children just not being able to find jobs? Living at home until 30-35 years old?

The future, no, it is all ready taking place in the present.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:15 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,901,622 times
Probably belongs on the Political forum. But it is a problem. Also recent college grads working in retail jobs, but at least they are not strictly unemployed.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:30 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
I've made this point before (or tried to) in other venues and other forum posts too.
Maybe it'll get more traction here.

My Observation: The unemployment problem is less about not having enough jobs for all that may need one
than it is about having more people available to work than there are jobs that actually need doing.

Industry and commerce are chugging along OK enough without these people being employed making for a lot of "surplus" people... perhaps the entirety of the 20-40 Million now not working.

Over the last 30-40 years in the US... at the same time we have shuttered our older industrial base, off-shored other jobs and then through technology and process changes streamlined the remaining jobs down to the point that we're phenomenally efficient at what we do get done even if those who are working are putting in more hours than the past generation did.

But during this same time... we have significantly, dangerously, one could say "boomed" the raw number of our population.
This raw number of people is also impacting all sorts of infrastructure limits and resource reserves.
(151M in 1950 to 203M in 1970 to 308M in 2010) We have gone too far.

As to a solution for the immediate problem? I don't know.
That's above my pay grade.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:16 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,630,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Not unless we employ an unemployment insurance program that would make it more attractive to be unemployed for long periods of time like they do in most European countries.

It is already occurring. The majority of recent college graduates are living back at home unable to find work.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:32 PM

331 posts, read 956,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It is already occurring. The majority of recent college graduates are living back at home unable to find work.
Agreed. I am 28 and I moved back in with my parents this February.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:16 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,181,348 times
Yes, we've exported jobs(low pay, low skill jobs) but we also import jobs(high skill, high pay) Examples would be Toyota and Honda, both of which have operations here in the USA.

People like to think it's all about exporting jobs. We import a lot of jobs. There are jobs available. Now, you may not want that job, but it's there for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I've made this point before (or tried to) in other venues and other forum posts too.
Maybe it'll get more traction here.

My Observation: The unemployment problem is less about not having enough jobs for all that may need one
than it is about having more people available to work than there are jobs that actually need doing.

Industry and commerce are chugging along OK enough without these people being employed making for a lot of "surplus" people... perhaps the entirety of the 20-40 Million now not working.

Over the last 30-40 years in the US... at the same time we have shuttered our older industrial base, off-shored other jobs and then through technology and process changes streamlined the remaining jobs down to the point that we're phenomenally efficient at what we do get done even if those who are working are putting in more hours than the past generation did.

But during this same time... we have significantly, dangerously, one could say "boomed" the raw number of our population.
This raw number of people is also impacting all sorts of infrastructure limits and resource reserves.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:59 AM

580 posts, read 2,292,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

Well for starters, the government could eliminate the child tax credits. This might make people think twice about having children if they know they will have to feed, clothe and put a roof over their head without any help from the government.

I know this alone will not reduce the population, but it might just help slow down the growth. At the very least, it will save the government some much needed money.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:50 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,972,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
The question was, and I quote, "Living at home until 30-35 years old?" I'm willing to bet that the majority of 30-35 year olds do not live at home with their parents. In fact, I'm willing to bet that the number is below 10%. That's a little different than a 20-something who moves back for a short period until they get into a more comfortable financial situation. 95% of my 20-something friends live on their own. I'm 25 and I live over 1,000 miles from my parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment