Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 02:19 PM

4 posts, read 7,393 times

Advertisements

I am a professional in my mid 30s and in my immediate work group we have 3 women, 2 of whom I work quite closely with (in their 30s). One of these women is particularly absent-minded, forgetful, clumsy, sometimes lost in meetings (asking "what did the boss just say?" & "when is it due?"). She sometimes ends up in the wrong hotel during meetings (Marriott Courtyard instead of the Marriott Hotel) so much so that she will call me up asking for directions. She is in no way mean spirited but quite often during conversations, laughs at me, says I am too funny. This happens all too often and I've seen her do it to some other office folks too. I just ignore and brush off these comments but off late decided to heap some on her just to see her reaction.

Its quite intriguing to watch how much she hates being laughed at and being called funny. She even insisted on not being laughed at; despite her absentmindedness that'll make anyone laugh really hard. She even takes offense at being called funny and demands that she not be called so.

While we live in free country, I for one have never told her what to do and not, or how to talk to me. Despite the fact that many find her behavior laughable because it makes for a comical situation, she is so quick to take offense and tells people not to talk to her in such a manner or laugh at her. Logically speaking, if she expects people not to laugh at her or call her funny, then shouldn't she also stop calling other people funny and laughing at them too? How come this never registers with her? I confronted her with this and she didn't have an answer.

In a similar situation, I've had this problem with another woman colleague. She calls me funny sometimes but absolutely hates it when I call her funny or laugh at her.

What explains? Deep rooted insecurity?

Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 02:36 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,678,480 times
Are you specifically asking about women or people in general?

Old 05-21-2011, 02:38 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,624,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plutoneptune View Post
I am a professional in my mid 30s and in my immediate work group we have 3 women, 2 of whom I work quite closely with (in their 30s). One of these women is particularly absent-minded, forgetful, clumsy, sometimes lost in meetings (asking "what did the boss just say?" & "when is it due?"). She sometimes ends up in the wrong hotel during meetings (Marriott Courtyard instead of the Marriott Hotel) so much so that she will call me up asking for directions. She is in no way mean spirited but quite often during conversations, laughs at me, says I am too funny. This happens all too often and I've seen her do it to some other office folks too. I just ignore and brush off these comments but off late decided to heap some on her just to see her reaction.

Its quite intriguing to watch how much she hates being laughed at and being called funny. She even insisted on not being laughed at; despite her absentmindedness that'll make anyone laugh really hard. She even takes offense at being called funny and demands that she not be called so.

While we live in free country, I for one have never told her what to do and not, or how to talk to me. Despite the fact that many find her behavior laughable because it makes for a comical situation, she is so quick to take offense and tells people not to talk to her in such a manner or laugh at her. Logically speaking, if she expects people not to laugh at her or call her funny, then shouldn't she also stop calling other people funny and laughing at them too? How come this never registers with her? I confronted her with this and she didn't have an answer.

In a similar situation, I've had this problem with another woman colleague. She calls me funny sometimes but absolutely hates it when I call her funny or laugh at her.

What explains? Deep rooted insecurity?

Many thanks.
Because she knows she is forgetful or not too bright-again I'd rather work with men...

Old 05-21-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
Are you specifically asking about women or people in general?
Good clarification! I am specifically asking about these women as this has never happened with the men I work with.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Because she knows she is forgetful or not too bright-again I'd rather work with men...
That's a very good conclusion, because she is not at all bright but rather dumb and too slow on the uptake. Despite that, she has her fair share of being warm and friendly at work. Nevertheless, some quirks linger on and takes quick offense to some laughs directed at her.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:54 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,624,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plutoneptune View Post
That's a very good conclusion, because she is not at all bright but rather dumb and too slow on the uptake. Despite that, she has her fair share of being warm and friendly at work. Nevertheless, some quirks linger on and takes quick offense to some laughs directed at her.

Because she is defensive that when people laugh at her it is true...some people don't like criticism..even when it comes in the form of a joke-and in my experience 80% of the time it's women...

Old 05-21-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Because she is defensive that when people laugh at her it is true...some people don't like criticism..even when it comes in the form of a joke-and in my experience 80% of the time it's women...
Again that's a good point. What does that say about her though? And maybe the other women too? Too insecure, too much of diminished self esteem?
Come on, can't they act like adults. Once again, rationalizing this situation, is it too much to be expecting these ladies to treat others in a way they want other people to treat them.

Another striking point is that these 2 ladies are not close office friends, just hard working professionals who work well together. However, when I started calling them funny and asked why they took exception when they in the 1st place called others funny, some confusion prevailed. They were puzzled and wished I didn't even rationalize or bring logic in the conversation.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:34 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,912,531 times
Unless you've lived in some bizarre confinement your entire life with this one flaky woman, then you've surely encountered other females at some point in your life, so I cannot imagine why you would think all women are like her.

Or maybe you're just trying to stoke a gender debate.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:46 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,482,454 times
I think this issue boils down to two ideals; honoring the golden rule (treat others the way you want to be treated) and also not caring about what people think. If both you and this absent-minded co-worker followed these two concepts, you guys would probably be a lot happier.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:02 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,203,753 times
Okay, since nobody else will take the initiative I'll post the inevitable:

YouTube - ‪GoodFellas I'm funny how I mean, funny like I'm a clown‬‏
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment