Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2010, 01:30 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,228,597 times

Advertisements

Wondering....those with PMPs, did you do it to check that square, or did you feel it would really help (or both)?

And after getting it, do you think it was very helpful, or did it turn out to be that square-checker, ie do very little in the light of day/day realities of being a PM?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 02:16 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,228,370 times
I got my PMP cerification in 2006 (renewal this year for me). By the time that I got it, I had already been a PM for several years handling projects budgeted between $2mm to $5mm (IT Projects) with teams as large as 100 people. So I was already prepared for it before I had to sit down and study. So, I can't say I learned anything from it. But it did get me a promotion from Project Manager to Project Lead w/ 12 Project Managers reporting to me.

I personally think that it's garbage certification. Meaning that those who have it, aren't necessarily better than those who don't. I'd even go a step further to say that I know plenty of project managers that have failed the exam, that are much more competent than those who have passed it. Memorizing theory and execution are two different things.

Unfortunately, many organizations put a lot of weight into it. And this is the only reason in which it may be worth it. If you want to move up into managing project managers, it's often a must.

I recommend just getting it and see if it helps. There's no reason not to.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:48 PM

6,828 posts, read 9,092,455 times
I'd have to agree with you that experience is better than just having the PMP certification. It doesn't hurt to have both, but experience is better. I worked in IT for about 10 years, getting up to IT Manager/Project Manager and Consultant. Then I did a graduate degree with heavy emphasis on quantitative Project Management and Operations. Even with that, I was having a hard time getting job interviews. I kept seeing "PMP Required" everywhere. I went and took a 3 day cram course. It wasn't too surprising to see a lot of the material was similar or related to what I studied in my graduate program. The test wasn't too difficult, and I passed on the first time thanks to the prep course.

I had only ever managed small projects at startups, so I never used something like PMP. I still haven't actually used "the program" in any projects, so I'm waiting to see what PMI/PMP actually look like in a real world environment. I still haven't seen what companies actually put together the required documents for each project, and which ones really follow the methods as described in the PMBOK.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:02 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,228,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post

I had only ever managed small projects at startups, so I never used something like PMP. I still haven't actually used "the program" in any projects, so I'm waiting to see what PMI/PMP actually look like in a real world environment. I still haven't seen what companies actually put together the required documents for each project, and which ones really follow the methods as described in the PMBOK.

Oh man. I've worked with "the program". It really makes project manager feel like an admin more than anything else. There's so much excess documentation. I mean, it's not without merit, but it's no fun. All I can say is that EMC and CA have a bright future ahead of them.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:08 PM

207 posts, read 501,877 times
I'm not a PMP, but I have seen that tons of PM jobs require PMP... I've honestly considered it because even in BA work, it seems pretty desirable to some.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:19 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,755,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Someday View Post
I'm not a PMP, but I have seen that tons of PM jobs require PMP... I've honestly considered it because even in BA work, it seems pretty desirable to some.
PMP cert is becoming a joke. Lots of IT people are lying about their experience to sit for the test and take a one week cram session to remember the terms and concepts. Once you have the certification, it does not earn you one cent more. It may get you past some HR "gatekeepers".

Old 06-01-2011, 06:42 PM

15,402 posts, read 29,004,249 times
My daughter's husband is about to take his PMP exam. For those of you who took it, what did you think of the test? Any advice for him?

He's worried because he has an eye problem that forces him to read slowly--he's not sure he'll be able to do all the questions in the allotted time. I understand he only has to pass 106 questions. Does that sound right and do you think he has reason to be concerned? If he fails, can he take it again?

Old 06-01-2011, 07:15 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,944,968 times
I think it depends on industry. In the design industry for example, I haven't heard of a single person with PMP, nor seen a single job advertised stating it was required or even desired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment