Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2013, 05:59 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,170,124 times

Advertisements

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to go for a Bachelors, but I work a 9-5 office job, and a school that is does NOT accommodate people who work anything but evenings and weekends 20 hours a week at the undergrad level, it's really not in the cards.

But I still feel like I can do something. The local CC has classes all days and at all times. But are there jobs you can actually get, here in the DC area where I am, with only an associates and Certs? Hell, actually, jobs anywhere in the country. Doesn't just have to be DC/Nova.

At least just to get my foot in the door. Preferably with a lean towards Data Analysis.

And please, don't tell me to just go for a bachelors no matter what it cost, because it will cost me being able to afford my rent, which obviously is not an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 06:47 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,985,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to go for a Bachelors, but I work a 9-5 office job, and a school that is does NOT accommodate people who work anything but evenings and weekends 20 hours a week at the undergrad level, it's really not in the cards.

But I still feel like I can do something. The local CC has classes all days and at all times. But are there jobs you can actually get, here in the DC area where I am, with only an associates and Certs? Hell, actually, jobs anywhere in the country. Doesn't just have to be DC/Nova.

At least just to get my foot in the door. Preferably with a lean towards Data Analysis.

And please, don't tell me to just go for a bachelors no matter what it cost, because it will cost me being able to afford my rent, which obviously is not an option.
Which certs?

Old 10-19-2013, 06:57 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,170,124 times
Microsoft SQL Server for one. I don't want to do network related work, I know that. God I don't want to do that.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:53 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,985,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
Microsoft SQL Server for one. I don't want to do network related work, I know that. God I don't want to do that.
OK, well I guess I won't be hiring you then....lol.....

Do you have Certs, (freaking iPad keeps capitalizing that word, it must think we're talking about breath mints) or are thinking about getting them? With MS-SQL you'd probably want to try for server admin jobs, but probably would need more than just the one cert, or experience. If you want to be a DBA or database programmer you'll also need some specific training or experience.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:16 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,150,246 times
I would consider starting in tech support; I don't mean call center work, I'm referring to desk side support. Call center work typically leads nowhere (been there for a time) but it can possibly lead to a desktop role eventually.

If you land in tech support and prove yourself as competent, most organizations will give you a shot as a server admin when something opens up (including DBA work, Exchange/SharePoint administration, etc). This is typically how it works if you have no experience.

As for the 4 year degree, I would finish it someday if you could. I didn't and I am in my 40s now. I am happy where I wound up (and am not done yet) and wouldn't change a thing but looking back now I feel like I could have advanced a lot further a lot faster with that piece of paper. Food for thought.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment