Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 10:34 PM

36 posts, read 151,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Me tooooo lol........
so does that mean you and savemtns dont belive me...... or do you wanna buy a cookie!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 12:30 AM

947 posts, read 3,574,201 times
I am a radio broadcaster.. Ive been fired twice.

Once was my fault.

The one time that wasn't my fault, I was in Florida... and they fired me.. simply because they didn't want to pay my salary anymore. I was the only employee there, and by letting me go.. they were violating FCC rules regarding a required local management presence during normal business hours.

Why were they so cheap? 2 months after they fired me, they bought another radio station .

Yes, you guessed it.. that 2 months worth of my salary paid for the downpayment on the radio station.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:32 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,442,114 times
I´ve been fired 3 times.

the first time I worked for an internet carrier, it was a nice job my boss and I had a very good relationship, after I had been working for about 6 months, my parents were suffering a crisis that almost ends in divorce, this left me depressed and demoralized I didn't care anymore about the job so I got fired.

the second time I was working as a macromedia flash designer and actionscript programmer, it was a cool job too but my boss was a jerk, he was very hard on me but he'd let his friends do whatever they wanted, one day I had to spend 3 days without sleep finishing a site that had a deadline that couldn't be missed, after I finished I asked my boss if I could go have some sleep, he told me that the day hadn't finished yet and that I should stay until the end of it, but he left his friends go for the entire weekend and he did their job!! I resented this, and also the fact that the owners of the firm were making millions with our work and that we were just receiving 1% of that, all our creative job instantly became the company's property, so I made a plan if I resigned I wouldn't be paid anything but if they fired me then they would have to pay me a 3 months salary, so the next day I came in late and my boss obviously was angry for that, I didn't care and left him talking so he got angrier after that, then at the lunch break I was listening some music and he switched my speakers off!!! I looked him straight in the eyes and I switched them on again, that scared the hell out of him, his hands started shaking and I could see the fear in his eyes, he then started swearing at me and he told me that he was going to give me a beating and a lot of other things obviously this attracted his boss attention and he got in big trouble, I told her that I was going to sue him for swearing at me and the threats he made she got nervous and told me that we just were stressed but that we should calm down and solve our issues, but I told her I wasn't really happy there and that I thought it was better to go, that if they paid me liquidation I wouldn't sue them she agreed and I got my moneeeey

the funniest thing about this is that everybody thought I was nuts, family and friends alike but I didn't care, the only person who understood me perfectly was a friend who'd been djing for 3 years I guess that souls recognize each other.

it was with this money that I started purchasing equipment for my home studio, music was my dream and my inner voice told me that I should pursue it so I did but I get a third job meanwhile it was pretty much the same than the other one I had to do sites in flash and program the actionscript for them, it was a nice job they paid me almost twice than in the previous one but then I saw it coming the .com bubble was bursting and a lot of startups dissapeared as fast as they appeared, I saw that everyday one of my work mate was being called into our boss office and we never knew about them anymore, so one day they called me and first my boss told me that he had expected a better performance from me and that they were going to fire me, I told him Look man it's better if you are honest with me and tell me the truth I know your company is failing and that you need to get rid of us, we negotiated a settlement and they let me go, with that money I survived until I started making a living out of music.

I'd never be an employee again in my life, it isn't for me i'll never be someone else's slave never again

Last edited by Travelling fella; 10-21-2007 at 12:41 PM..

Old 10-21-2007, 10:44 PM

468 posts, read 1,638,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
the second time I was working as a macromedia flash designer and actionscript programmer, it was a cool job too but my boss was a jerk, he was very hard on me but he'd let his friends do whatever they wanted, one day I had to spend 3 days without sleep finishing a site that had a deadline that couldn't be missed, after I finished I asked my boss if I could go have some sleep, he told me that the day hadn't finished yet and that I should stay until the end of it, but he left his friends go for the entire weekend and he did their job!! I resented this, and also the fact that the owners of the firm were making millions with our work and that we were just receiving 1% of that, all our creative job instantly became the company's property, so I made a plan if I resigned I wouldn't be paid anything but if they fired me then they would have to pay me a 3 months salary, so the next day I came in late and my boss obviously was angry for that, I didn't care and left him talking so he got angrier after that, then at the lunch break I was listening some music and he switched my speakers off!!! I looked him straight in the eyes and I switched them on again, that scared the hell out of him, his hands started shaking and I could see the fear in his eyes, he then started swearing at me and he told me that he was going to give me a beating and a lot of other things obviously this attracted his boss attention and he got in big trouble, I told her that I was going to sue him for swearing at me and the threats he made she got nervous and told me that we just were stressed but that we should calm down and solve our issues, but I told her I wasn't really happy there and that I thought it was better to go, that if they paid me liquidation I wouldn't sue them she agreed and I got my moneeeey
Wow, this sucks. I'm sorry...working with Flash is extremely tough to start with, and only getting a 1% commission? I'm glad your in a better situation now...

Old 10-23-2007, 06:49 PM

32 posts, read 17,434 times
Default Heres one for everyone

I put an application in to work for OlanMills photography setting up appointments. So I came in for training one day and was trained for 6 hrs and then told to come into the business that I was going to work with and told them who I was they didnt have no one working taking appintments so they set me up inthe computers for getting paid. Then they showed me what I was to do I was there for 6 hrs and made over 10 sales that was great for the time I was there. Then the next day the woman who hired me said she hadnt hired me yet and she wasnt pleased with me working for her company without the paperwork being finished. I told her she was the one that told me to come in and she called me a liar. So I never got paid for the work I done and I never was able to go to work.
And yes my husband seems to get fired at the drop of a hat and is never given a reason why he was working temporary was brought into the office one morning and given a full time position and signed up for the classes and then that afternoon he was fired for no reason.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:39 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,139,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandmtrading View Post
that afternoon he was fired for no reason.
There is ALWAYS a reason......

Old 05-18-2008, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 4,323 times
Recently, I was interrogated by Human Resources 2X with the following:

Have you ever expressed that you were sexually harrassed or by ***; did *** ever make sexual advances upon you? Did I ever tell anyone that he made sexual advances on you?

I was flabbergasted! I said no, how horrible, why would anyone say such a thing? The closest I've ever been to Mr. **** is the same distance you and I are from each other (desk distance), over the printer, in the kitchen, during birthday celebrations. I would never think such a thing, he would never do such a thing. I said I've never verbally expressed such a falsehood.

HR says i'm under investigation and not to tell anyone, to keep my mouth shut. And that their door is always open, all the while with the smile of a parana.

I am embarrased about this, why?

Because I'm a domestic violence survivor and in 2002 and 2004 I was let go (fired) b/c of inability to perform my job. That was a very difficult time for me and learning to live alone w/out abuse while being stalked while going through divorce. I've been to 4 DV shelters in 4 states for help and settled here.

My life was going well and I finished my graduate degree.

At my present job I'v reported physical and mental abuse to HR 2X of a different attorney and have another witness thereof (another attorney). I work in a law firm. I never said sexual harrassment.

I've also had to file a workers comp claim (as have 2 others in the past 18 mths).

I believe this may be retaliation and group stalking.

My new vehicle has been scratched in the parking garage. Prior to this meeting, I feel as if I'm being watched. Comments about my personal property and life in question. All future responses will be one word.

I don't have the money for an attorney, yet may have an EEOC claim?

I am embarrased to ask for help. Police say HR has right to follow me after hours as part of her investigation. I don't believe that.

I was so upset that I was suicidal again (during violent marriage); these false statements returned those feelings again.

HR says I must prove I did not say this, yet will not divulge to whom I said it. If I cannot prove that which I did not say to whom I don't know who said it, then I have no defense? I feel someone is trying to rid me, either the invidivual or the firm itself.

So, I may be fired a 3rd time.

Any advice on how to overcome this and find another job?

Will I qualify for unemployment?

Old 05-18-2008, 02:01 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,692,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
At the place I work, there are many people who are fired every month. Many are fired without any type of notice or warning of any type. It is a shock to them and many are quite angry because they know it will take them months to find a new job with a termination on their record.

When I worked for a large Fortune 500 Company, the Management were real strict and no one could be fired without due process unless it was a case of gross misconduct.

Have you or a friend been fired. Was it fair? Tell us your stories.
Um, I got fired from one job because I laid out my manager for implying that I was a homosexual. After he got up, of course.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:24 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,139,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabell View Post

Will I qualify for unemployment?
Maybe but more importantly, you may be able to sell this script .

Old 05-20-2008, 08:28 PM

120 posts, read 482,376 times
Yep...right after grad school, I worked for a company in CT...my boss was an absolute jerk. Six weeks into the job, at my review, he was spewing lies and rumors about me...telling me I was slacking off (I was in the office almost 60 hours a week at that point), and that I had no interest in learning (again, false). For the next five weeks, my job was hanging by a thread. I kept working my ass off, but to no avail. I was fired...my boss essentially told me that my skills were not needed, and that was that. After that experience, I developed a deep distrust of corporate America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment