Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2011, 09:48 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,277,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Yea, I did... I overlooked the part where you need to be on disability for full medicare benefits to go into effect (unless you have certain diseases, which cancer is not mentioned). That's pure BS. It should go in effect immediately for all that are disabled.
Of course it's BS, just as it's BS to have to lose your house and life savings just because you got sick.

Which brings me back to what is wrong with this whole picture, aside from the inhumanity of what senior management did to this man: Health care should not be a privilege, tied to individual wealth, or tied to employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 09:49 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,976,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Health care should not be a privilege, tied to individual wealth, or tied to employment.
Especially if we value life as much as we say we do. "Nope, you don't have the money, so your life is less valuable." Doesn't seem humane to me.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:51 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,167,316 times
This guys best bet is to divorce her and let the debt go to the grave with her. Not trying to be inhumane here but financially conscious.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
This guys best bet is to divorce her and let the debt go to the grave with her. Not trying to be inhumane here but financially conscious.
As strange as it sounds, this actually makes sense. Just because they're not married doesn't mean he can't remain by her side. The only downside, ironically, would be if she miraculously pulls through, as they are hoping she will.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:59 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,640,540 times
Quote:
Assuming her student loans are federal-- they will go to the grave with her. In fact she should not have to pay them for awhile-- my mother when she had kidney cancer did not have to pay her student loans based on her disability at the time.

8,518 posts, read 15,650,824 times
As others have already pointed out, public relations is a big part of running any business, whether you like it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
As strange as it sounds, this actually makes sense. Just because they're not married doesn't mean he can't remain by her side. The only downside, ironically, would be if she miraculously pulls through, as they are hoping she will.
I don't know much about it.. but my guess is that if she pulls through, she won't be fully able.... and could possibly pull bankruptcy off.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
Assuming her student loans are federal-- they will go to the grave with her. In fact she should not have to pay them for awhile-- my mother when she had kidney cancer did not have to pay her student loans based on her disability at the time.
I forgot about the student loans.. I was actually concerned with the medical bills.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
I don't know much about it.. but my guess is that if she pulls through, she won't be fully able.... and could possibly pull bankruptcy off.
I'd hope so. I mean, who'd want to be granted a second chance at life only to be burdened with hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. I'd probably ask them to pull the proverbial chord then.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:24 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,640,540 times
Quote:
I forgot about the student loans.. I was actually concerned with the medical bills.
I was not assuming they were discussing medical bills (she is in Massachusetts and they have the MassHealth as well as her disability coverage and medicare will kick in at some point).

He or the news stories kept mentioning the student loan debt-- which is why I made my remarks.

They were talking about "bills" which I think they would have specified if it were just medical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment