Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2011, 11:12 AM

1,230 posts, read 3,176,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
I've done manual labor in HS and college. Sorry to ruin the view you like to have about college grads being privileged. Manual labor work doesn't pay much because anyone can do it. If everyone could be a doctor they wouldn't make much money.

If anyone can do it let's see you do it. Also lets see you be an Electrician, Plumber, Welder etc. While your at it please tell those guys (or girls) your thoughts on them not going to college. I am sure they would love to jack up their rates for you.

I never said anything about college grads being prvileged, I think you must be refering to another poster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 01:25 PM

171 posts, read 445,362 times
NO HS Diploma/GED. ...long story.

$7.75/hr Executive Assistant. Have had this job since I was 17, and have been promoted twice.

I'm currently working toward both my AA (Dec '11) and BA (May '12).

Old 08-09-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
If anyone can do it let's see you do it. Also lets see you be an Electrician, Plumber, Welder etc. While your at it please tell those guys (or girls) your thoughts on them not going to college. I am sure they would love to jack up their rates for you.

I never said anything about college grads being prvileged, I think you must be refering to another poster.
Furthermore, welders, plumbers, and electricians make pretty damn good money as far as I'm concerned! To put them on the level of landscapers and janitors is asinine.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Unfortunately it's far more of a reality than many would like to think.
Yep.

Part of my job is posting all of my college's job listings online on the school website and for whatever it's worth, here at my Master's-offering state college our job ads have offered as little as $33k/year (in the last two years I've seen as much as $41k) and REQUIRED a PhD. I'm about the least-entitled person you'll ever meet (take my word on that, or don't) but I have to tell you, there's no way in HELL I would go to school for 8 years if I wasn't pretty much guaranteed a salary of at least $75k/year. $33k? Most of the dumbass kids I go to school with are expecting to make that straight out of college with their liberal arts degrees. smh.

a BA: the new requirement to work at Micky Ds. Gotta love the education bubble!

Old 08-09-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Pepper View Post
Furthermore, welders, plumbers, and electricians make pretty damn good money as far as I'm concerned! To put them on the level of landscapers and janitors is asinine.

I know they do I am married to an electrician.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:26 PM

29,827 posts, read 24,917,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Pepper View Post
Yea they can make good money... Just remember though, high unemployment rates. Many union working friends have not worked in 3 years. Some have taken low wage jobs to get by. This economy has been tough for every profession, no one has been spared.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:38 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,523,507 times
Quote:

You can't stay on topic. I was talking about manual labor and digging ditches and now you are talking about an electrician and welder.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
You can't stay on topic. I was talking about manual labor and digging ditches and now you are talking about an electrician and welder.

Umm they also do manual/physical labor thus would be included in the area as well. You don't think electrician's and plumbers dig ditches? I suppose you think someone else does it for them.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:13 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,523,507 times
Quote:
Umm they also do manual/physical labor thus would be included in the area as well. You don't think electrician's and plumbers dig ditches? I suppose you think someone else does it for them.
I don't care if they do. A rocket scientist could did ditches for his job. In the end it still doesn't take any skill and anyone could do it.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:39 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,199,065 times
I love plumbers and electricians. I was just at the home depot tonight to figure out how to fix my leaky bath faucet. I went down there with my iphone, a wonderful employee showed me the parts I needed, how they go together (with an actual demo) and I recorded the whole thing on my phone. Leaky faucet is gone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment