Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2011, 04:52 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times

Advertisements

Personal examples like yours are nice but you are not the norm for someone with a hs diploma. So your in in the stats, just an outlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 04:59 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Personal examples like yours are nice but you are not the norm for someone with a hs diploma. So your in in the stats, just an outlier.
Well, you've just heard from two people who made the suggestion that maybe, just maybe, not everyone needs to go to college. That maybe the market can only support some of those graduates, and the rest are going to have to do something that they deem below them... Do you have any data to suggest that those that have pursued trade based careers are doing worse than college graduates? When a college graduate cannot find a job, what do they all do... They go back to college! At some point, people have to start questioning this endless cycle we're so eager to buy into... Just like service based economies

Old 08-07-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Well, you've just heard from two people who made the suggestion that maybe, just maybe, not everyone needs to go to college. That maybe the market can only support some of those graduates, and the rest are going to have to do something that they deem below them... Do you have any data to suggest that those that have pursued trade based careers are doing worse than college graduates? When a college graduate cannot find a job, what do they all do... They go back to college! At some point, people have to start questioning this endless cycle we're so eager to buy into... Just like service based economies
I never said college is for everyone. Just like four year degree data includes those that went to crappy schools the HS data includes those who went into trades which brings HS data up. It all balances out.

I doubt you'd like the data that compared those who went into a trade vs those who went to a top 50 university.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:14 PM

981 posts, read 1,620,966 times
Quote:
I never said college is for everyone. Just like four year degree data includes those that went to crappy schools the HS data includes those who went into trades which brings HS data up. It all balances out.

I doubt you'd like the data that compared those who went into a trade vs those who went to a top 50 university.
I know from personal experience that a person in the trades, if willing to travel, can make over $100,000 a year. A few of my buddies went to work with an outfit paying $3,000 a week not too long ago.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
I know from personal experience that a person in the trades, if willing to travel, can make over $100,000 a year. A few of my buddies went to work with an outfit paying $3,000 a week not too long ago.
I have never said anything bad about people in skilled trade jobs. What is foolish though are people who continue to compare someone who is in a trade to the lowest college grad. There are plenty of crappy colleges out there with kids who aren't very smart.

To group everyone in college together is rather foolish just like it would be to group everyone with a HS degree as being he same if you are getting into more specifics.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:51 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:

I went to a university for undergrad that at the time was Top 15 (#15, to be exact)

Then, for my Masters, I went to a program that is now ranked #3 in it's field.

All of this which could have been completed MUCH cheaper and faster at easier, local schools (I had free rides to several local colleges).

I am also 12 years older than Andywire and I venture to guess he probably makes as much or more $ than me.

Unfair ... maybe ... C'est la vie...

Old 08-07-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I went to a university for undergrad that at the time was Top 15 (#15, to be exact)

All of this which could have been completed MUCH cheaper and faster at easier, local schools (I had free rides to several local colleges).

I am also 12 years older than Andywire and I venture to guess he probably makes as much or more $ than me.

Not necessarily unfair. I had to start working at 17 to learn my trade. Went home every day smelling of sweat, cutting fluid, oil and filth. Employer taught me everything he knew in exchange for doing work that most people were not willing to do. Had to listen to my parents telling me I was wasting my life. All in all, I have no complaints

Old 08-07-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

So yet another personal example which means little in the big picture. His personal example doesn't mean much in the big picture discussion.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
So yet another personal example which means little in the big picture. His personal example doesn't mean much in the big picture discussion.
What exactly is the big picture you speak of???

Old 08-07-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
What exactly is the big picture you speak of???
That on average going to college will make you more successful. I know this is the statement that drives you to post the same thing over and over here but that is the reality until you break it down further.

Since you like talking about your job. Is the kid that goes to some tier 3 school because mom and dad tell him he has to going to be more successful than a smart HS grad who gets himself into a skilled trade? No, probably not. That fact however doesn't change the overall big picture however, it's just a very small sample.

College isn't for everyone just like a trade isn't for the kid who can go on to a top school and be very successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment