Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 01:54 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times

Advertisements

In this well written article, Josh Bloom describes what happened with hundreds of thousands of jobs in science. I bring this up is to respond to the preposterous claims that America does not have enough scientists (talent), which drives the massive outsourcing. I would like to mention that a similar process took place since 2000 with engineering jobs.
[Vanishing science jobs--Josh Bloom - NYPOST.com

The question most leaders avoid, is what this trend means for America's future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 02:55 PM

8 posts, read 37,752 times
Depressing. But isn't there anything chemists do nowadays besides pharma? It is, after all, the "central science."

Old 06-24-2011, 04:32 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
I'm a pharma scientist and I know a few scientists from Wyeth that have been taking a bath. At my co, one of the giants, we have a lot of big named senior scientists transplanted from pfizer. The article is unfortunately spot on. Patents are expiring all over the place and co's are scrambling. I don't get pfizer, but they have definitely followed the mantra of killing R&D to save on expense while attempting to profit in other ways. As the article notes, it's the reasoning behind the buy out of Wyeth.

On the flip side, it's not all bad news. My co is thriving. As I understand it, they've had record profits during the recession. Why? We actually have an MD/PhD at the helm who is really smart (imo). He started down our current path more than a decade ago and it's paying off. They cut marketing and increased R&D. Now, we have dozens of drugs in the pipeline. We're expanding in Cambridge and a new site is being built between now and the next 5 years. In the last ten years they built 5 sites. Other co's are starting to follow suit. Biogen is bringing their R&D sites from the west to MA and sanofi-aventis (french co) just bought out genzyme and is bringing more R&D to MA.

I know things can change in the blink of an eye, but the building of new sites gives me hope. Either way, I'll try to sit tight with my co for as long as possible.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:30 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Why study boring old science when you can be a big star like Lady Gaga?

Old 06-24-2011, 05:38 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I'm a pharma scientist and I know a few scientists from Wyeth that have been taking a bath. At my co, one of the giants, we have a lot of big named senior scientists transplanted from pfizer. The article is unfortunately spot on. Patents are expiring all over the place and co's are scrambling. I don't get pfizer, but they have definitely followed the mantra of killing R&D to save on expense while attempting to profit in other ways. As the article notes, it's the reasoning behind the buy out of Wyeth.

On the flip side, it's not all bad news. My co is thriving. As I understand it, they've had record profits during the recession. Why? We actually have an MD/PhD at the helm who is really smart (imo). He started down our current path more than a decade ago and it's paying off. They cut marketing and increased R&D. Now, we have dozens of drugs in the pipeline. We're expanding in Cambridge and a new site is being built between now and the next 5 years. In the last ten years they built 5 sites. Other co's are starting to follow suit. Biogen is bringing their R&D sites from the west to MA and sanofi-aventis (french co) just bought out genzyme and is bringing more R&D to MA.

I know things can change in the blink of an eye, but the building of new sites gives me hope. Either way, I'll try to sit tight with my co for as long as possible.
There is a lot good to be said for a company having a CEO with experience in the core biz. In the nuclear industry it's easy to see how much better run the companies with engineers at the helm are than the ones with accountants or lawyers running the show.

Good thing to check out when hunting for a job.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:53 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
It's quite simple. What happened with science jobs is the same thing that's happening with pretty much all jobs: they were outsourced to China and India, where qualified people can do the work for a fraction of the cost. That's what we get when we decide that a largely unregulated global capitalist structure is best.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
There is a lot good to be said for a company having a CEO with experience in the core biz. In the nuclear industry it's easy to see how much better run the companies with engineers at the helm are than the ones with accountants or lawyers running the show.

Good thing to check out when hunting for a job.
Good point. It is something to consider when looking for a job. I'm learning as I go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
It's quite simple. What happened with science jobs is the same thing that's happening with pretty much all jobs: they were outsourced to China and India, where qualified people can do the work for a fraction of the cost. That's what we get when we decide that a largely unregulated global capitalist structure is best.
We have a huge site in China. We have sites all over the globe. But, the heavy lifting is left to Cambridge. We're in bed with MIT, Harvard, and a few others. Until China and India become academic meccas, I suspect it will remain here.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I second that.
What most people don't get is that everything can be made cheaper by someone else on the globe. And, in this case, should we just shut down the business called USA?

Old 06-25-2011, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
I second that.
What most people don't get is that everything can be made cheaper by someone else on the globe. And, in this case, should we just shut down the business called USA?
Innovation is a bit different, don't you think?

Old 06-25-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Innovation is a bit different, don't you think?
Yeah, I know the myth. If you read the article, you know much of the R&D of the companies mentioned was moved to China and India. (On the other hand the top executives still prefer good ol California and NYC).
And since there is a significant risk associated with innovations, many prefer not to invest. Better keep the money elsewhere.
20 years ago people refused to believe outsourcing will lead to the results we see now. (The housing bubble masked our real situation for years). I had been told that China and India will only produce cheap items which are not profitable in the US. But surprise, surprise...
Anyway, you are still hooked on the "innovation myth" which will supposedly pull the US out of recession. Good luck with that.
(Others are insisting some undefined "green jobs" will replace the millions lost in last decades)

Last edited by oberon_1; 06-25-2011 at 04:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment