Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 10:38 PM
ttk ttk started this thread

79 posts, read 178,942 times

Advertisements

Im starting my 3rd year of college. Up until this point I have yet to decide fully on one specific degree. I am aiming towards a Business Management degree but I feel like I'm not sure about how exactly to use that degree because the possibilities are on such a broad spectrum. While this could open some doors for me to pick and choose areas of work, it can, on the other hand, limit me to a specific salary.

I feel like at this point I need to finish something but at the same time I see so many degrees getting people no where. I don't want to start a post-college life at 35K a year, especially after all this debt, hell, I work now in retail at 20K, so it feels like a big waste if the degree doesn't get me at least to 50K.

Im really not so sure about what a good salary is where I live... A normal sized, good condition house costs around 130K - 170K depending on age and build style in my area. I am trying hard not to measure life success on $$$ but at the same time the usefulness of a degree is measured on $$$

Are there any good degrees that you don't have to be a superhuman bookworm like engineering or med students??

If not that, then are there any sure shots at jobs out there for Business Admin grads that don't pay pennies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 10:54 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,130,647 times
Go look at what jobs are likely to be available (And details) over the next few years.

Research on your own... any library should have publications which can help.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:05 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
Why would anybody pay you 50k without experience ? Get real!

Old 07-26-2011, 11:34 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,865,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttk View Post
Im starting my 3rd year of college. Up until this point I have yet to decide fully on one specific degree. I am aiming towards a Business Management degree but I feel like I'm not sure about how exactly to use that degree because the possibilities are on such a broad spectrum. While this could open some doors for me to pick and choose areas of work, it can, on the other hand, limit me to a specific salary.

I feel like at this point I need to finish something but at the same time I see so many degrees getting people no where. I don't want to start a post-college life at 35K a year, especially after all this debt, hell, I work now in retail at 20K, so it feels like a big waste if the degree doesn't get me at least to 50K.

Im really not so sure about what a good salary is where I live... A normal sized, good condition house costs around 130K - 170K depending on age and build style in my area. I am trying hard not to measure life success on $$$ but at the same time the usefulness of a degree is measured on $$$

Are there any good degrees that you don't have to be a superhuman bookworm like engineering or med students??

If not that, then are there any sure shots at jobs out there for Business Admin grads that don't pay pennies?
Everyone is flooding the fields that pay 50K. Many have went into nursing just simply for the money and now they don't have work. I for one, would take 35K over unemployment. 35K really isn't a horrible salary for the midwest or even parts of the south. In Indiana, you could practically buy a house, pay student loans, rent, insurance, food, a few luxury items, and a decent car.

I would measure the usefulness of a degree based on whether or not it gets me out of my parents house, into my own apartment, and allow me to live a decent life without the threat of homelessness or bill collectors. Basically, if I have a job using my skills and talents, that's all that matters.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:36 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,865,783 times
OP: why do you need a house right away? In case you haven't noticed, the housing market is falling and continuing to fall. Do you really want to be underwater on a mortgage?

Take whatever you can get out of college and work your way up if need be.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:25 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,948,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Depends where you are and what field you're in. $50k is a very reasonable starting salary in DC. New hires at my consulting firm started between $67-74k this summer.

4 years ago, I started at $64k with a degree in information systems (through the business school--a lot of database courses, but nothing nearly as complex as engineering). It's still very much in demand and will command an above $50k salary in most markets if you're willing to put in the work.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:25 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
In NJ, even teachers get 50k starting..... Location matters.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:49 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,925,949 times
Quote:

You must live in a very inexpensive part of the country, if housing is largely 130-170K...

A starting salary of 35K probably wouldn't be bad at all, in that case.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:12 PM

143 posts, read 378,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Well, I graduated with a computer science degree several years ago and I was paid more than $50k for a salaried position in the midwest. A couple of years later, I was offered a higher paying position as a consultant in a larger city. I consider my pay pretty normal for my major and my experience in the midwest region. My friends living on the coast were offered $80k for their starting salary as comp sci majors. Prior to the recession, there were people offering $100k on the coast, some starting out, some with a few years of experience. The OP's request of $50k starting salary is not extravagant. I really don't consider many of my colleagues who were paid $50-60k exceptionally bright or hard working....they were just normal people.

To the OP, if you want to avoid engineering and the medical field, other fields that pays above your 35k mark are :
1. Information technology: CIS, MIS, they are all hybrid programs which combines programming and business courses, at my old IT company, many got hired to do IT work (not programming though), and they were paid $50k+ in the midwest, and that was several years ago

2. lawyer: if you are good with reading/comprehension, attend a top tiered law school (which doesn't require any math or science) and come out making a good salary

3. accounting: not sure what the pay is, but it's known to be well paying, and I don't believe the program is terribly intense....could be wrong I guess

4. finance: it's a broad degree but it tends to be the more marketable business degree when I was in school

5. nursing: it technically requires science classes but it's not known to require you to be a "superhuman bookworm"

These are the ones I could think out of the top of my head. I'm sure others can point to more.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:43 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,787,526 times
Quote:

Look into oil & gas (commodities traders with BP make good starting money and have a lot of fun most of the time, for example), look into sales or marketing in the food industry, look into pharmaceutical sales or other hospital service, look into human resources at any number of firms, look into commercial real estate, look into entry level positions with companies like Waste Management (not sexy, but that's often where the hidden money is) and any number of other possibilities. Don't hang your hat on the average salary figures that you find after a google search. Everything is negotiable, but only sometimes .

Write down the name of everyone you know (try to think of people closer to 50 than 30) that may be able to help you get a job or give you some input about how/where to look and start systematically calling them. Network. Follow-up. Think about what you're good at and be honest with yourself about what you are not good at. Tailor your search accordingly. Stay busy and don't pick up the Xbox controller if you get bored, go do something like fill out applications and mail them or, better yet, deliver them in person. Be willing to move to uninspiring places.

Finding a job is going to take a lot of work and may require an intermediary position. There aren't that many jobs for new grads with general degrees where employers are going to be happy to throw a big check at you every month just because you're a swell guy who went to college. You're going to have to figure out how to prove that you're worth hiring in the first place and then you're going to have to prove that you're worth more money to keep. I know of more than a few people who have been professional angry birds players who then have the nerve to be indignant when they don't get a raise/promotion and/or get fired. Be busy and get noticed, don't be scared. Quiet and scared is a good way to get ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment