Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 07:49 PM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times

Advertisements

Just need a reality check here.. this is a job I've been at for a little over a year.. took it out of desperation at the time but currently looking for something better paying (hopefully.)

Some key facts:

- This is in California where the cost of living is well above average.
- This is a technical job, involving computers, higher level math/statistics.
- Work hours is about 50/week.
- This is an entry-level job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 07:50 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Just need a reality check here.. this is a job I've been at for a little over a year.. took it out of desperation at the time but currently looking for something better paying (hopefully.)

Some key facts:

- This is in California where the cost of living is well above average.
- This is a technical job, involving computers, higher level math/statistics.
- Work hours is about 50/week.
- This is an entry-level job.
Can you find a higher paying job in the next year? If yes, then it may be too little.
Can you be replaced by someone who will do your job for less money? If yes, then it may be too much.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:52 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
What is the job? What experience do you have before your masters? These are just some of the things you will need to state before anyone can give you any kind of idea if the salary is too low or on par. Saying the job involves computers is about as ambiguous as a description can come.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:55 PM

21,835 posts, read 25,102,289 times
The job doesn't care what your educational experience or job experience is. It is what it is. If it's a job targeted at new graduates (bachelor's, not master's), 40k sounds about right. A company willing to hire someone with a related master's for a position for entry-level college graduates either expects you to advance quickly or expects high turnover.

Being there a little over a year, I'd start dropping hints that you're interested in advancing. A lot of times corporate culture is that you have to express interest and/or negotiate for advancement. Other places have scheduled tracks that are clearly spelled out.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:57 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
We would need more details, but that would not be enough for me.

I graduated college in 2008 and my starting salary (with only a bachelors, not a master's) was over 35% more than that. I also live in an area with a much lower cost of living. I am not sure if my experience is representative of anything, but I would be actively looking for something more if I were you

Old 07-26-2011, 06:10 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
These days I'd say that you are lucky to have found a $40,000 job, and even in CA a single person should be able to manage for a while on that.
On the other hand, I know people with a BS right out of college starting at $60,000 in engineering. Some companies are taking advantage of the job market to save money by paying less. Use this as a way to gain experience, then start looking around for something better.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:13 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
We would need more details, but that would not be enough for me.

I graduated college in 2008 and my starting salary (with only a bachelors, not a master's) was over 35% more than that. I also live in an area with a much lower cost of living. I am not sure if my experience is representative of anything, but I would be actively looking for something more if I were you
And my first salary out of school was less.

One could say that I worked with computers with a degree of math/statistics applied.

What one job pays versus another is highly dependent on many factors. If you are a developer hnsq then not every job involving "computers with math/statistics" will be paid similar to a developer in demand.

I find it rather-- interesting that this job sounds on the onset very entry level where more than likely a masters is not really needed. Most developers or engineers I know would never say-- when asking about salary-- hi I am getting an offer for 40k for a job with computers and math/stats.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:15 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,417,602 times
I got $65k plus $25k bonus out of college, entry-level. But I graduated well before the recession and went to a top 10 college.

Funny that I now make half as much with a doctorate. Unless it's an engineering masters or an MBA, a masters by itself won't get you that much more leverage in salary.

I think $40k-$60k with a non-engineering BS or Masters is fair in this economy.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:22 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
If you think you will learn skills that could add to the inventory you want to hold in your career portfolio in this job, take it!

Old 07-26-2011, 07:36 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
There is a simple answer to this. Can you get another job that pays more? If not, you aren't underpaid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment