Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 12:38 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,697,478 times

Advertisements

my mom is dying, i took 2 weeks off to be with mom but i have to return if she doesn't yet pass because my company is having an inspection and i also have several personal things to take care of

when i left to see mom the director(normally aggressive but this time sounded humble and apologetic) left a message on my VM expressing his concern and said if i need anything(LOA, $$ loan, etc) don't be shy to ask

i just sent a txt to him explaining that tho i will be returning to work next week, if mom passes i will have to return back here to go to the funeral

he said not to hesitate taking time and to call him and the Dir of Human resources on Monday AM if possible

as a chronic worry wart, is there anything i should worry about re: him wanting me to contact HR? I'm guessing so the Dir. can just document my phone call as to my whereabouts and plans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 01:44 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,776,400 times
No, I believe it to be company policy. You are entitled to brevement time, normally 3 days.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:53 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,565,922 times
Sorry about your mom. Ya HR has to be notified, so dont worry about that.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:01 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,793,369 times
It might be to set up FMLA.

Dollydo-Bereavement policies are set by the individual employer and he would only be entitled to it if indeed was company policy. I do agree though three days seems to be the norm.

To the OP-I read your other posts. Best wishes.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:00 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,776,400 times
RMD, can't agree or disagree with you, only relating to what my experience has been.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:07 PM

856 posts, read 2,016,277 times
I agree with RMD and taking care of an ill family member is usually an FMLA situation. Make sure you documented everything up until this point.

Emotionally it's hard to tell you what to do or hear certain advice but it sounds like the inspection is important and I would make a point to be there. After the inspection make a point to sit down with your managers and thank them formally for the time off. Follow it up with an email thanking them in writing for sitting down with you and thanking them in advance for their future consideration.

I'd think if they are already thinking FMLA when you return they will ask you to fill out the forms....intrusive but necessary...you may need mom's doctor to sign. Since i'm thinking they're already on the FMLA track when you ask for the sit down they'll probably have the paperwork ready. If not try to bring it up during your sit down...say, "I haven't heard of anyone here with this situation before so I'm depending on your input...is this an FMLA situation? Having been a conscientious employee I want to make sure I'm considerate of your needs too."

Old 07-30-2011, 03:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
This is definitely an FMLA situation where you can take additional time off,
without pay if you exhaust personal leave time. It only applies to employers with more than 50 employees, though, if smaller than that you are at the mercy of the boss.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:58 PM

Default I still have a lot of

vacation personal and exchange time since I have been there 20 years. i had asked our supervisor to indicate on my time sheet to indicate a combo of vacation personal and exchange days, maybe that triggered my need to call HR?

if they are trying to get me into FMLA does this mean i would not get paid? my rent is due next week so i would assume next week's paycheck will be paid to me so i can pay my rent

mom hasn't passed yet, normally you get 3 bereavement days when a close relative dies but i'm not taking bereavement time yet

so far all correspondences from bosses has been good, is there any reason to forecast any problem?

if they ask for proof i would have to get a fax from mom's MD who is in ga as i work and live in NY

Old 07-30-2011, 04:21 PM

Default we have more than

50 employees--over 100 I believe

Old 07-30-2011, 04:28 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,793,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
vacation personal and exchange time since I have been there 20 years. i had asked our supervisor to indicate on my time sheet to indicate a combo of vacation personal and exchange days, maybe that triggered my need to call HR?

if they are trying to get me into FMLA does this mean i would not get paid? my rent is due next week so i would assume next week's paycheck will be paid to me so i can pay my rent

mom hasn't passed yet, normally you get 3 bereavement days when a close relative dies but i'm not taking bereavement time yet

so far all correspondences from bosses has been good, is there any reason to forecast any problem?

if they ask for proof i would have to get a fax from mom's MD who is in ga as i work and live in NY
FMLA only secures your job. It has nothing to do with pay.

You would be paid if your abscence fell under your employer's policy for using accrued time off as sick, vacation etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment