Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 09:41 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,917,828 times

Advertisements

Well I got a call yesterday from a job I applied for and accepted their offer. Well, I had three references on my resume. The women in HR is saying that she can't call two of them because they were former co-workers.

One of the references was the man who actually hired me where I'm currently employed. He quit 4 years ago to start his own business. Then I done some side work for him building his website and set up his network. Great reference.

The other was the maintenance manager. He quit about 2 months ago.

Even though they are former co-workers, she can't use them because they were co-workers where I'm currently employed.

I don't understand this at all. I have only worked at 3 places my whole life and the other two places were just grocery stores. I mean I don't really have anymore references.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 12:59 PM

Does anyone understand why they wouldn't use the two logical references that I have just because they were former co-workers? One being a former supervisor.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:17 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
That is odd they gave you a job offer but they didn't check the references first.

The norm is after they decide on you, they then ask for references, once they have spoken to your references a job offer is extended.

Wouldn't the man who hired you been your former boss? A former boss is just what they should want as far as a reference goes.

Did you clearly communicate to this woman that this man was the person who hired you?

Can't you also get one your past bosses at one of the supermarkets to be your reference?

In the future contact people you want to use as references and tell them you're interviewing. I would also take their names off your resume.

You give their names and numbers after the employer requests them.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
That is odd they gave you a job offer but they didn't check the references first.

The norm is after they decide on you, they then ask for references, once they have spoken to your references a job offer is extended.

Wouldn't the man who hired you been your former boss? A former boss is just what they should want as far as a reference goes.

Did you clearly communicate to this woman that this man was the person who hired you?

Can't you also get one your past bosses at one of the supermarkets to be your reference?

In the future contact people you want to use as references and tell them you're interviewing. I would also take their names off your resume.

You give their names and numbers after the employer requests them.
I clearly stated that my first reference was the person who hired me and was my supervisor. I told her this twice and both times she said she couldn't use them.

You're right, it's ass-backwards. They extended the offer yesterday, I accepted, then they call me today to tell me my references are basically useless.

I'm going to call back in a little bit and ask her what they are planning to do. I could get my supervisor from one of the grocery stores to use.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:39 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
This HR person seems like a nit wit. Coworkers are supposed to be your references. If it came down to it I'd just get a disposable cell and ask a friend or relative to play someone for you.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:44 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
The whole thing is confusing. I think you need to ask her exactly what is acceptable and what is not.

My first thought is that they want references that were your managers and somehow think the people you gave were on the same level. I have also experienced before where they want one of the refererences to not actually be someone you worked with. But that doesn't sound like the problem here.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:37 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
I clearly stated that my first reference was the person who hired me and was my supervisor. I told her this twice and both times she said she couldn't use them.

You're right, it's ass-backwards. They extended the offer yesterday, I accepted, then they call me today to tell me my references are basically useless.

I'm going to call back in a little bit and ask her what they are planning to do. I could get my supervisor from one of the grocery stores to use.

That is crazy. Is there someone else in HR you can talk to? That is your former boss.

I would say "I'm not understanding what you want, this person hired me and I worked under them".

I would also get in contact with your former supervisors at the grocery stores as well.

She sounds like your typical HR moron.

They can screw up a one car funeral procession.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:49 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
I think I'll start an online service for rent-a-reference.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:14 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Often times employers want to see professional references AND personal references, (not family members). If she is not telling you this, she isn't doing her job very well, at all.

Give her some personal references, then. I mean, what else do you have besides personal and professional? Or, go with the upcoming "rent a reference" business. Great idea.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:19 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Wow. That is BS. I usually use current co-workers for references. She is messed up. At some point the HR people need to get real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search