Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 06:34 PM

263 posts, read 757,714 times

Advertisements

There's a girl that works in my office that isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, so to speak. Anyway, new management doesn't like her and feels she's not too bright and has been making comments referring to her (only to certain people behind this girl's back and I'm one of the people they've made the comments to) as "@SShole", "that f**ker", "moron" among some other unkind words. They also make fun (behind her back) because she says words out of context and incorrectly all the time. They are setting her up and going to give her a job she cannot handle and know she will only fail at so that they can fire her. The one boss even said to another "consider it an early christmas present. I got rid of her for you"

I don't feel it's right, especially since there are numerous duties (even if a little menial) they can give her that she is capable of handing. She has been with the company for 15 years! I also know the woman is dyslexic and probably has a learning disability. She only has 1 write up and doesn't have poor attendance at all.

What's your opinion on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 06:42 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Why not just fire her? I don't understand why they are going through the charade of giving her something they know she can't handle.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:51 PM

It's obvious....because they know they can't just fire her right now for no reason, unless they want a lawsuit. So they are going to make a reason.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:25 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSideGirl310 View Post
It's obvious....because they know they can't just fire her right now for no reason, unless they want a lawsuit. So they are going to make a reason.
That isn't very logical. They could save the effort and just make up a reason if they are going to manufacture one to start with.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:11 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
This kind of behavior is not at all uncommon these days. Consider it a thinning of the herd. With the employment situation being what it is, people feel that only the best should have the privilege of working, and anyone else can get lost. That is the attitude among HR, management, and even the common worker. Unfortunately, the unpopular also get lumped into the category of those who don't deserve the "privilege" of earning a paycheck. The modern day workplace is, more or less, just a popularity contest. It's like a continuation of high school really. Adults who have not fully grown up.

What do I think about it? Yea, it's disgusting. It's just another example of the sorry state of the modern workplace, and society.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:50 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSideGirl310 View Post
They are setting her up and going to give her a job she cannot handle and know she will only fail at so that they can fire her. The one boss even said to another "consider it an early christmas present. I got rid of her for you"
No professional manager in his right mind would give an incompetent (perceived incompetent) employee an assignment they believe they could not handle. If the junior employee screwed up the assignment, it would be the manager's arse for assigning it to her when it could have easily have been assigned to somebody more competent.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:59 PM

639 posts, read 1,072,125 times
If they are worried about a discrimination lawsuit for some reason, this might be a strategy to get rid of her and not have to worry about that... give her a difficult assignment that she will mess up but in a way which can't really harm the company, then fire her.

Since she's incompetent, I wouldn't worry too much about this. She deserves to get fired, they are just doing it in a mean way. Maybe they should be nicer about it, but the end result will be the right one, and the overall workplace will be improved as a result.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:46 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
This kind of behavior is not at all uncommon these days. Consider it a thinning of the herd. With the employment situation being what it is, people feel that only the best should have the privilege of working, and anyone else can get lost. That is the attitude among HR, management, and even the common worker. Unfortunately, the unpopular also get lumped into the category of those who don't deserve the "privilege" of earning a paycheck. The modern day workplace is, more or less, just a popularity contest. It's like a continuation of high school really. Adults who have not fully grown up.

What do I think about it? Yea, it's disgusting. It's just another example of the sorry state of the modern workplace, and society.
Or it could be a complete fabrication that some people are all too willing to accept to back up their belief that all companies and managers are mean, vicious and uncaring people.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Or it could be a complete fabrication that some people are all too willing to accept to back up their belief that all companies and managers are mean, vicious and uncaring people.
I am friendly with the one who is setting this all up, so I heard it straight from her mouth. Otherwise, I would have never known anything about it! HR and a couple managers are in on it.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:50 AM

Quote:
That isn't very logical. They could save the effort and just make up a reason if they are going to manufacture one to start with.
I would think if it were that easy, they'd just do it. They obviously don't have enough write-ups and know if they just make up a reason the girl will question it and fight it. No one in their right mind will sign a write up for some made up sh*t by some ***hole manager - and management knows that!!

I don't think managers can just fire anybody without proper documentation such as write-ups signed and acknowledged by the employee. The employee has to be given a fair chance and it has to be brought to an employee's attention that there is in fact either a problem with their job performance or whatever the issue is so the employee can then have the opportunity to correct the problem. Aren't I correct?

Last edited by WestSideGirl310; 08-12-2011 at 05:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment