Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 05:42 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
That seems like more than a middle class lifestyle. In 1950 the average house for a family of four was 960sqft and the average family only had one car. The average family also only went on vacations for long weekends (not 2-3 weeks per year!)

If you want to live like you are wealthy, make more money.
It has gotten a lot tougher to make more money these days. Our government has tied the hands of many start-up entrepreneurs. They can't start businesses without hundreds of dollars of permits, insurance, licensing requirements, and possibly even an attorney to handle frivolous lawsuits. It is ridiculous.

I am reading a book called, "One thousand ways to make $1000." It talks about what people did during previous bad economies when they couldn't find jobs. One man made $1000 during the depression selling tomato juice. He didn't have to worry about permits, start-up costs, and frivoulous lawsuits. He packed up his equipment and went to rich side of town to start selling. If one did this now, Uncle Sam would come in, shut down the business or a disgruntled customer or employee would come up with a frivolous lawsuit. We the people along with our politicians are destroying our country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 06:56 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Now people live paycheck to paycheck just to survive.
Some people have been living like that for years. In some cases (not all), people who live like that do so due to their own poor choices.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:13 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Some people have been living like that for years. In some cases (not all), people who live like that do so due to their own poor choices.
Yup, and the government would love to see a day again where people made great money and still lived paycheck to paycheck. Tax the money in and tax the money out. They are doing everything they can to encourage spending, not saving. That type of behavior netted the best and most productive years for the U.S.A.. Yes, the 90's sure were good... On paper anyways!

Old 08-22-2011, 07:22 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
That seems like more than a middle class lifestyle. In 1950 the average house for a family of four was 960sqft and the average family only had one car. The average family also only went on vacations for long weekends (not 2-3 weeks per year!)

If you want to live like you are wealthy, make more money.
Yes. The question could easily be are there too many people living above their means.

Were you really worth that 30k more that you were making a couple years ago? Maybe that was the time to pay down debt and not purchase more things.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:27 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Part of the problem is we fell for her illusion that we'd always see improving standards of living nationally, and we may have to accept our best days are in the past as a nation.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:35 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
I am reading a book called, "One thousand ways to make $1000." It talks about what people did during previous bad economies when they couldn't find jobs. One man made $1000 during the depression selling tomato juice. He didn't have to worry about permits, start-up costs, and frivoulous lawsuits. He packed up his equipment and went to rich side of town to start selling. If one did this now, Uncle Sam would come in, shut down the business or a disgruntled customer or employee would come up with a frivolous lawsuit. We the people along with our politicians are destroying our country.
Kids are getting their lemonade stands shut down in many states.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:52 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
I grew up in the seventies, people were really broke back then - major league inflation. In the 80s we had a big recession, like almost as bad as the recent one. So people were not always making it big that's for sure.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:10 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,715,086 times
Most high paying jobs are at big recession proof companies or the government. Most people I know doing well work for a big recession proof company or the government. Companies like Verizon can afford to pay their employees a lot because cellphones and the internet aren't going anywhere. Federal workers are enjoying some of the highest average wages ever because of irresponsible federal spending. The average federal worker earns roughly double the salary of private sector workers performing the same jobs. Non-coincidentally, many employees in the public sector or workers at huge money making companies do less actual work than someone working at a small business because everyone at a small business has to contribute because company revenue depends on it. Small companies have downsized and less workers are performing more duties than ever. Bureaucracy at a federal level creates no useful product and can hire thousands of people to push paper, surf the internet and take extended breaks at exceptionally high salaries.

Start-up businesses being started by rich people tend to be highly selective in the hiring process because of the over supply of qualified people out of work. Small start-up companies also need to hire the best qualified people because the livelihood of their future businesses depend on it. Huge companies like Verizon and the government wouldn't cease to function even if thousands of cubicle warmers were fired this minute. Also, start-up companies in the private sector need to produce profit to survive before the big pay starts rolling in. Highly skilled people are necessary in building a business. An accountant and a graphic designer at a start-up company better do a good job because they are literally building the foundation new businesses from the ground up. These businesses may fold and often do. It's not like big established businesses like Borders and countless clothing stores aren't going out of business everyday. It also doesn't help that new small businesses are being regulated to death and the average American consumer who isn't rich has little to no purchasing power in this economy. Welcome to the world of corporatism and big government, folks!

Last edited by goldenchild08; 08-22-2011 at 08:29 PM..

Old 08-22-2011, 08:42 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Yes. The question could easily be are there too many people living above their means.

Were you really worth that 30k more that you were making a couple years ago? Maybe that was the time to pay down debt and not purchase more things.
"Hindsight is 20/20" and "if I only knew then what I know now" are two popular phrases that could apply. Not me personally, but many people my parents age anyways. I wouldn't dare lecture them about it though. They made their bed and now they are sleeping in it, they don't need a lecture.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:46 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
It has gotten a lot tougher to make more money these days. Our government has tied the hands of many start-up entrepreneurs. They can't start businesses without hundreds of dollars of permits, insurance, licensing requirements, and possibly even an attorney to handle frivolous lawsuits. It is ridiculous.

The problem isn't making money, the problem is we spend too much of it.

Personally? I saved $400/mo working part time as a server in a restaurant. I didn't own a car (I rode a bicycle), I lived with two roommates, had a TV I found on the street for free, etc...

People simply live beyond their means. I made a budget where I could live comfortably on minimum wage ($7.25/hr where I live). I wouldn't get to go on expensive vacations, I wouldn't own a car and I wouldn't have a 2,000 sqft home, but I would live very comfortably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment