Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 12:08 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
What risk, NJBest? He has NO money invested. Most get stock options so cheap if stock fell 75%, they would be in the black. He has no more risk than any other employee.
That's completely false. Most CEOs have significant amounts of money invested... often their entire life savings. Only fortune 500 companies and the alike have CEOs with little invested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 12:11 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
My point where you are taking the minority and using their actions to make a general statement about the whole.

Most CEOs create jobs inside the US just like most citizens do not rob banks.
Oh OK, that makes sense. So the solution to our unemployment problem is to hire more CEOs. You should call Obama.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:12 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,813 times
It is time to revise the antiquated,complex,and destructive tax codes.

If the new sentiment established by the political right is to have more people participate in sending the irs checks, than do this uniformly accross the board.

We can do this by establishing a flat progressive tax code-----nobody escapes totally. It just gets tiring seeing that too many people that should be paying taxes arent----this includes everyone----especially multi millionaires and billionaires who employ the best tax attorneys they can find to manipulate loopholes and international channels to avoid taxes. These are the same people that claim to be firmly entrenched in the zealot movement-----i.e.---sing the praises of debt reduction and than do all we can to make sure we dont pay a dime to the irs.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Oh OK, that makes sense. So the solution to our unemployment problem is to hire more CEOs. You should call Obama.
You don't hire CEOs.... but yes, it would help the situation if there were incentives for more people to start businesses and become their own CEOs that can in turn hire recent college grads.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:14 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,942 times
Quote:
How do you figure? A CEO creates jobs. That helps society and creates additional tax revenue. The average citizen takes up a job. Which one is more selfish?
You are a small business owner, so I understand your blatant bias.

Look, if GE pays minimal taxes on their billions and billions of revenue, while my dad gets an additional $3000 on his tax return for child credits, who's hurting the country more?

Maybe that's the difference here in our opinions. I'm not talking about your mom-and-pop shops on Main Street. I'm talking about massive corps who hire entire accounting departments to find tax loopholes.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
You are a business owner, so I understand your blatant bias and delusion. Quite frankly, I think you give yourself way too much credit for what you contribute. Beware, this is the path where most sociopaths begin.

Look, if GE pays minimal taxes on their billions and billions of revenue, while my dad gets an additional $3000 on his tax return for child credits, who's hurting the country more?
I can say the same thing about a citizen. A citizen robs a bank and steals $1,000,000 while a CEO risks his entire life-savings to start a business in hopes of making that much. Who's hurting the country now?

Old 08-31-2011, 12:19 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
The last 3 corps I have been at (all Fortune 1000, some 100) had next to no executive equity invested, excluding stock options which on average were "exercised" at under 25% of the stock price at date issued. So I'd challenge you to come up with data on their investment, NJBest. Investments made at open market stock price, BTW. Ted Baxter could not lose paying 25 cents on the dollar (although I do know a few execs who gave that assumption a good "run" (LOL).

Old 08-31-2011, 12:21 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,942 times
Quote:
I can say the same thing about a citizen. A citizen robs a bank and steals $1,000,000 while a CEO risks his entire life-savings to start a business in hopes of making that much. Who's hurting the country now?
You are wasting my time with stupid hypotheticals. Are the vast majority of citizens criminals robbing banks of millions? No. Are most major corps paying minimal taxes on their revenue, in turn robbing government of funding? I would bet YES. Do you see the disparity here?

I swear to god, if you post another dumb hypothetical response pulled deep from within your arse, I'm reporting your post for stupidity.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
The last 3 corps I have been at (all Fortune 1000, some 100) had next to no executive equity invested, excluding stock options which on average were "exercised" at under 25% of the stock price at date issued. So I'd challenge you to come up with data on their investment, NJBest. Investments made at open market stock price, BTW. Ted Baxter could not lose paying 25 cents on the dollar.
You're single out specific corporations to make a general statement about all CEOs. And at that, you're looking at public, multimillion-dollar companies. Take a look at all the mama-papa shops, restaurants, and agencies that don't bring in outside CEOs. There are significantly more small business CEOs than there are fortune 500 CEOs. You cannot choose the worst CEOs to make a general statement about all CEOs. Especially when the worst CEOs are very very few in comparison.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
You are wasting my time with stupid hypotheticals. Are the vast majority of citizens criminals robbing banks of millions? No. Are most major corps paying minimal taxes on their revenue, in turn robbing government of funding? I would bet YES. Do you see the disparity here?

I swear to god, if you post another dumb hypothetical response pulled deep from within your arse, I'm reporting your post for stupidity.
You aren't getting it. You're selecting a small number of CEOs to make a statement about ALL CEOs. The vast majority of CEOs are not robbing government of funding just like the vast majority of citizens are not robbing banks.

Everyone avoids paying taxes. Individuals and CEOs. Some individuals cheat the system just like some CEOs cheat the system. But most individuals and CEOs do NOT cheat the system. So we cannot make general statements about either. So let's stop calling out CEOs as bad people.

I have to go back to what bobtn alluded at earlier. We need tax reform, and flat tax (with some tweaks) sounds reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment