Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2013, 10:04 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,073,807 times

Advertisements

I have read a lot of the other threads and it seems like everyone agrees I should use an address to the state I'm moving to (OR), instead of where I am at (CA). But I can keep my cellphone.

Here's the twist.

One job that I think I am perfect for on many levels, closes June 5. I am flying up on June 11 to secure an apartment, get a PO Box, and was going to buy a burn phone for a local number, just in case. I plan on moving within 30-days (assuming I secure an apt on June 11 - so around July 11) with a job or not.

Should I still write my friends OR address on my application? (that way I don't have to explain that I plan on moving in July). I'm thinking yes and then just say I'm moving to the new city (like if I was just moving locally). Oh yeah, it also asks for your DL info, obviously, I don't have an OR DL yet. I can't fake that. Ugh! I guess I could leave it as is and let them know I'm in the process of changing everything over.

A second part, if I keep my CA address and state in the (required) cover letter that I am relocating in early July and I do not require relocation assistance, will they read it?

The PO box is more for me moving around until I settle down in a city I love, not job related.
The burn phone, think it's worth it? I mean, almost everyone I know keeps their local numbers (and I wouldn't have it until after I apply anyways)

Also, should I write my salary history (if they're not requiring it - this is all online)? Obviously, I know I will make less in OR than in CA, so I don't expect to start where I ended, at all.

Thanks.

Last edited by psichick; 06-02-2013 at 10:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 10:38 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,684,596 times
it seems simpler to me to just say (in your cover letter and under the address on your resume) that you're moving to oregon in july. that's really soon and i don't think that is going to give an employer pause the way someone who doesn't have a moving date does. i've been looking long distance for months now and i've been averaging 5+ interviews a month. i'm completely honest and just say i'm able to move quickly in my cover letter. if you have a set date, you're one step ahead of me and i've been doing fine!

that way you don't waste your time traveling up there to do a short first interview that could be done by phone, for example. or they might be able to combine what would be 2 separate interviews into one day. many employers are very considerate of long distance candidates and try to make things easier for them to interview. and you don't have to make up excuses if they want you to come in on short notice.

employers don't blink an eye at a non-local area code. it's a given that people move around and keep cell numbers.

don't supply you salary history unless you're asked for it. if they're asking, they will most likely take into account the difference in cost of living when they see the location of your previous jobs.

unless you have a fantastic run of luck, you'll probably be up there before you have an offer anyway. good luck!

Old 06-02-2013, 10:59 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,073,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
it seems simpler to me to just say (in your cover letter and under the address on your resume) that you're moving to oregon in july. that's really soon and i don't think that is going to give an employer pause the way someone who doesn't have a moving date does. i've been looking long distance for months now and i've been averaging 5+ interviews a month. i'm completely honest and just say i'm able to move quickly in my cover letter. if you have a set date, you're one step ahead of me and i've been doing fine!

that way you don't waste your time traveling up there to do a short first interview that could be done by phone, for example. or they might be able to combine what would be 2 separate interviews into one day. many employers are very considerate of long distance candidates and try to make things easier for them to interview. and you don't have to make up excuses if they want you to come in on short notice.

employers don't blink an eye at a non-local area code. it's a given that people move around and keep cell numbers.

don't supply you salary history unless you're asked for it. if they're asking, they will most likely take into account the difference in cost of living when they see the location of your previous jobs.

unless you have a fantastic run of luck, you'll probably be up there before you have an offer anyway. good luck!
Thanks for the feedback groar. Like you said, I'll probably get up there before landing a job, which is fine. I figured I should get a head start right now in case there are jobs, like this one, that would fit me really well.

Trying to figure out what HR wants is crazy. I have read so many threads and none says the same thing, hahaha.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:09 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,684,596 times
i know, the problem is that hr people and hiring managers actually are all looking for different things. there's no one definitive answer. all i can speak to is my experience, and while i may get less interviews because i'm looking long distance, i still get tons. more than people i know who are looking locally, even! if i end up moving without a job, i guess i'll find out if a local address helps!

i just prefer not to lie, especially something like this where it seems like it could turn into a complicated and seinfeld-esque web of lies pretty fast. plus i'm working where i live now so it's obvious i'm not really local.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment