Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,156 times

Advertisements

I have been going back and forth since the incident happened on whether or not I should report my employer. I worked at a chain restaurant and one night it was really slow so I was reading a textbook at the host stand. This is never usually a problem and our managers have specifically said they do not have a problem with it as long as we are slow. Well the boss was in a bad mood and decided my textbooks were in the way so he took them one by one and threw them on the floor swearing at me all the while. I felt extremely uncomfortable after the situation that I ended up putting in my two week notice. When I told my family and friends what happened they said I should report him because him unprofessional actions caused me to feel like I couldn't work there and therefore I quit but I do not know where to report him to and if it is even a legitimate enough reason to report someone. Also what would be the consequences for him and myself if I were to report him? Please let me know what you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 01:18 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,692,605 times
unless your state has some labor law that makes it a violation to throw your books on the floor and swear at you, there is little or nothing you can do. You being uncomfiortable bacause of the boss "unprofessional" action normally isn't a action that falls under any of the hositle or threatening work enviroment rules.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:21 PM

8,635 posts, read 9,147,998 times
Forget about it and move on. Lesson: don't read non-work related material while on the clock.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:43 PM

861 posts, read 1,125,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandrychow View Post
I have been going back and forth since the incident happened on whether or not I should report my employer. I worked at a chain restaurant and one night it was really slow so I was reading a textbook at the host stand. This is never usually a problem and our managers have specifically said they do not have a problem with it as long as we are slow. Well the boss was in a bad mood and decided my textbooks were in the way so he took them one by one and threw them on the floor swearing at me all the while. I felt extremely uncomfortable after the situation that I ended up putting in my two week notice. When I told my family and friends what happened they said I should report him because him unprofessional actions caused me to feel like I couldn't work there and therefore I quit but I do not know where to report him to and if it is even a legitimate enough reason to report someone. Also what would be the consequences for him and myself if I were to report him? Please let me know what you think.
I don't think managers are allowed to do that....I'd def report his ass

Old 09-30-2011, 02:08 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,511,312 times
Let it go and move on. The boss holds the ultimate trump card regardless of whatever unofficial rules your restaurant might have had: You were reading on the job when you were supposed to be working.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:11 PM

12,109 posts, read 23,304,345 times
His conduct was unprofessonal, but who do you intend to report him to?

Old 09-30-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
His conduct was unprofessonal, but who do you intend to report him to?
whoever hired the manager

Old 09-30-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
Let it go and move on. The boss holds the ultimate trump card regardless of whatever unofficial rules your restaurant might have had: You were reading on the job when you were supposed to be working.

That is true but he could have gave him a warning or something, that was soo unprofessional of him and he deserves to lose his job....I wouldn't want a person like that managing me

Old 09-30-2011, 02:50 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,167,132 times
Move on with your life. Why do people hold on to things like this?

Old 09-30-2011, 02:59 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,511,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreamerx0 View Post
That is true but he could have gave him a warning or something, that was soo unprofessional of him and he deserves to lose his job....I wouldn't want a person like that managing me
The majority of managers act like this, if not worse. Subordinates (myself included) need to get used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment