Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 11:37 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times

Advertisements

I had a co-worker I could not stand, to the point that I would avoid social outings at work, because being around her at work was more than enough. However, I found that she used those opportunities to trash me behind my back. So, I had to go to them, just to watch my back. So, be careful about not doing this stuff...you never know...plus it is an opportunity to network, and get a better job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 10:18 PM

379 posts, read 813,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingCherry View Post
Update. Gave my 2 week notice due to a variety of things.

Please Lord don't let them invite me to lunch for my last day. They are fake as hell and don't want to have lunch with me. They want to be nosy and make me look anti-social in front of my boss (who is the only person I even like here)

Need an excuse for that....or I will probably just flat out say No Thanks.

Awkward much huh?
If any questions are asked about what new position or new company you're going to, it's perfectly acceptable to say that "it's confidential, you understand, don't you?"Hopefully, they'll just have something at the office instead of going out for lunch. Why not kindly refuse if they ask. You could say, aw, that's so nice that you want to take me to lunch, but I'll get so sad that I'm leaving you guys and I hate good-byes. You're so sweet for asking, really, but just the same, I'd rather not. If they hound you, repeat what you said.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:00 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,168,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash potato View Post
If any questions are asked about what new position or new company you're going to, it's perfectly acceptable to say that "it's confidential, you understand, don't you?"Hopefully, they'll just have something at the office instead of going out for lunch. Why not kindly refuse if they ask. You could say, aw, that's so nice that you want to take me to lunch, but I'll get so sad that I'm leaving you guys and I hate good-byes. You're so sweet for asking, really, but just the same, I'd rather not. If they hound you, repeat what you said.
Hahaha. I normally wouldn't even care and would flat out deny them, but I KNOW they are going to try to make me come off as an anti-social jerk in front of my boss and youbetter believe they are gonna cc everyone and their mom on the invite.

Hopefully they do it last minute and I can tell them I have an appointment lol.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:07 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therock2814 View Post
Maybe so...but where are you going to find a workplace where everybody is friendly with each other?

All managers? Who are you to speak for all managers?I've known plenty of managers whose strategy is to divide and conquer. The goal is to get everyone feuding with each other so they can maintain control over a group. Why do you think dysfunctional/toxic behavior is tolerated?
The vast majority of the time, people treat you the way you treat them. If you have the attitude that co-workers are unfriendly and toxic, chances are that is how you come across.

I can count on one hand the people I have met in my life that I couldn't find common ground with on some level. Life is too short to waste being the kind of toxic employee who is anti-social and closed off.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:23 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
The vast majority of the time, people treat you the way you treat them. If you have the attitude that co-workers are unfriendly and toxic, chances are that is how you come across.

I can count on one hand the people I have met in my life that I couldn't find common ground with on some level. Life is too short to waste being the kind of toxic employee who is anti-social and closed off.
Do you feel people are obligated to be social with you or something?

Old 10-25-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Do you feel people are obligated to be social with you or something?
No, absolutely not. I just think that in a business environment people work much, much better in teams than they do individually. "The whole is greater than the sum of the parts". No one is an island, working by themselves. Teams that work like that don't produce as good of results.

Also, as a very introverted person (85%ish introverted on myers-briggs, if that means anything to you), I have discovered that actually stepping outside of one's comfort zone to be more social is a very good thing to do.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:49 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
No, absolutely not. I just think that in a business environment people work much, much better in teams than they do individually. "The whole is greater than the sum of the parts". No one is an island, working by themselves. Teams that work like that don't produce as good of results.

Also, as a very introverted person (85%ish introverted on myers-briggs, if that means anything to you), I have discovered that actually stepping outside of one's comfort zone to be more social is a very good thing to do.
I'm sorry but I simply don't agree with this. not everyone works better in a team environment. I am more comfortable with someone giving me a tasks and leaving me to go and do that task by myself. I can suck it up and work with a group if need be but I'm much more focus and productive working on my own.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:07 PM

650 posts, read 1,812,334 times
The question is, how far are you willing to lie?

I found that the best excuse is that you have kids to take care of. Tell them you have to babysit your niece or nephew because your sister has night shifts as a waitress.

You can also tell everyone you're a recovering alcoholic. That will prevent people from pressuring you to drink, which is the backdrop of all social gatherings. If people know you don't drink anyway, they will most likely not even bother asking you to go out.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:29 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
The question is, how far are you willing to lie?

I found that the best excuse is that you have kids to take care of. Tell them you have to babysit your niece or nephew because your sister has night shifts as a waitress.

You can also tell everyone you're a recovering alcoholic. That will prevent people from pressuring you to drink, which is the backdrop of all social gatherings. If people know you don't drink anyway, they will most likely not even bother asking you to go out.

Really, really bad advice in regards to the recovering alcoholic comment. First off it isn't true, and even if it was true not something you would disclose.

That information could prevent someone from getting a promotion or being put in charge of a large project that could boost their career.

"Well you know he used to drink, what if he falls off the wagon".

That has got be the worst piece of advice I have ever seen on here.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I'm sorry but I simply don't agree with this. not everyone works better in a team environment. I am more comfortable with someone giving me a tasks and leaving me to go and do that task by myself. I can suck it up and work with a group if need be but I'm much more focus and productive working on my own.
I am saying that it is a proven fact that people work better in groups. From a behavioral science point of view, it is better for the company as a whole to have a team of people who are 80% good than a group of individuals who are 100%. In the end, the results are better. You don't have to agree, that is simply the fact (from a scientific point of view). PM me and I can recommend some books on the subject if you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment