Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 03:35 PM

238 posts, read 1,144,752 times

Advertisements

I just got back a few days ago from a high school reunion. One thing I was shocked about was how changed people were by their choice of occupation. I am a strong believer that our choice of career really effects our personality. Working in a certain type of environment every day with certain personality types common to that profession, changes us as people.

For example, one old friend from High School is now working on Wall Street and he has developed that image and personality common in large brokerage firms. Another friend works on cars everyday and doing that type of work has really changed him. They were similar in high school, now they have adapted to their work environments.

Do you agree and how has your career changed you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 11:50 AM

22 posts, read 148,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
I just got back a few days ago from a high school reunion. One thing I was shocked about was how changed people were by their choice of occupation. I am a strong believer that our choice of career really effects our personality. Working in a certain type of environment every day with certain personality types common to that profession, changes us as people.

For example, one old friend from High School is now working on Wall Street and he has developed that image and personality common in large brokerage firms. Another friend works on cars everyday and doing that type of work has really changed him. They were similar in high school, now they have adapted to their work environments.

Do you agree and how has your career changed you?
I believe it, because the majority of the person's life (since employment) is spent at work, and being surrounded by that environment constantly is sure to change someone.

I can't answer directly, since I'm only a freshman in college, but I will say, college has changed me. Only a year ago, I lacked discipline, I spent too much time doing things other than what I was supposed to, etc. but now, totally different story.

I'm focused, I feel as if I understand the "real world," and I have a zest for living. College has been amazing, going off on your own has changed me into a better person, and made me aware of my responsibilities and my future.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:46 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,473,607 times
Maybe, but then teens spent a lot of effort in high school conforming, so they may have been holding it in at that time and then when they got away from that they could be their true selves.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:12 PM

33 posts, read 144,383 times
Default Still the same...

Have to say my personality is still the same, I still relate with my old high school buddies the same way. I think people change with a mix of items, including relationships, or lack of; and stress from striving to get ahead. It's about how determined someone is, or if they just flow with the herd.

In example, I could be giving an executive presentation, or on another level I could be helping a temp install software, dealing with all personality types. At the end of the day, it's still me. I act the same with family, my friends... Dealing in IT, most of our worker-levels play video games, and our higher-levels golf; I do neither. But that may be where you are leading with the question, not necessarily the job affecting personality, but how far a person changes to fit in. (I.e. - Donating to fundraisers, playing golf, new fashions, certain work hangouts). It's all a choice, and if you choose to adopt their traits. It's a choice of how far one goes, and what mindset they have.

But, I can agree if someone has moved away, and need to relate to unfamiliar persons, they will have to adapt to that environment. If you were to sell high profile real estate in New York, and then next year sell ice cream cones in Daytona, anyone would see a change in you.

Work is just work. You are either satisfied, or you despise it.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:11 AM

9 posts, read 18,154 times
Talking To DOOdeDOO

I agree with you, but you geeks all live inside your own little worlds anyway! And I mean no disrespect, my son is an amazing IT geek, and I'm a geek in training...
Some people maybe expected things to turn out differently. My 35 reunion was 3 years ago, and the successful kids are successful adults, the druggie kids are toothless, uncouth, didn't age well (but more fun to be around)...the divas are still divas, and then there's me, the ultimate misfit. I STILL don't know what I wanna be when I grow up. But I do like testing viruses and firewalls and stuff...

Old 10-03-2011, 02:10 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times
I donno. Working in manufacturing most of my adult life has made me hardcore conservative and slightly bitter. My mother say's I'm not a very happy person, but I don't think she ever liked my career decision. She has this idea that if I we're working in an office somewhere, trapped in a cubical, my life would be more fulfilling.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:24 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,093,726 times
Still the same.

And I don't go to reunions cuz all I ever wanted to do in high school was to get out.

Heck, if I wanted to see any of those jackwagons....then I'd invite 'em all to Phoenix in the springtime.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:44 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,847,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I donno. Working in manufacturing most of my adult life has made me hardcore conservative and slightly bitter. My mother say's I'm not a very happy person, but I don't think she ever liked my career decision. She has this idea that if I we're working in an office somewhere, trapped in a cubical, my life would be more fulfilling.
Trust me, you made the right career decision. Working on paperwork all day, every day in a miserable little cubicle would make you FAR more bitter than you are now. You never feel like you've accomplished something. It's just more and more dull and boring spreadsheets and work papers to go through, every single day...

Old 10-03-2011, 06:37 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,380,609 times
Great. I taught Special Ed for twenty years, worked with drug addicts for ten. I wonder how that affected my personality?

Old 10-04-2011, 07:24 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,438,836 times
Yes since I got involved in science I am always in a bad mood, mistrustful of others, very pessimistic, have a very low opinion of companies. In general it has degraded my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment