Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 09:04 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
Do some reading on Watson (Supercomputer).

Now, Imagine if you programmed it with everything you know. And all the other Concierge's in your city did the same thing. And the restaurant critics. And tour guides. And etc...

Right now, we are just seeing the very tip of what is coming. So many people underestimate them, based on how they perform NOW. But, they are doubling their performance every year or so. People aren't.
It is a possibility, yes. We can be replaced.

But a machine cannot really replace a truly knowledgeable concierge/employee When you have experienced over years, the shows, attractions and restaurants personally, Your knowledge is better. Also a machine cannot engage in conversation, Making personal choices and comforting a guest when their entire set of luggage is lost at the airport, Or they miss a flight and are confused about travel. There are many situations that require true problem solving skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 10:22 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
If lawyers and paralegals are all robots, wouldn't the judge have to be one too? Just saying...

I agree with getting rid of most Pharmacists. WTF do they do back there anyway? How hard is it to put some tablets in a damned bottle?

I look forward to the day drivers are replaced with robots but I don't see that happening in my lifetime. No more traffic jams!!!

Old 11-10-2011, 10:25 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
It is a possibility, yes. We can be replaced.

But a machine cannot really replace a truly knowledgeable concierge/employee When you have experienced over years, the shows, attractions and restaurants personally, Your knowledge is better. Also a machine cannot engage in conversation, Making personal choices and comforting a guest when their entire set of luggage is lost at the airport, Or they miss a flight and are confused about travel. There are many situations that require true problem solving skills.
When I run into a surly concierge, I always think to myself "why do I even bother with these people when I have Google in my room?". I agree that a robot/computer can't replace the personal touch, though.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:26 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,463,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
If lawyers and paralegals are all robots, wouldn't the judge have to be one too? Just saying...

I agree with getting rid of most Pharmacists. WTF do they do back there anyway? How hard is it to put some tablets in a damned bottle?

I look forward to the day drivers are replaced with robots but I don't see that happening in my lifetime. No more traffic jams!!!
It has already been legalized in NV. Depending on how well it does there, it may roll out quicker than we think.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:39 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
When I run into a surly concierge, I always think to myself "why do I even bother with these people when I have Google in my room?". I agree that a robot/computer can't replace the personal touch, though.
There are those in the Hotel Industry that are surly, This industry takes super patience, And attention to detail.

I personally find, And im not padding this, 98% of the guests are awesome. Kept in touch with quite a few even after departure. After being in retail management for years, I found this a lot easier. Getting out of retail and managing in some cases what was a motley crue, I have nothing but gratitude.

If a machine moves in and takes over, I will move on with good memories and pride.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:42 AM

'Thinking' Robot Teaches Itself a Task : Discovery News

and they are learning to learn.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:32 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
I have read that parking garages in Europe are more automated than in the US because wages are higher. One initiative that flopped is self serve checkout, not using robots but making the customer do the work. As David Matthews put it, "Cars will soon be able to drive themselves, and that's when I'm going to start walking."

Old 11-11-2011, 09:52 AM

379 posts, read 813,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
As David Matthews put it, "Cars will soon be able to drive themselves"
There are now driverless rail pods on a track where a person for example leaves the airport, punches in the destination, and the car drives itself and knows where to stop. It's not just for the airport, it goes throughout a city.

Other jobs robots have taken from people -
bank teller because of the atm
grocery store cashier because of the automated self checkout
typist because there's software that lets you speak words and your words get typed on the page
vacuumer - due to the rhumbot
photographer - the little booth you get in to take a picture
ticket seller - due to the self serve machines that you can buy any type of ticket such as movie, travel, etc.

Last edited by mash potato; 11-11-2011 at 11:07 AM..

Old 12-24-2011, 07:56 AM

Why it's time to worry about rise of the android workers - CNN.com

as the months and years go by, expect to see more and more of these stories.

And the political situation will get even worse.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:55 PM

Phillip K. Dick Android - YouTube

form is getting closer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment