Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 01:29 PM

12,777 posts, read 14,992,488 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend just got a job at my district. So far, it's not permanent. We won't really see each other hardly, which I think is a good thing, but I'm guessing we might come across each other on rare occasions. He hasn't acually started just yet. Of course we're not going to tell anyone that we're in a relationship w/ each other because there's no point, but if I see him in passing at one of my schools, of course we'll say hello or talk just a tad.

If we had to work closely or if one of us was the other's boss, that's a different story. I wouldn't really care to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 10:20 AM

103 posts, read 208,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
My boyfriend just got a job at my district. So far, it's not permanent. We won't really see each other hardly, which I think is a good thing, but I'm guessing we might come across each other on rare occasions. He hasn't acually started just yet. Of course we're not going to tell anyone that we're in a relationship w/ each other because there's no point, but if I see him in passing at one of my schools, of course we'll say hello or talk just a tad.

If we had to work closely or if one of us was the other's boss, that's a different story. I wouldn't really care to do that.
The workplace is the one of the most stressful places and to brining your SO into it would be insane imo. Although, I respect people who can pull it off.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:00 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
As long as one of you is not a supervisor, it is doable.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:57 PM

753 posts, read 1,482,913 times
We would drive each other crazy. A little distance and time apart is a beautiful thing.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:49 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
We work directly with each other (not by choice) and there are times when we want to kill each other.

If you work at the same place and don't have direct contact all the time, I think it won't be a problem.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:00 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
I think I would like it. Dunno if my wife would, though.

But if I really, really like someone, I am unlikely to ever be sick of their presence, because I am so easily able to retreat into my own head. But I have to like you A LOT.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:05 AM

3,985 posts, read 5,016,782 times
I've worked with my husbands at different times throughout our work history. I personally loved it. He's my best friend and I truly enjoy his company, even if we can't be social at the workplace. Knowing he's close by brings me a huge amount of comfort, even on the most stressful days.

I know most jobs don't prefer or even allow for spouses or SO's to work together, but in my case, what a shame!!

Old 10-10-2011, 10:07 AM

3,985 posts, read 5,016,782 times
I mean "husband" (not plural) as in I just have one! he he

Old 10-10-2011, 10:32 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,046,832 times
I have worked with me SO on a few occasions in the past. Short term field science jobs. He's a very good field scientist and I learn a lot working with him. It went ok but sometimes it's frustrating to work with him.

I now work at a small archaeological consulting company. There are about 30 people in this company, split between 4 regional offices. There are at least 4 married couples in this company. Maybe it's the nature of the business, or a field scientist thing.

At the office I work at there is one couple. I don't think they are married but have been together for several years. They were both hired here at the same time, as a couple, about 6 years ago. They do not share an office (by request) but they often go work in the field together. They seem to get along ok but I think the gal gets frustrated with the guy sometimes. With both working at the same long term job it would be tough if they broke up or something.

I'm happy to not be working with my SO for now. My job is pleasant and it is sometimes my get-away-from-the-SO time. He knows how to do my job so I can discuss things with him.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:26 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
My wife and I work at the same hospital but in differant departments. We have many of the same friends. Many of our co-workers also are married to co-workers. We are invited to the same parties. The Director of my wifes department gave me an invitation for our family to attend a party at her home. (Her husband also works at the hospital) This Director and I have been friends for years and have worked together on various hospital functions. Both of us are on an Employee Advisory Council together. I bring that up because she is the person my wife reports to.

Personally I have no problem working at the same place as my wife. At the hospital it is a part of the culture though. Many of us do it now. That being said my wife now works the 7pm to 7am shift three nights a week while I work Monday - Friday 8am to 4:30pm. It is not like we see each other at work now.

About the only down side that I can see is that it could cut into your player lifestyle. LOL I mean if you are a flirty kind of person and fun to be around then you have to watch your step in the work place more so when a SO works there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment