Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 06:17 AM

1,018 posts, read 3,381,802 times

Advertisements

I am doing fine, I dont have kids. but if i had kids, i wont be able to support them.

my question is, has anyone here worked at a job where the pay is low, and on top of listening to a boss, working 40 hours a week, have no time for kids/other BS in life, and they come home and still cant pay the basic bills?

example- a worker that makes minimum wage, 1200 after taxes per month, only to spend 800 on rent (expensive city), 100 on expenses, 100 transportation, and 200 on food, totaling 1200 a month. at that point does it feel like that person is WASTING THEIR TIME FOR NOTHING? wouldn't being homeless be a better option?

I have not gotten to that situation, but im pretty sure some folks might have. its the same math, such as someone making 2000 a month after taxes, has a family, and have to pay more for rent, food, etc, equaling to 2000 a month. with many jobs going and some folks looking to find any job, I can see this happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 06:20 AM

3,044 posts, read 5,003,619 times
Why wouldn't said person look at ways of reducing their largest expense (rent)? Room mates, for example.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:24 AM

1,018 posts, read 3,381,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Why wouldn't said person look at ways of reducing their largest expense (rent)? Room mates, for example.
some expensive cities do get that high, even with roomates. thats how much my friend is paying in NYC after utilities.

well my point is about working in a job, still broke, and feeling like they are wasting time. all the numbers i put up there, its just an example. its basically someone who is living paycheck to paycheck, even after cutting out every single "luxury" of life.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:54 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,711 times
Yeah, I have been at the point where I cut back on medication and not getting the glasses I need. Oh, and forget health insurance. Anyway, sometimes I think I would be better off if I got pregnant and went on welfare.

You can reduce your expenses so much that you even start cutting out the necessities in order to be able to survive. I have been playing Russian Roulette with my health for the past two years because $10.00 an hour just doesn't cut it.

A lot of older people have no idea about what it takes to make it these days. If you factor in inflation, high rents, high gas and food prices, high healthcare prices, you can't survive. Many of these people who criticize the poor for not being able to find things to cut from their budget of $1000 a month grew up in a day when $1000 a month was good money. They are still living in the 70s.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:15 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,440,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Roommates are a hassle. A lot of people end up hating their roommates. I cannot live with just any ol' stranger I find on craigslist.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:20 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,846,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Roommates are a hassle. A lot of people end up hating their roommates. I cannot live with just any ol' stranger I find on craigslist.
Same here. I'd probably go nuts if I lived with a complete stranger.

If I was in such a financial bind that I needed to live with roommates, I'd ditch the apartment and buy an old van to live out of. I'm not kidding.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:25 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,440,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Same here. I'd probably go nuts if I lived with a complete stranger.

If I was in such a financial bind that I needed to live with roommates, I'd ditch the apartment and buy an old van to live out of. I'm not kidding.
I might have you beat. I'm moving back in with my parents.

This is not out of necessity, but to pay down student loans and become debt free.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:39 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,237,506 times
^^ Im doing the same thing but still have a lousy minimun wage job and cant get into my field of study...times are tough these days

Old 03-09-2013, 05:01 PM

114 posts, read 245,036 times
Times are tough and costs are only going up. I would know I live in NY and want outttt again

Old 03-09-2013, 05:07 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
I;m in that situation now but won't be after May because I have decided to move

My rent has went up and is continuing to rise and I refuse to stay in this APT any longer

Looking for a new place as I type this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment