Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2013, 12:31 AM

25 posts, read 53,436 times

Advertisements

HI,
With many job applies and no response from employer, my dh is
My dh would like to move up to a manager from "technician" position. He is in IT industry. His current work as a Network Analyst but works like a technician (installing, repairing, ordering, teaching computer programs to end users, or computers in addition to other duties in a local municipality organization) although he had some managing experience when he was in the Navy (almost 12 years). He got a BA in Computer Information System last year and would like to find a work as a IT or Network manager type position where he can manage technicians (along with other duties).
The problem lies when he applies for a managerial position, he doesn't have "enough" experience managing according to most job qualification. However he would like to put his "foot in the door" in that field to gain experience in managing people. How can this be achieved when there is no opportunity for him to manage people?
How can one move up to the next level with not enough experience? Should he go further his education? (At age 42, getting a BA was hard enough for all of us).
In addition to this, we are trying to find a job in out of State (CA) which makes it more difficult. (Not being a locale, very little chance of hearing back? <--- from what I've read so far).
He is signed up for a gazillion networking sites, job sites and gets newsletter and new job posting emails enough already. I know there is a way, we just need to know how to get there quickly.
Thank you for reading and any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 05:14 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greencrew View Post
HI,
My dh would like to move up to a manager from "technician" position. He is in IT industry. His current work as a Network Analyst but works like a technician (installing, repairing, ordering, teaching computer programs to end users, or computers in addition to other duties in a local municipality organization) although he had some managing experience when he was in the Navy (almost 12 years). He got a BA in Computer Information System last year and would like to find a work as a IT or Network manager type position where he can manage technicians (along with other duties).
The problem lies when he applies for a managerial position, he doesn't have "enough" experience managing according to most job qualification. However he would like to put his "foot in the door" in that field to gain experience in managing people. How can this be achieved when there is no opportunity for him to manage people?
How can one move up to the next level with not enough experience? Should he go further his education? (At age 42, getting a BA was hard enough for all of us).
In addition to this, we are trying to find a job in out of State (CA) which makes it more difficult. (Not being a locale, very little chance of hearing back? <--- from what I've read so far).
He is signed up for a gazillion networking sites, job sites and gets newsletter and new job posting emails enough already. I know there is a way, we just need to know how to get there quickly.
greencrew,

If your husband is getting all of the info from job sites he is I'd first recommend he search there and post in forums on some of the major job boards about how to get managerial experience. Is there not a manager somewhere in your area that your husband could speak with about how to START the process?

I don't mean this to come across as abrupt or insensitive, you emphasize a few times in your OP that this needs to happy quickly. I think most of us who have worked, paid bills or had to continue to support ourselves and others realize we all need things quickly. Perhaps that message is getting sent out in other ways to potential employers as well? I don't know anything about how many years a technician should work as a technician to move into management. Various companies may have some strong reactions if they are receiving the message I did above about the time-frame.

I do know you husband could volunteer in the community, potentially with scouting or a food shelter etc. where he could more easily be able to work in supervisory roles for a while. I'm not sure how it works in IT if there is a leap between technician to Manager. In most organizations, there are supervisory positions in between Technician and Manager. Volunteer experience counts as non-compensated work experience. That's an easy way to see if your husband really does enjoy managing others, as not every does.

I hope others in the industry can give your husband concert answers when he asks for their suggestions. Good luck

MSR

Old 03-10-2013, 01:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
All of our supervisory and manager positions require leadership experience. Sometimes part of it may be substituted with education, so taking outside supervisory/management classes can help. The real problem with simply promoting a good technician is the importance of having people skills, and knowledge of employment laws. Companies want to avoid lawsuits, and with a lot of qualified, experienced managers available in this economy are less likely to take a chance on someone new at it. Experience can also be gained from leading projects, even as a technician. Often a group from several divisions will be formed to implement a new system and those managers will ask for a volunteer to lead it. It's even possible to come up with a great idea and make a recommendation, at the same time volunteering to head it up.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:46 AM

25 posts, read 53,436 times
Thank you all. He is working in an environment that is under-manned and his supervisor is from another department (non IT dept) who is also very busy thus dh learning from him is very limited.
By "quckly", I don't mean to rush and get it done now. (I know experience takes time). We want to find a way to reach the goal sooner than later. He doesn't want to be stuck in the same position and retire. He has more specified skills and experience that he is not able to utilize in current position.
I look forward to hearing more advice.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:53 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greencrew View Post
HI,
Has he actually talked to people at his company or in his industry about his ambitions in person?

Old 03-12-2013, 08:15 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,140,376 times
Some ideas to get to a people mgmt role:
- Be a really good technician, put in your time, volunteer for projects, and get promoted to a supervisory position.
- Be a jack-of-all-trades type of working manager at a small company (read: start up)
Either way, there's no magic bullet ... you'll need to put in your time like everyone else.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:03 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,445,026 times
Good posts to give some additional suggestions. I'm glad to hear your family knows gaining the necessary experience does take time for all of us and your use of the word "quickly" means your family knows what career goals your hubby has.

I'd also recommend contacting your local employment agency as well as any technical, community colleges or universities in your area. There are often job fairs at different venues which are open to the public. Attending those classes can give your husband additional information of what opportunities to learn/practice leadership rules are available in your area, let alone learn more about so many of the hidden roles managers play, like maintaining employment laws, evaluation skills, creating a budget for the department etc. You can attend any of those workshops too, as his is indeed a family project. It might help everyone if you could get additional information when you ask your own questions to area experts.

Good luck

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment