Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 11:51 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,334,853 times

Advertisements

Premise: I think my company is going ask that my schedule be changed to impossible hours. I would like people's opinions on whether they agree and how to make a cogent argument to my boss about it. I LOVE my job and I don't want to leave, so any advice on this situation would be helpful.

A little background: Right now, I'm working 40 hours a week, 10 hour days, four days per week. I have a commute that's a little over an hour, so when it's all said and done, I'm working a 12 hour day. I'm ok with that. My question is about the times they want me to finish and come back.

Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, I work 11am-9:30pm and Wednesdays 8am-5:30pm. As it stands, on Tuesdays I get home at 10:30pm and then have to get up again at 6:30am to head back to work. I work at a hospital managing patients and I have so much adrenaline that when I get home at 10:30pm on Tuesday it's almost impossible for me to get to sleep at a decent hour and I'm dragging myself through Wednesday.

I get a total of 4 hours sleep on Tuesday night. By the time I get home from work on Wednesday, I'm exhausted and go right to bed, so even though it's my only free night during the week, I use it by sleeping.

All that is manageable enough, because I get Fridays off and it makes up for it. Except NOW I'm hearing they want to change my schedule to this:

M: 1pm-9:30pm
T: 1pm-9:30pm - get home @ 10:30pm
W: Wake up at 6:30am, 8am-5:30pm
R: 1pm-9:30pm - get home @ 10:30pm
F: Wake up at 6:30am, 8am-5:30pm

I'm so convinced that this schedule is not going to work for me that I might have to start looking for a new job, which I really don't want to do because I love my job.

My biggest concern is that because I'm working with patients, I won't be able to make the best decision and the best choices when it comes to patient care because I'm going to be so exhausted. My next concern is that it's totally going to wreck my whole week. I know myself, and I know I'm going to be so tired on Wednesday and Friday, that I'm going to spend the whole rest of my night sleeping, which obv only gives me Saturday and Sunday to get everything done that I need to errand-wise, and of course downtime.

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 11:56 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post

My biggest concern is that because I'm working with patients, I won't be able to make the best decision and the best choices when it comes to patient care because I'm going to be so exhausted.

My next concern is that it's totally going to wreck my whole week.

Underlined = the only concern you express to your employer.

The non-bolded copied sentence is not supposed to concern them. Avoid saying that, to anyone, at work. Always.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:00 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
Your issue certainly sounds reasonable. To go consecutive days from a late shift to an early shift just sounds horrible. Is there someone else that does your job with the opposite hours?

Old 05-12-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Underlined = the only concern you express to your employer.

The non-bolded copied sentence is not supposed to concern them. Avoid saying that, to anyone, at work. Always.
Ok thanks

My other coworkers have said that what they're asking is an unfair schedule and I was also wondering what other people thought?

Old 05-12-2013, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Your issue certainly sounds reasonable. To go consecutive days from a late shift to an early shift just sounds horrible. Is there someone else that does your job with the opposite hours?
Thanks I'm kinda freaking out because I don't know what to do. I mean, if they make me do it, I'll have to just suck it up, but eventually I'll have to leave because I don't think I can maintain that kind of schedule.

I'm the last person to leave at night, so no one has opposite hours from me.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:11 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
So the days you start at 1 does that mean no one does your job in the morning?

Old 05-12-2013, 12:24 AM

I have a coworker who works from 8am-6:30pm, and right now I work from 11am-9:30pm. We work in the Outpatient part of the hospital, so there are no patients living here or who stay overnight.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:24 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,293,021 times
are they one of those places that don't pay you for the lunch break to get you to say 30 minutes longer? I dislike that. Anywhoo, yeah not the best schedule. Straight 1:30PM to 9PM would be more reasonable.

With that said, the place I work is sometimes (usually) overtime heavy and always rotates shifts and when people are working 7 days a week and go from nights to days again, they have to get off at 11PM or midnight and come in at 7 or 8AM... an 8 hour turnaround. I don't have to do this because I'm on a 4 crew rotation where all 168 hours of the week are covered by somebody.

If you have the leverage to change your hours though, by all means go for it. People should speak up for what they want in the workplace within reason. Just keep in mind that old saying.. nobody is irreplaceable.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:36 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,134,378 times
Quote:

which obv only gives me Saturday and Sunday to get everything done that I need to errand-wise, and of course downtime.
When do you think other people run errands and have downtime? It's on weekends. Also, of you get up at a decent hour on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, you have plenty of time for errands.

While you may certainly talk to your employer about your new hours, do not mention your commute times. It is a fact that is irrelevant to them or your role. You choose (for whatever reason - cost, locality, friends) to live an hour away. That is not their issue.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:25 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Premise: I think my company is going ask that my schedule be changed to impossible hours. I would like people's opinions on whether they agree and how to make a cogent argument to my boss about it. I LOVE my job and I don't want to leave, so any advice on this situation would be helpful.

A little background: Right now, I'm working 40 hours a week, 10 hour days, four days per week. I have a commute that's a little over an hour, so when it's all said and done, I'm working a 12 hour day. I'm ok with that. My question is about the times they want me to finish and come back.

Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, I work 11am-9:30pm and Wednesdays 8am-5:30pm. As it stands, on Tuesdays I get home at 10:30pm and then have to get up again at 6:30am to head back to work. I work at a hospital managing patients and I have so much adrenaline that when I get home at 10:30pm on Tuesday it's almost impossible for me to get to sleep at a decent hour and I'm dragging myself through Wednesday.

I get a total of 4 hours sleep on Tuesday night. By the time I get home from work on Wednesday, I'm exhausted and go right to bed, so even though it's my only free night during the week, I use it by sleeping.

All that is manageable enough, because I get Fridays off and it makes up for it. Except NOW I'm hearing they want to change my schedule to this:

I'm so convinced that this schedule is not going to work for me that I might have to start looking for a new job, which I really don't want to do because I love my job.

My biggest concern is that because I'm working with patients, I won't be able to make the best decision and the best choices when it comes to patient care because I'm going to be so exhausted. My next concern is that it's totally going to wreck my whole week. I know myself, and I know I'm going to be so tired on Wednesday and Friday, that I'm going to spend the whole rest of my night sleeping, which obv only gives me Saturday and Sunday to get everything done that I need to errand-wise, and of course downtime.

What do you all think?
This is what you say. It is a totally valid point

You have 3 morning/week plus weekends to run errands. That's more than a lot of people have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment