Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 03:14 PM

348 posts, read 846,987 times

Advertisements

I am an Administrative Assistant and have been at the same company for 10 years. A few weeks ago I requested vacation time off for the week of Christmas and my boss approved it. He said he didn’t know what was due during that week but I should go ahead and plan to take that time off. I asked him are you sure I should go ahead and make plans and he said yes. He said several times everyone is entitled to their vacation and if any projects come due we will find someone to back me up. [/SIZE]

Well this past Monday he said he didn’t think he would be able to give me the time off, that there was a big project due on one of the days I planned off. I told him it would cause me problems personally if I had to cancel my plans, that I already made commitments to other people, based on his assurance I should take off. I reminded him that he told me several times that he said everyone is entitled to take their vacation and that I would have a backup. He said yes but you are a part of this department and other people have their own jobs to do. I said I already made a commitment based on his several approvals and then he said okay that’s fine.[/SIZE]

Now he is acting like a prissy little boy. Today he was talking to me like I’m a 5-year old and he never does this (I never let him down over the years – I’m a 28 year veteran). He has been my boss for 5 years now and we pretty much get along but have bad moments (like him trying to renege on his word about vacation). He also approved for me to attend an all day off-site class a few weeks ago and just now tells me I should email him if I’m not going to be in the office. I let him know he approved the class and asked me the next morning how the class went. He said I am to send him an email next time because he’s busy and he doesn’t want people asking him where I’m at and he doesn’t know.[/SIZE]

He also has a bad reputation and nobody likes him. Over the years I’ve heard countless unflattering remarks about him from other men in the office but I never repeat what I hear. He frequently comes across as an egotistical overbearing narcissist know it all when dealing with people. He has a reputation of being difficult to work with. Other times he is real professional. We are all amazed that he is still there, in the same job, for 10 years. If you tell anyone in that office my boss wants to see you, you will get rolling eyes or maybe a small grimace.[/SIZE]

So anyways today I have a much better idea about how large this project is that is due the week I am out. I am thinking of telling him the best I can do is a few hours that Saturday before my vacation begins. Do you think this is a good idea?

Last edited by mkforu; 12-02-2011 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: font
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 03:36 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkforu View Post
...have been at the same company for 10 years.

He also has a bad reputation and nobody likes him.
We are all amazed that he is still there, in the same job, for 10 years.
Enjoy your vacation.
Turn off your phone and let the chips fall where they may.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:48 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Enjoy your vacation.
Yep.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:21 PM

2,719 posts, read 5,360,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkforu View Post

A few weeks ago I requested vacation time off for the week of Christmas and my boss approved it.

Well this past Monday he said he didn’t think he would be able to give me the time off,

I said I already made a commitment based on his several approvals and then he said okay that’s fine.

Now he is acting like a prissy little boy.

So anyways today I have a much better idea about how large this project is that is due the week I am out. I am thinking of telling him the best I can do is a few hours that Saturday before my vacation begins. Do you think this is a good idea?
I'm lost here. He said fine and is pouting about it. Why on earth would you volunteer to work on a Saturday? It's not a good idea. Go on your vacation and let him get over it.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:24 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Enjoy your vacation.
Are you for real?

MK, if it's not a big deal, cancel the plans. Times as these are when employers find out who is expendable and who is not.

Your absence will make him improvise and when you get back you will have a rude surprise waiting for you.

Admin assistant is a tough job. Exec assistant is tougher. My boss has more than three and she literally pelts them around.

Don't lose a job in this environment.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Are you for real?
Absolutely 100% for real.

Quote:
Times as these are when employers find out who is expendable and who is not.
And they'll find out who is a good manager and who creates problems.
---

The OP has bent over backwards already and received the permission apparently needed
to take vacation time at the #1 vacation period of the year.

The boss is acting outrageously.
Any sort of accommodation to such is as repugnant as his actions.

ps: I've got a $20 that says NOTHING will come of it...
and a $50 that says if something does come of it the OP will come out on top.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:56 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,230,626 times
Quote:
Are you for real?

MK, if it's not a big deal, cancel the plans. Times as these are when employers find out who is expendable and who is not.

Your absence will make him improvise and when you get back you will have a rude surprise waiting for you.

Admin assistant is a tough job. Exec assistant is tougher. My boss has more than three and she literally pelts them around.

I would go on the vacation especially if I had plane tickets or other reservations I had pre paid. You WILL find out who is expendable and if you are expendable it means you need to build some more skills or learn to be more shrewd so YOUR the one holding OTHERS over a barrel and not the other way around. I figure if I am laid off for trivial reasons it means that I am not marketable enough.

Instead of groveling for a job and acting like a slave get some skills and call the shots. Taking a reniged vacation will be the perfect litmus test to see if you need some more school/training/skills.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:58 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,230,626 times
Quote:
Are you for real?

This kind of mentality is why companies are getting away with what they are.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:09 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times
I don't know where you guys work, but the employment space is getting extremely aggressive and cathartic.

If I were in the OP's shoes, I'd save my job at any cost keeping credit card debt, student loans and mortgages in mind, and possibly kids.

Give out responsible pieces of advice rather than inciting someone to go against management who always calls the shots

Old 12-02-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
I don't know where you guys work, but the employment space is getting extremely aggressive and cathartic.

If I were in the OP's shoes, I'd save my job at any cost keeping credit card debt, student loans and mortgages in mind, and possibly kids.
I feel bad for you.
Grow a pair before you really take this sentiment to heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment