Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 05:11 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash potato View Post
Most of the time it IS a nosey woman! People think what they see on t.v. is how things really should be. News flash! t.v. is not reality. There are plenty of other innocuous subjects to talk about besides one's personal life. How about what was on t.v., the weather or, gasp, something work related!
a woman asked me that question today..."how was your weekend? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 05:35 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
a woman asked me that question today..."how was your weekend? lol
And your polite response should have been "Fine, thanks. How was yours?"

Then go about your business.

Funny, one of my male co-workers asked me the same question.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:17 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And your polite response should have been "Fine, thanks. How was yours?"

Then go about your business.

Funny, one of my male co-workers asked me the same question.

I think she only asked me because I was out with one of her girlfriends

Old 10-24-2011, 10:58 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I never understood or bought into this. If I never hung out with the co-worker why ask me that?

I understand asking if its a holiday, but a normal weekend? whats the point of asking that?
It kind of annoys me. If I want to be polite, I just say "have a nice weekend". If someone wants me to know what they are doing, they can volunteer it, otherwise, I mind my own business.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:52 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,139,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Do you think it had something to do with him wanting to see you again the following day?
Guess I'll never know, since he didn't come out and ask to see me again, or if he was just being nosy or just trying to make small talk. I'd hate to think that I screwed it all up by my answer to that one question, but I got dumped anyway. Not sure if that was one of the reasons. I was more worried that if I said "I've got nothing to do tomorrow", he'd get all judgemental and think I had a really dull life and think I was a pathetic loser.
I need to try to be more defensive and answer this type of question with a "why do you ask?", whether it's in a business setting or purely social.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:59 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,139,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Well, since you all asked, I've had a long weekend. Yesterday was originally a programmed closed day so I had set up a urologist appointment. The School Board changed it to an in-session 1/2 day but I took it off anyway since I didn't want to have to reschedule the Dr. appointment yet again (an advantage to having 300 sick days accumulated).

Today I piddled around the house some and did what I jokingly call chores, mostly just yard stuff and refilling the bird feeders. In about an hour I'm meeting up with my hunting buddy and we're going to squeeze in a couple hour duck hunt in the marsh, it's the last day of the first split of the season. It's mostly to scout for geese, the season for them starts in a couple weeks.

Tomorrow I have to sit down and catch up on paperwork for 240 students.
It's a whole lot easier answering the "how was your weekend?" question. But since I generally don't plan out my weekends ahead of time, the "got any plans this weekend?" throws me off, not to mention that it's usually asked by people who I know don't give a rat's ass about me, so it's full of...insincerity.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:57 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash potato View Post
Most of the time it IS a nosey woman! People think what they see on t.v. is how things really should be. News flash! t.v. is not reality. There are plenty of other innocuous subjects to talk about besides one's personal life. How about what was on t.v., the weather or, gasp, something work related!
We have enough hours in the day to talk about work, so every once in a while it's nice to discuss "unimportant" stuff. In fact, I once dared to ask a co-worker something business-related on their lunch break, and got a (sarcastic but not mean) scolding over it... "I'm on lunch, no work talk!" Oh, and we do discuss other topics like TV, weather, news, etc, so it's not as though we're ONLY talking about that one subject.

I work with 12 women and 2 men, so we're a rather chatty/gossipy group... we often ask each other our plans for the weekend, for no reason other than small talk. Maybe some of you can't stand your co-workers, or you're just a generally unfriendly person - but at least for me, it's nice to share these little parts of our lives without getting TOO personal. We spend up to 40 hours/week together, and I actually LIKE my co-workers. So why not? We're working hard most of the time, but even my boss once said "If we're gonna be stuck here all week, we might as well have a little fun together!" So talking a bit is fine, even encouraged, and enjoyed by most of the people at my job.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:16 AM

379 posts, read 813,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I just say "have a nice weekend".
I like that. So what you're saying is, if someone asks, "so what are you doing this weekend?", you reply "have a nice weekend". Then they'd have to repeat the question and say "no, I said: what are you doing this weekend?" and your reply is...."have a nice weekend"!! I love it!

Old 10-28-2011, 09:25 PM

379 posts, read 813,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I work with 12 women and 2 men, so we're a rather chatty/gossipy group
You're lucky.
Quote:
Maybe some of you can't stand your co-workers
Hate to say you're right there, but you are. However, I'm the doe-eyed type so you really have to work hard to earn my dislike.
Quote:
or you're just a generally unfriendly person -
Not the case
Quote:
my boss once said "If we're gonna be stuck here all week, we might as well have a little fun together!"
I believe that too. Guess I've just been unlucky. I'll have to do an analysis now.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:29 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I don't want to know about your martial problems
Oh, yeah, I have been having problems breaking those danged boards at karate class. How did you know?

Quote:
I have made friends through volunteer work and political campaigns. And find I "click" better with people who share similar interests and views.
What happens when someone you work with shares similar interests and views? Are they not worthy of friendship just because you work with them? That's awfully shallow, and self-defeating at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment