Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2011, 10:06 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times

Advertisements

I still think it's rude because people could come in after you're done and have to experience the smell. If you've taken steps to spray, light a match, or use those odor prevention drops, then no, I guess you're not being rude, but trying to be courteous. (But I still think decorum dictates that we wait until we get home).

Asking businesses if it's "allowed" has nothing to do with my point. I never said it should be prohibited by any workplace, business, or by any rule or law. People's own self control and etiquette should cause them to act appropriately.

We already have too many rules and laws to replace the self control and sense of etiquette people should be exercising on their own just by being decent citizens.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Of all the things in today's American workplace to get riled about!! I had my large intestine removed due to Ulcerative Colitis, man I'd get canned and probably prosecuted at your workplace LOL
Please! read my posts. I NEVER suggested a policy or written rule against this. And I repeatedly said that people with legitimate GI problems are not included in my rant.

And I'm not riled. I'm actually rather amused at this point. Yesterday I was annoyed at best, not riled.

This thread was meant to be a rant, but a fun rant. I thought there would be at least 4-5 other people in the world who would say "Agh! I hate that too! People do that in my office all the time and I don't know what on earth they're thinking!"

But instead I got numerous members of the Poopers Pride Coalition. You never know.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:11 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,382,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I still think it's rude because people could come in after you're done and have to experience the smell. If you've taken steps to spray, light a match, or use those odor prevention drops, then no, I guess you're not being rude, but trying to be courteous. (But I still think decorum dictates that we wait until we get home).

Asking businesses if it's "allowed" has nothing to do with my point. I never said it should be prohibited by any workplace, business, or by any rule or law. People's own self control and etiquette should cause them to act appropriately.

We already have too many rules and laws to replace the self control and sense of etiquette people should be exercising on their own just by being decent citizens.
Well you will continue to feel offended for the rest of your life unless you live outside the US because there is no general etiquette or societal decorum that dictates that one should only poop at home. That is your individual hang up passed down from your family.

So you will have to deal with it.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:12 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
When a person eats, it starts a wave of [URL="http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002282.htm"]peristalsis[/URL] in the gastrointestinal tract. When peristalsis occurs in the intestines, it produces an effect much like pushing the contents of a sausage out of its casing. The result is that waste is pushed down through the descending colon, and then into the rectum, thus signaling the need to defecate. Although gastric motility varies from person to person, most people feel the need to defecate within a few hours of eating. That means that those who eat breakfast may be inclined to have a bowel movement when they get to work or right after that 9:00 a.m. staff meeting. They may also have to defecate in the afternoon, a couple of hours after lunch.

Defecating when you have the urge has several health benefits, including the elimination of bacteria from the digestive tract and the prevention of constipation (and subsequent development of hemorrhoids owing to straining when trying to eliminate hard stools later). Withholding bowel movements has the effect of destroying sensation in the rectum so that eventually, you cannot feel the urge for a bowel movement until long after one is necessary, which also results in constipation.

Regularity is a crucial part of gastrointestinal health, and as my health--indeed my very comfort--is more important than anyone else's tender sensibilities in a public bathroom, dang straight I am going to poop when I need to.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:18 AM

That's certainly your right to poop whenever you feel the impulse. And it's my right to think it's disgusting (and say so) if you do it where others have to deal with it.

I keep thinking a lot of these Poopers Rights Advocates are people whose parents applauded them every time they pooped back when they were potty training, and now they are all just grown up 2-year-olds who are still "proud" of their poo and want everyone to experience it.

Look what I did! Hooray!

Old 11-01-2011, 10:22 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Well, OP, if you don't like the stink, why don't YOU stay out of the bathroom?If you expect your co-workers to hold it all day for your benefits, why don't you, instead, hold it for your own benefit? No one's forcing you to go in there.

Also, OP, why don't you place a can of air freshner in the restroom since you're so particular? What are you, some spoiled only child who never went to camp? do your number 1 as quick as you can and get out of there, unless somehow there's something about the stink that attracts you

Old 11-01-2011, 10:24 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Quote:

"Decent Citizens" don't poop----we should teach that in high school civics!

So, would you rather have a co-worker go around farting all day? At some point, something has to give!

Old 11-01-2011, 10:24 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,872,464 times
Quote:
1. Um, no. I am in management.
2. I certainly don't hang out in the rest room. I go in, quickly do my business, wash my hands, and leave. But even if I'm only in there 2-3 minutes, I hate having to breathe in offensive odors.

Yes, I agree it's hilarious: The fact that people poop in public is funny. The fact that I can't stand it, and I'm apparently in the minority is funny, and the extreme defensiveness of the "poopers" is funny.
If breathing offensive odors offends you so much, then why don't you hold your bladder til you get home? All you have to do is train your body, right? (your words)

Old 11-01-2011, 10:26 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
That's certainly your right to poop whenever you feel the impulse. And it's my right to think it's disgusting (and say so) if you do it where others have to deal with it.

I keep thinking a lot of these Poopers Rights Advocates are people whose parents applauded them every time they pooped back when they were potty training, and now they are all just grown up 2-year-olds who are still "proud" of their poo and want everyone to experience it.

Look what I did! Hooray!
Actually, that you bring this up suggests that you had a bad experience with your own potty training. Perhaps your parents attempted to potty train you too early, or you were punished severely for having an accident, and therefore became obsessed with holding in your feces. In fact, being rewarded for doing so may have caused to to associate holding in your bowel movements with moral superiority and--dare I say it--pleasure, and therefore you have become fixated on it.

Like so, bold/underline added for emphasis:

Quote:
No, I'm different from your friend, because I would just enjoy the dinner and movie and wait to poo until later. I can delay gratification; I would not rush home right away.

If you work in mental health, then you will appreciate it when I say that Freud would most likely have found that you are stuck in the second stage of psychosexual development to be so hung up on this. Indeed, the term "anal rententive" would seem to fit perfectly.

Have a nice day!

Old 11-01-2011, 10:39 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times
Quote:

Look what I did! Hooray!
Fair enough. Then it's entirely possible based on your line of thinking that your parents dropped you on your head every time you filled your diaper to capacity with poop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment