Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 06:29 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,807,148 times

Advertisements

This has been the hardest thing for me to accomplish. Let me first say that I'm thankful to have the job that I'm currently in, however I've been trying to relocate to another state for the past year and a half. Finally sold the house, "thankfully" in May so that can no longer hold me back. However it is just tough when you are an out of state candidate. Unfortunately, I don't have a skill set that can set me part from the general population. I state in the cover letter that Im willing to relocate at my own expense as I have $10,000 saved up/ I've left my address off the cover letter(I just have phone# an email address) hoping I will get some interest. Some say just pickup and go, but in today's economy moving without a job is not an option for me unfortunately. Sorry for the long rant, but it is very frustrating and I just needed to vent. Thanks CD for being my sounding board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 07:27 AM
mcq

337 posts, read 672,990 times
"Unfortunately, I don't have a skill set that can set me part from the general population."
It's frustrating, but that will always make it tough. I'm in a similar boat. Applying mostly out of state for the last 8+ months. That's where most opportunities are, not local, for me. If they can get someone just as qualified locally, why not go the easier route? I feel I have a skill set more uncommon than say, an administrative assistant for example, but then again, I am also not a high level executive either.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:26 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Asa long as there are plenty of local candidates, it's hard to get an interview if you are out of state. Those who succeed take their savings and move, then look for a job. These days employers only pay for interview transportation/relocation for the highest level executives, and people interviewed by phone are at a severe disadvantage.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:07 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Remember this: People like helping people. Please like being asked their advice.

I can only tell you what I did (though it was many years ago and I had an accounting degree). I sent letters of interest and my resume to many potential employers. Those letters clearly indicated that I was intending to move to the area, and was trying to network and learn more about potential employers before I made the actual move. I did NOT ask for an interview or if they had any job openings. I don't think I even used the word job in the cover letter.

I followed these letter up with a phone call, explaining that I would be visiting the area between the dates of X, and would appreciate meeting with them for about 15 minutes to get their advice. I was surprised that about 30-35% of the folks agreed to meet with me. Many made suggestions of who else to contact.

I eventually secured a job offer from one of those 15 minute meetings. No, they were no looking for a new employee but developed a brand new job to grab me while they could.
I stayed in contact with everyone that met with me or spent time with me on the phone, and had job offers from two of them years later.

I footed the airfare, hotel bill and rental car. When I wasn't talking to people in my industry or headhunters, I looked for apartments that I could rent when I finally did relocate.

Note, however, that my resume indicated my current employer, who was considered to be one of the top two firms in the industry at that time. That certainly opened a lot of doors.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:40 AM

23,541 posts, read 24,041,250 times
Couple of things:

1/ Networking with someone at firms you are targeting, would help get your resume in front of the right people. You would not be looked at as an "outsider".

2/ Relocation is very complex and an additional "step" for bringing in a candidate. Most companies won't do it, unless there were no qualified candidates in the local pool. Use your network to "recommend" you for an open position. This would provide some leverage (internal referral) on your application.

3/ One of my friends was in a similar situation. This past summer, he and his wife just sold their home and relocated on their own to Denver, CO, without a job. He found one, 3 months later. Once in Denver, he was no longer regarded as an "out of state" candidate.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:56 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,661,722 times
Where are you moving to?
Ive had to look for jobs on a lot of states, cold.
Some states just dont have work. Period. Florida was one of those. A failing, service oriented economy. Nobody is going to get a 'real' job in FL for a while. I looked for three years and never got real work the whole time I was there.
In Vermont, they didnt hire new residents because employers know that anyone moving to that area of New England is a high-percentage risk to leave a year or two later. They are not going to hire/train someone just to watch them leave. If you are going to a place like that, you may want to include in your cover letter, a sentence or two elaborating on why you are going to be there long-term. Might help . . .

Old 09-07-2013, 12:53 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,807,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Where are you moving to?
Ive had to look for jobs on a lot of states, cold.
Some states just dont have work. Period. Florida was one of those. A failing, service oriented economy. Nobody is going to get a 'real' job in FL for a while. I looked for three years and never got real work the whole time I was there.
In Vermont, they didnt hire new residents because employers know that anyone moving to that area of New England is a high-percentage risk to leave a year or two later. They are not going to hire/train someone just to watch them leave. If you are going to a place like that, you may want to include in your cover letter, a sentence or two elaborating on why you are going to be there long-term. Might help . . .
Charlotte to Phoenix

Old 09-07-2013, 01:49 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Get a cell phone with the area code for the new city/state.

You can go to boost dot com (or many other prepaid carriers) and buy a cheap phone and then choose the per minute plan. You have to dig on their web site to find the Per Minute plan. then you buy minutes every quarter and only pay for minutes you use.

Put that tel# on the resume. Have a professional sounding VM greeting.

Don't bring up where you are located unless they ask you first. If you pass the phone interview and they want to meet you in person, go along with it but don't start thinking out loud on phone with them about getting a flight. Just ask them what days are best for the on-site interview. Tell them you will check your schedule and get back with them. Then find some flights and get that worked out (dates/times). Then schedule the interview and once they confirm, book your flight and hotel. Don't bring this up at any time unless they ask.

for now, research all flight that go there and remember the dates/airlines. Then when it's time to book a flight, you can do so quickly.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:46 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post

You can go to boost dot com (or many other prepaid carriers) and buy a cheap phone and then choose the per minute plan. You have to dig on their web site to find the Per Minute plan. then you buy minutes every quarter and only pay for minutes you use.

Don't bring up where you are located unless they ask you first. If you pass the phone interview and they want to meet you in person, go along with it but don't start thinking out loud on phone with them about getting a flight. Just ask them what days are best for the on-site interview. Tell them you will check your schedule and get back with them. Then find some flights and get that worked out (dates/times). Then schedule the interview and once they confirm, book your flight and hotel. Don't bring this up at any time unless they ask.

for now, research all flight that go there and remember the dates/airlines. Then when it's time to book a flight, you can do so quickly.
To expand on the phone # idea, you can also get a local address. Sign up for a Mail Boxes Etc. account in that city and they will give you a physical address there. They will forward all of your mail to where you presently live. Put the local Mail Boxes, etc. address on your resume. Voila, you are a local candidate!

Old 09-07-2013, 03:08 PM

389 posts, read 921,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post

no phone cell necessary, just get your own voip softphone with a local number and sign up at voip.ms. I dont think even getting a local number is necessary, most people use cell phone and numbers move around with you, regardless of how long you stay. I'd only see a problem if you had a Canadian number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment