Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 09:00 PM

88 posts, read 227,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash potato View Post
So he knows where you work?

Sheesh! Interesting that you didn't bend to the pressure and show up, which, I guess, is what he was aiming for. haha!
life threatening or threatening your job? How can he threaten your job if you don't work for him?
I'm glad you didn't rush right over, which is what he wanted.
I think he already did all he is going to do. I doubt he will waste his time when he knows there is nothing he can do about your future or current work situation. What can he do really? Call your current employer and tell them that you backed out of work two days beforehand? Even so, would your current employer can you for that? I doubt it. All he really wanted was you to cover the store. Now that that's over, he'll crawl back into his lair and with any luck he'll never call you again since you couldn't help him out. I think you've heard the last of him, don't you?
It's possible your current employer will find out but I don't think it affects them. It's the other guy who harrassed you that's the problem.
There is moe story behind this. I think his former and current eployers ae Indians and knwo each other well and this guy is concerned about things that he is not mentioning here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 11:25 AM

178 posts, read 332,380 times
I would keep the message on my recorder and wait and see what happens before stirring the pot. Calling UPS might help. But it might scare your current employer that you are a loose cannon, and he might start looking for reasons to let you go.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:39 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
I'd just ignore him. What's he going to do, call your current employer and tell him, "He worked for me off the books on his day off and now he won't do it again?"

Unless you have signed something for your new employer stating that you would not work for anyone else, or any other UPS franchise, I don't see what your ex-boss can do to you. He sounds like a real slime.

And if you knew he had a reputation as "shady" among his other ex-employees, well, no offense, but that will teach you to work off the books for a franchise that could be considered in competition with the one you currently work for. Seems like a no-brainer to stay away from the guy once he asked you to do something shady, yourself, recommendation be hanged.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:55 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sms72584 View Post
I do have my under the table wages documented so that the proper taxes have been taken out. Thank you so much for the number, this is extremely helpful. If I file a claim through the UPS number against him will that affect my current with a different franchise owner? And can my former "boss" actually do anything to my current job?
Filing a complaint shouldn't affect your current job--that's the entire point of the hotline. Plus, whistleblower laws should protect you.

As for the folsom boss' threats about your current job...he can only do something to the extent that your current boss allows. Assuming your current boss is not shady, that's nothing. Quite probably if the folsom boss tries, your current boss will also be calling the hotline.

The comments on here about both store owners being Indian and therefore shady borders on racism. Shadiness is not a racial issue and just because someone is of a certain race does not mean they will collude with someone else of the same race in illegal activities.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:01 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I assume you get paid, right?

I am often appalled by people going straight to their supervisor, HR, Labor Department or the Supreme Court. Are you just a child? I'd agree if it's something illegal but for minor work dispute, why not try to resolve it with the individual?

Firstly, since this Folsom boss recommended you to your current job, I think you are very ungrateful not trying to go out of your way to help him. I'd be very pissed if I were him.

Secondly, if you promise to help, then you need to stick to that promise. That means, when you say "something came up", it'd better be someone important to you is dying not some crap like your kids want to go to soccer game that day. This is what we call "integrity."

Thirdly, why not try to talk to the Folsom boss? Tell him that it's taking a lot of time from you and you'd like to help but your free time is XYZ days of the week. See if he can work that into his schedule. Personally, I'd only have this talk after I help out over a period of 6 months because the Folsom boss is the reason I still have a job.
So if you give a person a recommendation for a job, they are obliged to break the law for you forever? What kind of douchebag employer are you??Breaking tax and employment laws and becoming an indentured servant is not what WE call 'integrity'. It might be what you call it, but it's not what the general population does.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:28 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
So if you give a person a recommendation for a job, they are obliged to break the law for you forever? What kind of douchebag employer are you??Breaking tax and employment laws and becoming an indentured servant is not what WE call 'integrity'. It might be what you call it, but it's not what the general population does.
Where did I say anything about breaking the law?

Old 11-18-2011, 11:55 AM

5 posts, read 5,766 times
Quote:

I am often appalled by people going straight to their supervisor, HR, Labor Department or the Supreme Court. Are you just a child? I'd agree if it's something illegal but for minor work dispute, why not try to resolve it with the individual?

Firstly, since this Folsom boss recommended you to your current job, I think you are very ungrateful not trying to go out of your way to help him. I'd be very pissed if I were him.

Secondly, if you promise to help, then you need to stick to that promise. That means, when you say "something came up", it'd better be someone important to you is dying not some crap like your kids want to go to soccer game that day. This is what we call "integrity."

Thirdly, why not try to talk to the Folsom boss? Tell him that it's taking a lot of time from you and you'd like to help but your free time is XYZ days of the week. See if he can work that into his schedule. Personally, I'd only have this talk after I help out over a period of 6 months because the Folsom boss is the reason I still have a job.

He recomened meand another co-worker to this new boss to make up for something that he had already done to us and to make sure we kept our mouths shut about what he was doing, (that is a whole other long story though..)

As far as helping him, as a matter of fact it was a death in the family. A very close family member was being taken off of life support after suffering a stroke.

After his threats I refuse to help him any further, among other reasons.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:59 AM

5 posts, read 5,766 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
I'd just ignore him. What's he going to do, call your current employer and tell him, "He worked for me off the books on his day off and now he won't do it again?"

Unless you have signed something for your new employer stating that you would not work for anyone else, or any other UPS franchise, I don't see what your ex-boss can do to you. He sounds like a real slime.

And if you knew he had a reputation as "shady" among his other ex-employees, well, no offense, but that will teach you to work off the books for a franchise that could be considered in competition with the one you currently work for. Seems like a no-brainer to stay away from the guy once he asked you to do something shady, yourself, recommendation be hanged.
My new boss and my old boss are friends. Atually my new boss bought his current store from my old boss a few years ago. My new boss was aware of my former boss calling me and asking for my help. You are right though, i should have never gone back to help him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment