Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 11:05 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peet111 View Post
A strange question when they seem to have lost millions of their customer's money. Maybe someone could find the mismanagment before figuring out how nicely they will live. I think they'll just move onto the next job as soon as they can get past the questions about the company collapsing. Nice it was led by ex-Sachs guy too, that should tell us something.
You do realize that finance is only one industry, right? Are you suggesting that everyone who gets laid off works in finance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 01:01 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,481,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If you make $200,000... your unemployment benefit payment is equivalent to $100,000 income... for up to 6 months or whatever your plan is. They'll have to cut back, but should be enough to pay their bills.

People with high income typically save a good portion of it rather than spending it anyways. I don't think cutting their salary down to half will kill them too much.
What serious?!?! From what I understand, unemployment has a max. Like in MASS, the highest paying state, the max is $650 a week. Multiply that by 52 an it only comes out to $33.8K...imo.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
What serious?!?! From what I understand, unemployment has a max. Like in MASS, the highest paying state, the max is $650 a week. Multiply that by 52 an it only comes out to $33.8K...imo.
That's only for state unemployment insurance. There is no max for what private unemployment insurance covers... although each individual insurer does have its own limit.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:18 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
That's only for state unemployment insurance. There is no max for what private unemployment insurance covers... although each individual insurer does have its own limit.
Based on what I've read it doesn't look so great, even buying into it pre-recession.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:32 AM

49 posts, read 54,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
The smart ones have plenty of money saved up and live off the dividends from stocks or interest from bonds. My dad wasn't rich or anything, but he's been living off his dividends for 5 years now. He won't work for anything under $15/hr, so he figures it's the end of the line for him.

I'm sure these newly unemployed execs are worried, but they have far less to worry about then run of the mill workers like you or I. 3% of 1 million dollars is $30,000 a year. Add to that another 15K or so, whatever they get from unemployment, and that's 45K a year. There are ways to up that percentage by increasing risk, but still, some people make that 3% a year by going to work every day. These guys do it with a few clicks of a mouse, or a call to their brokerage You or I wouldn't make that $30,000 on UI.

As for their expensive lifestyles... Who says they live expensive? Warren Buffett claims he lives on 50K a year, and I can believe it. Smart money doesn't necessarily live the glamorous lifestyles people always think. You can have money, or you can have things, or you can have both in appropriate quantities. Markets go up and down, and they know this.

Your answer is the best here. I read a book he wrote years ago and although it didn't all make sense to me (I was very very young) it made me realize what foolish decisions I was making financially. I could have easily lived on much less, stop working so hard and now I do. Find a way to make money work for you. The guarantee is that **** will happen, ready or not. Id rather be on the first half. Comfortable.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:08 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,951,676 times
Quote:
If you make $200,000... your unemployment benefit payment is equivalent to $100,000 income... for up to 6 months or whatever your plan is. They'll have to cut back, but should be enough to pay their bills.

People with high income typically save a good portion of it rather than spending it anyways. I don't think cutting their salary down to half will kill them too much.
That is the BIGGEST crock of **** I've read on this forum in a long time. The MOST UE pays out is about $2500/month, and that's in places like NY or California.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:09 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,951,676 times
Quote:
That's only state unemployment. You're forgetting to add on private unemployment insurance. It usually covers up to 50% of your income.
MOST people don't purchase private UE.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:17 PM

Location: Olde English District, SC (look it up on Wikipedia)
243 posts, read 366,918 times
Well, I had dealings with a guy in exactly this situation. I responded to an ad on Craigslist where he was selling some parts that I needed for a classic car I own. He was also selling a classic car of his own to try to keep from loosing his house. It was pretty bad--he had a couple of youngish kids, lived in a fancy house in an area that has been hemorrhaging jobs for for the past few years (so his house is probably unsellable for what he most likely owes), and looked to be at least 45 years old. Also, he wasn't originally from the area, so any other family he had was probably pretty far away. A terrible situation. His classic car has been on Craigslist and Ebay off and on since late Summer.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
That is the BIGGEST crock of **** I've read on this forum in a long time. The MOST UE pays out is about $2500/month, and that's in places like NY or California.
You're pushing the BIGGEST crock of ****. I've seen UI pay out way above $2500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
MOST people don't purchase private UE.
Sure they do. At least the smart ones do.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:19 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Read the book, "How Starbucks Saved My Life". It is a textbook of what happens when high earners hit the skids.

The movie comes out next year.

Read the book, and picture that guy's life without writing a bestseller.

"Do you want that iced?"....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment