Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 05:15 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,826,625 times

Advertisements

Great Job Openings, No Candidates - Careers Articles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 05:43 PM

250 posts, read 905,858 times
I think those articles are misleading.

While companies do have openings that don't fill right away, companies often tend to delay new hiring as well, so the position still is listed as vacant.

I interviewed for a job in September once, the dept. wanted me to start and I wanted the job, but those higher up decided to slow down the process, so I didn't start until November, and when I started I had to start with a backlog of work that should have been done in October.

Saved them money.

If a position needs to be filled in a short time, it will be filled.

If experience is an issue, they can find the best match and/or foot the bill for some training.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:38 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,940,293 times
Quote:
As a result, human resources spends too much time sifting through résumés for people who aren't remotely qualified, and can't find many that are. "We've gotten close to 300 résumés for a service coordinator position. Out of that we brought in four people," she said.
We're going through that right now.

We have a job opening at the company I work for right now that's been empty since May.

The offer is $40,000 to $50,000 to start.

95% of your time is spent away from the office traveling by yourself with out of town overnights maybe three nights a month. Company pays all expenses.

Company vehicle along with usual benefits.

Candidate must have high school diploma and NICET III certification in the inspection of water based fire systems. You must also pass a drug test (we are on a number of military bases), not be a felon and possess a clean driving record. One or two minor tickets can slide but if it's a DUI don't bother.

The certification is a state wide mandatory requirement, there are no ways around it and it doesn't matter if you have a PhD in whatever. What part of "certification is mandatory" do people not understand?

There are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of these jobs available around the country but few, nearly zero really, qualified applicants.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:47 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,639,042 times
Same as my company. We need actuaries or those who have studied actuarial sciences and who are able to pass the actuary exams-- in fact you are paid for months of study time and can command a pretty handsome salary.

People with the skillset of a good actuary are hard to find and the tests are pretty brutal.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:28 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,769,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
Same as my company. We need actuaries or those who have studied actuarial sciences and who are able to pass the actuary exams-- in fact you are paid for months of study time and can command a pretty handsome salary.

People with the skillset of a good actuary are hard to find and the tests are pretty brutal.
That doesn't match my experience. That's my line of work. I passed some exams while going to university, got a job (no study benefits), switched to another job (no study benefits), got laid off last December, and didn't find anything for 7 months. The job I have today, like the others, doesn't have any study benefits. I refuse to pay the hundreds of dollars in tuition and fees myself and use all my vacation time or weekends to study. I spent about $30,000 out of pocket for my college degree, so I am through studying on my dime. I'll work or I'll study but I'm not doing both.

Please don't take this personally, but what you wrote is a line of B.S. that you and I and lots of other people were fed. The same is true of teaching -- schools cried about how they can't find math teachers, yet when I passed the exams to be a certified math teacher earlier this year, I discovered that there aren't any jobs for new math teachers.

Whenever I hear "we can't find qualified applicants!" (like the title of this thread), I take that with a grain of salt because I've already been lied to twice.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:42 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
They are going to have to accept entry-level people who just have the certificate or the college degree instead of rejecting them for having no experience. These companies are thinking they can get EVERYTHING because of the high UI and aren't willing to compromise ... MUST have experience ... so it's a lose/lose. For positions that MUST have experience ... perhaps they should PROMOTE someone they already have and hire a new person to take a jr. or entry level.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:02 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,639,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
That doesn't match my experience. That's my line of work. I passed some exams while going to university, got a job (no study benefits), switched to another job (no study benefits), got laid off last December, and didn't find anything for 7 months. The job I have today, like the others, doesn't have any study benefits. I refuse to pay the hundreds of dollars in tuition and fees myself and use all my vacation time or weekends to study. I spent about $30,000 out of pocket for my college degree, so I am through studying on my dime. I'll work or I'll study but I'm not doing both.

Please don't take this personally, but what you wrote is a line of B.S. that you and I and lots of other people were fed. The same is true of teaching -- schools cried about how they can't find math teachers, yet when I passed the exams to be a certified math teacher earlier this year, I discovered that there aren't any jobs for new math teachers.

Whenever I hear "we can't find qualified applicants!" (like the title of this thread), I take that with a grain of salt because I've already been lied to twice.
Well, I guess you are calling my company BS. Just because that has not been your experience does not mean that some companies do not offer those benefits, study time, etc. Heck, I was interested in pursuing it at my own company since on each successful pass of each exam in the series there is a bonus paid. However, as much as I love certain types of math-- I highly doubt I have the stamina to pursue the level that would even make me a remote contender to prep for those exams.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:25 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
Maybe HR depts are stupid ... I would have hired that guy with the degree in math working currently at the cafe. He is probably a genius and just trying to get by. I'm sure he could handle the entry level service coordinator position vs. a buffoon who weaseled their way into 5 years experience from people they knew(which happens way too often)

JS1 I agree, I know many people with more advanced degrees but the pay isn't matching up and they are 10's of thousands in debt now. Yeah I could have *done* it too but, I like being debt free. This country has a big catch 22 for higher education. If their were guaranteed tier pay as a result of it, I would do it, but the risk is too much right now. The more I go into debt on these risky propositions especially when faced with h1b's and overall job outsourcing, means the farther I am from retiring.

subway I agree wholeheartedly...

I had 2 interviews in the last month, I thought that I aced both interviews...
One job I interviewed for 2 days after emailing resume, and I got the job offer the next day , this is a company that knows what they are doing, and wants somebody to work ASAP. I have had similar experiences where, if you are good fit, it was wham bam, your hired.

Others, not so much... the other job I interviewed for, went very well, and a very good fit for it. I followed up a week later, still nothing, then 3 weeks later got a letter that said their business requirements had changed and they are no longer hiring for the position.

I did the same thing back in August, interviewed, and waited and waited, they said they were waiting on documents to go through... they never got the job requisition, and turns out they were waiting to fire somebody to fill the new req, I was just going to be their replacement (that person was my friend I knew within side the company), there was never a position open.

I think a lot of managers and directors just interview and build up resumes to hold on file, never having an actual position, or possibly hoping they get a great candidate then pushing the requisition up to upper management later.

Last edited by grapico; 11-06-2009 at 12:39 AM..

Old 11-06-2009, 02:33 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,240,207 times
Hmm...this problem could be solved if companies would maybe train people. What a concept!

Old 11-06-2009, 03:47 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,076,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Hmm...this problem could be solved if companies would maybe train people. What a concept!
I was thinking the same thing. If they REALLY need people, get some raw talent, mold them, invest in them and if you have to, make them sign a contract for a year that they will stay or they will owe the company $$ for training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment