Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 09:19 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,578,593 times

Advertisements

Some of you may have read my thread before. Thank you for reading this!

Basically I had an interview on Monday, December 5th. But it got moved to Tuesday, December 6th because one interviewer could not make it. On Tuesday, the same interviewer was not there. So, I felt kinda bummed but went on anyways. It is a prestigious company in my area so I was surprised.

I sent a thank you note to the interviewer who interviewed me afterwards and a simple non pesky message to the absent one suggesting that if she had time this week, I would love to reschedule to meet with her before she made a decision this week. I got back an email along these lines:

I meant to call you last week, but having been caring for my parents. I did see the information you left with (interviewer 1) and she was definitely impressed. I will not have time for an interview this week, but we should be making a decision and will let you know. Again, I am sorry I was not able to meet with you or give you a chance to meet.

Thanks,
Interviewer

Naturally, I am concerned. She does not want to meet up with me but I liked the definitely impressed part. I know me and the other interviewer hit up VERY well and she was impressed but will it hurt me if the other one has not seen me?

What do you think about the tone of this email? I think it means I am still in the running but may still have a disadvantage?

Last edited by Theliberalvoice; 12-12-2011 at 09:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 10:53 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,259,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Some of you may have read my thread before. Thank you for reading this!

Basically I had an interview on Monday, December 5th. But it got moved to Tuesday, December 6th because one interviewer could not make it. On Tuesday, the same interviewer was not there. So, I felt kinda bummed but went on anyways. It is a prestigious company in my area so I was surprised.

I sent a thank you note to the interviewer who interviewed me afterwards and a simple non pesky message to the absent one suggesting that if she had time this week, I would love to reschedule to meet with her before she made a decision this week. I got back an email along these lines:

I meant to call you last week, but having been caring for my parents. I did see the information you left with (interviewer 1) and she was definitely impressed. I will not have time for an interview this week, but we should be making a decision and will let you know. Again, I am sorry I was not able to meet with you or give you a chance to meet.

Thanks,
Interviewer

Naturally, I am concerned. She does not want to meet up with me but I liked the definitely impressed part. I know me and the other interviewer hit up VERY well and she was impressed but will it hurt me if the other one has not seen me?

What do you think about the tone of this email? I think it means I am still in the running but may still have a disadvantage?
I think you're fine. I think she probably legitimately doesn't have time for an interview because she may have a lot to catch up on if she missed time due to taking care of her parents. If anything, I think she'd make time if the first person who interviewed you wasn't sure if you'd be a good fit for sure. I would assume things are looking good for you honestly, but like anything in this job market, you can never be too sure. Good luck.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:50 AM

Thank you so much! I'm still very nervous. I don't want to be at a disadvantage because of the other interviewer not being there. Anyone else wanna offer their opinion?

Old 12-13-2011, 12:14 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,102,953 times
It happens. I'm afraid this won't tell you a yes or no. I have partners I work with on different ventures. Some of them have the complete authority to offer a position without clearing it with me. They have years of making good decisions and I trust them to make that decision in my absence, even if the area being recruited for is my expertise.

It could be a blow off. Here's the nice thing. If it's legit, hurray. If it's a blow off, it's one that would tell you that you really wouldn't want to work that person. Hopefully it's legit, but there is no knowing yet

Old 12-13-2011, 12:21 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,499,657 times
she simply does not have time to interview you and is allowing the other person(s) that interviewed you to make the decision. She already told you they are impressed. She is too busy with other stuff to deal with interviewing at this time. It was very nice of her to send you a reply.

Things sound promising for you. Sending you positive thoughts and well wishes.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:24 PM

12,109 posts, read 23,296,566 times
She didn't say she didn't want to meet with you--she said she didn't have time to meet with you. There is a difference. Sometimes my boss is so busy that even his managers and assistant directors have to schedule meetings just to see him. To me, the email means exactly what it says, so don't try to read anything into it.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:02 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,029,434 times
Quote:
Thank you so much! I'm still very nervous. I don't want to be at a disadvantage because of the other interviewer not being there. Anyone else wanna offer their opinion?
Hey TLV ... Good to hear from you. Personally, I think that second interviewer, based upon her response to you, just has a lot on her plate with caring for her parents and may be deferring to the judgment of the first interviewer - which sounded positive. I would not worry about it. If you don't hear anything within 2 weeks, then I would follow up with your contact. I wish you the best.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:38 AM

Got the email. Another candidate was chosen.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:05 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,499,657 times
Quote:
Got the email. Another candidate was chosen.

Sorry to hear that. Maybe the other candidate doesn't work out.

Many years ago, I interviewed for a position. They picked someone else. 3 months later, I got the job. The first pick person hired didn't work out.

Maybe you send her a nice letter stating you are still interested if they have a future opening. You can giver her your personal email and ask her to let you know if any future openings occur. If you were the 2nd pick, it would be convenient to her to reach out to you in the future as well.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:12 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,851,628 times
Sware2cod gave you good advice!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment